Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   How to Wire Footwell Lighting (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54183)

mexiken 01-30-2013 02:06 AM

Hello,

I'd prefer not to read all 35 pages, as I read a few and can tell there is a bunch of different ways to wire it. Can someone maybe explain what wiring is needed for either the headlights or the dash lighting ????

I'd prefer if the lights come on when I open the door, but more importantly, I'd like them to be on when I'm driving at night, so wiring tied to headlights or dash would be ideal.

Can I use the diagram from the first page and tap into that????

The Stig 01-30-2013 06:50 AM

Yellow wire going to your gauge cluster.

Aubrey64 02-02-2013 08:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the great write up! I am a complete beginner with wiring and this install took me maybe 30 minutes, it was extremely easy!

KalCorp 02-02-2013 08:49 PM

Ok so I had my lights hooked up to the dome lights for a long time now. Works good on and off automatically when doors are open.

However at shows when you turn on dome light it will time out and turn off after time.

Do you think adding another switched 12v line to the dome line will cause a problem ? Don't know if adding +12v to that line that is controlled by computer will back feed and break something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

copper3000 02-04-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aubrey64 (Post 6115556)
Thanks for the great write up! I am a complete beginner with wiring and this install took me maybe 30 minutes, it was extremely easy!

Beautiful! :thumbup:

Bigchiefs1 02-04-2013 10:56 PM

Listen to GEN5DIY!!!!! Best person on camaro 5 !!!!!!!

RiCorvette 02-05-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KalCorp (Post 6115595)
Ok so I had my lights hooked up to the dome lights for a long time now. Works good on and off automatically when doors are open.

However at shows when you turn on dome light it will time out and turn off after time.

Do you think adding another switched 12v line to the dome line will cause a problem ? Don't know if adding +12v to that line that is controlled by computer will back feed and break something.

There's another post about wiring up a on-off-on switch:
You can have it set to work with your dome light and fade, off, or
on using the Accessory wire

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...light=footwell

jeremy3721 02-08-2013 12:55 PM

Just bought a kit from Ikea that hopefully will allow me to select a color depending on my mood. Installed eBay blue LED's but the difference in color between footwell and dash lights is a little off putting to me. Instead if trying over and over again I thought this $40 kit will take the guesswork out IF I can successfully wire it up:).

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/55/img3137x.jpg

jeremy3721 02-08-2013 03:23 PM

Not sure where to post this request for help but perhaps someone can help get me started.

Related to the multi color dioder kit I bought from IKEA in the post above, I'm trying to understand what modifcations I need to make to hook this up in my car instead of to AC power how it's designed. The in-line transformer inputs at 120V and Outputs at 12VDC 5W Max. In my mind all I need to do is cut the wire at this transformer pictured above (effectively removing it) and wire it in directly to my car via one of the other methods listed in this thread. Should this work or is there more to it? I made the assumption that it would work since I get the same thing from the car electrical system as what the built in transformer would have supplied.

If you can't tell I'm no electrician :)

a.morblu 02-08-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy3721 (Post 6137917)
Not sure where to post this request for help but perhaps someone can help get me started.

Related to the multi color dioder kit I bought from IKEA in the post above, I'm trying to understand what modifcations I need to make to hook this up in my car instead of to AC power how it's designed. The in-line transformer inputs at 120V and Outputs at 12VDC 5W Max. In my mind all I need to do is cut the wire at this transformer pictured above (effectively removing it) and wire it in directly to my car via one of the other methods listed in this thread. Should this work or is there more to it? I made the assumption that it would work since I get the same thing from the car electrical system as what the built in transformer would have supplied.

If you can't tell I'm no electrician :)

You're right. You won't need the transformer if it out-puts 12V. Just snip it off and put a 12V battery on it to test.

jeremy3721 02-08-2013 09:14 PM

Not sure if anyone cares but I made a quick video of the LED strips I purchased from IKEA today. Seems like a cool solution since I can fine tune the color after installation. The kit cost $39.99. I screwed up the video orientation but whatever :)

http://youtu.be/1IUnkSeQV04

zandron263 03-10-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avalnch (Post 2345688)
As luck would have it, I was doing some fix'er up jobs around the house and one of them was to install new floor transition mouldings on some of the room door thresholds. I went to the Home Depot and picked up this plastic channel that is used to hold down the "T" shaped piece of floor moulding.

After the job was done, I had some extra lengths of the plastic channel and I thought, "This would be perfect for holding the LED foot well light strips" (that I just received from AAC). Haven't installed the strips yet, but have a look at these pics. The strip fits perfectly within the channel and it will be easy to zap strap them on to the underside of the dash where there are convenient holes. The passenger side is especially helpful cause there isn't a good flat surface for the light strips to be glued to. The footwell strips have 3M double sided sticky on it.

Attachment 165222

Attachment 165223

Attachment 165224

These plastic channels come in 36" lengths.

This is a fantastic tip for mounting led light strips for the foothills. I could not find a good location for the strips then I saw this post. I had some of this laying around from a flooring install and the light strip fit like it was made for this. I put some double sided tape on the bottom of the channel and it was super easy to mount especially on the passenger side where it's tough to find a smooth surface to stick the light strip. The extra mounting surface on the channel made sticking it up a breeze. Thanks for the tip and to the OP for the wiring pics they made the job easy.

Blues45th 03-23-2013 01:57 PM

With the ikea lights. Where did you put the control box?

DFWHD 04-03-2013 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, I finally got around to wiring my AAC / Oracle ABL LED strips in the footwell tonight after they sat in my closet for several months). The hardest part was finding the right size T-Tap and getting on my back with room to work under the dash. Here is a pic of the final result (not the best quality with an iPhone in the dark). I love the new look and the wife actually liked it too when she got in.