Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #85
gunslinger

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
I don't know if anyone missed the below quote, but the original article states that the motor that will debut next year in ALMS will be used in a wide range of production vehicles:

"Next year the rules change to 5.5 liters, and that will be a brand-new engine based on a new-generation family of V8 engines that are utilized throughout the GM line of production cars. So that's going to be an exciting time for us when we bring that out."

The only thing this new gen LSx needs to omit is DOD, I just don't trust those new-fangled lifters...too many parts.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #86
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
I don't know if anyone missed the below quote, but the original article states that the motor that will debut next year in ALMS will be used in a wide range of production vehicles:

"Next year the rules change to 5.5 liters, and that will be a brand-new engine based on a new-generation family of V8 engines that are utilized throughout the GM line of production cars. So that's going to be an exciting time for us when we bring that out."

The only thing this new gen LSx needs to omit is DOD, I just don't trust those new-fangled lifters...too many parts.
Yes, this might be why the Z was delayed.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #87
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post

That is the most important line to remember about this engine. Its a new generation of engines, not just 1 engine of a fixed displacement. There will be 4.XL truck engines and probably 6+L Corvette engines (something has to replace the LS7 right?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Yes, this might be why the Z was delayed.
It was delayed because fuel prices hit the roof, CAFE regulations were changed, and GM went bankrupt. Plus it was never expected to come until after the regular versions had proven successful. Odds are, GM knew exactly what the car will be like some time ago and haven't made changes to it since, but spending money on that program to move it forward just didn't make sense in the grand scheme of things.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #88
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
That is the most important line to remember about this engine. Its a new generation of engines, not just 1 engine of a fixed displacement. There will be 4.XL truck engines and probably 6+L Corvette engines (something has to replace the LS7 right?).

It was delayed because fuel prices hit the roof, CAFE regulations were changed, and GM went bankrupt. Plus it was never expected to come until after the regular versions had proven successful. Odds are, GM knew exactly what the car will be like some time ago and haven't made changes to it since, but spending money on that program to move it forward just didn't make sense in the grand scheme of things.
I know and understand the original delay.
I'm talking the extended delayed until 2012.
If it were to be sold as it was originally designed why the wait until 2012?
Old 11-09-2009, 01:03 AM   #89
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
I know and understand the original delay.
I'm talking the extended delayed until 2012.
If it were to be sold as it was originally designed why the wait until 2012?
Because when things stop, things stop. If testing, development, and contracting were put on hold or called off, you aren't back on the original schedule when you decide to resume things.

Think about it this way, say in 2008 you had begun planning to build a house. You had the land picked out, the floor plan drawn up, even knew what the style of the furnishings. You were set to begin the actual work of putting it all together. Figure to get it all done from buying the land to being fully furnished would take 2 years. Then you lose your job, and can't find one that pays nearly the same salary for 9 months. You do the smart thing and shelve your plans for the time being. Once you get back on your feet, you resume plans to build that dream house. Its still gonna take 2 years from when you buy the land until its 100% complete, even if nothing within the plan changes. Same deal for the Z28.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 11-09-2009, 09:54 AM   #90
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Because when things stop, things stop. If testing, development, and contracting were put on hold or called off, you aren't back on the original schedule when you decide to resume things.

Think about it this way, say in 2008 you had begun planning to build a house. You had the land picked out, the floor plan drawn up, even knew what the style of the furnishings. You were set to begin the actual work of putting it all together. Figure to get it all done from buying the land to being fully furnished would take 2 years. Then you lose your job, and can't find one that pays nearly the same salary for 9 months. You do the smart thing and shelve your plans for the time being. Once you get back on your feet, you resume plans to build that dream house. Its still gonna take 2 years from when you buy the land until its 100% complete, even if nothing within the plan changes. Same deal for the Z28.
Then why are other special editions (coming out in Jan.) and such showing up prior to the Z, again when the Z was already done.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #91
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I think probably because those were in development way before the floor fell through. Also, I think GM would've been pretty silly not to get a TF-Edition out there before they lost interest. I think they prioritized, possibly, based off of what was the easiest to put together while making some $$$ on.

That's JMHO though

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #92
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Then why are other special editions (coming out in Jan.) and such showing up prior to the Z, again when the Z was already done.
I don't know what those other cars will be like, but they could be along the lines of the Transformers special edition, slap some cosmetic stuff on and call it a day. Something like the Z28 would be very involved. Track testing, tuning, revising, then getting contracts with the suppliers, who need to tool up, etc. Sure, they can know they are going with this engine, and that suspension, and so on, but that doesn't mean they know how it all works together. Doing that requires building cars, and going out and testing them at places like the nurburgring.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 11-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #93
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
I don't know what those other cars will be like, but they could be along the lines of the Transformers special edition, slap some cosmetic stuff on and call it a day. Something like the Z28 would be very involved. Track testing, tuning, revising, then getting contracts with the suppliers, who need to tool up, etc. Sure, they can know they are going with this engine, and that suspension, and so on, but that doesn't mean they know how it all works together. Doing that requires building cars, and going out and testing them at places like the nurburgring.
I understood it that all this was done (exept the nurburgring ).
Old 11-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #94
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:

because the other special editions are more cosmetic than anything. its not a full powertrain change from the current lineup. (save for the Jay leno car)
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #95
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Noooo....at most, the design was finalized, and approved. They had/have a lot more work to do, and the delay didn't help things. Not to mention that there's only ONE Camaro team, and they have other things to think about than just the Z/28.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #96
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Well from what I gather the Z28 hadn't progressed much beyond a cobbled together "what if" prototype when it was shelved. So they knew what they wanted to do mechanically and visually (which is how we get things like the motortrend Z28 story), but hadn't really begun sorting out all the details of how to get it right. And those details range from dialing in the suspension tuning to getting rid of weird little squeaks. I could be wrong on all that, but I remember hearing from someone at GM that the motortrend story was misleading regarding the completion of the Z28.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 11-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #97
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

thanks guys
Old 11-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #98
Super83Z

Drives: 1999 Z28 1983 Z28
Maybe a form of the DI 7.0L GM is working on will make its way to the Camaro/Corvette.
14 Silverado
Super83Z is offline   Reply With Quote