Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-07-2009, 04:15 AM   #1
Jakefeb3

Drives: 2010 camaro 1ss
Is there such thing as "too cold" for performance driving

Is there such thing as "too cold" for performance driving? Im not talking about ice/snow on the road. I am strictly talking about temperature. I understand that you need to let your car warm up. But what if its 0 Fahrenheit or below? Is there a temperature that is sooo cold that might cause harm to your car if you are in the higher rpms? I cant find anything about it anywhere.
Jakefeb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:56 AM   #2
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Once it is warmed up you are fine, EXCEPT the tires. The P-Zero's will be worthless and other tires are going to have a hard time but not like the P-Zero's.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:10 AM   #3
Jakefeb3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Once it is warmed up you are fine, EXCEPT the tires. The P-Zero's will be worthless and other tires are going to have a hard time but not like the P-Zero's.
Are you referring to traction? Or damage? Could low temps hurt tires or something?
Old 12-07-2009, 05:36 AM   #4
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
What he said... high performance summer tires become hockey pucks around the freezing mark - and the colder it is, the harder they become.
If you're out on a dry day with the P Zeros, just take it really easy.
The cold will not hurt anything or cause damage.

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 12-07-2009, 06:11 AM   #5
Verio
Taking it 1 day at a time

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS Auto
Send a message via MSN to Verio
It was 22 degrees this morning, and my car drove fine, even with the Pzero's on. Some truck was trying to beat me off a stop light, and I still smashed the accelerator, and didn't have much trouble. Tires spun for a sec, but that's normal.

Not that I especially want to experience the hockey puck experience... but I haven't seen it yet. 4800 miles on the tires so far.
Verio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
Gunmetal

Drives: Cyber Grey 1SS/RS w/Body Kit
Colder Temps will lower tire pressure as well. Extreme temps, make sure your pressure is good. Im sure the display will let you know if ur pressure is gonna dip too low.
Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Took the Camaro out Friday...was 20 degrees out.

Tires hold for sh*t, even when warm. I would not recommend it. Taking corners the tires don't grip, they skip.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:00 AM   #8
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
warm em up! A few parking lot donuts will warm them right up =p
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #9
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
I think he is talking about the engine? At what temperature is it unsafe to full throttle? (provided the car and components are warmed up).

Chevy should have done a great job programming the PCM on these cars, and if its like any other car they build, the tune will be significantly rich to protect the engine in many conditions, and this being one. If you car is running a stock tune, you are mostly safe to WOT until around -40C (-40F). Then the coldness of the air (possibly) could start having an effect the tune cannot count for.

If anybody has an aftermarket tune though... its a much different story. Those tunes always lean out the engine, and so the only way to tell a safe temp to WOT is to talk with your tuner.

And like it has been stated, the stock Pirelli tires performance falls off badly below the 5C (45F) temp.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:10 AM   #10
SharpSS

Drives: Decked Out Inferno Orange 2SS
Thought I would mention something to be careful of in colder weather. Before my camaro I had a C5 Vette that was stock other than cold air intake and cat back exhaust. I took it out one day with the temps in the high 20's and sunny. Driving along at 45mph and went to pass a car, traction control was on, and it went totally sideways in the middle of the road. Cold air breathes higher horse power so be careful if you are not use to it.
SharpSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:52 AM   #11
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
As long as the engine is completely warmed up (which will take longer in cold weather) you can drive it as you normally would. Obviously tire choice and road conditions will dictate what you can actually do.

If you are running around in below freezing conditions with summer tires you are just asking to kill yourself or someone else. Either put on a good winter set of tires or park it until spring.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:37 PM   #12
71cam

Drives: 71cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
It was 22 degrees this morning, and my car drove fine, even with the Pzero's on. Some truck was trying to beat me off a stop light, and I still smashed the accelerator, and didn't have much trouble. Tires spun for a sec, but that's normal.

Not that I especially want to experience the hockey puck experience... but I haven't seen it yet. 4800 miles on the tires so far.
Uhhhhhh...."smashed the accelerator, and didn't have much trouble. Tires spun for a sec, but that's normal."

I don't think so.

If you "smashed" the accelerator on a hot day in the summer, you would spin your tires and it would be for more than a second. You can not have better traction in the cold.

Also, just because it is 22 degrees out, it does not mean the driving surface is 22 degrees. The surface can be warmer or colder depending on the previous weather cooling or heating the surface. Asphalt will retain heat longer than concrete.

If you keep driving the way you stated above in cold weather conditions, you will experience the hockey puck effect sooner than later and your "didn't have much trouble" will turn into a not a good feature. Drive according to weather and road conditions.

Be safe
71cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:07 PM   #13
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Car becomes fun to drive when the pzeros turn into p-pucks
They are fun but i would not recommend drving the car with them on at all. My car is sleeping so i have no worries.
Lets all pray for a short winter
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:58 PM   #14
Jakefeb3

Im not really interested in "traction". More about "is it okay for the car". I just dont want to do anything that will mess with my engine/components. Its around -3 F right now. My coolant temp is sitting around 190 F like usual.