Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-16-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
ROKINSS

Drives: 2010,2SS/RS,LS99 A6 Inferno Orange
LS99 Magnaflow Volume

Just had 2 magnaflows (axle back) installed in my L99. According to magnaflow, they are the same muffler supplied with their Camaro cat back systems. The resulting tone is slightly more growl that is a little lower than factory with only a slight increase in volume. I would like to get more volume, but do not want AFM drone and do not plan to tune out AFM out. Will replacing the factory resonator with a Magnaflow resonator or replacing the resonator with straight pipes give me more volume without drone? At present, I do not hear any drone. BTW, the factory mufflers that came off the car are very heavy and they were full of condensation (water). My exhaust guy says they are a terrible design.

Thanks
ROKINSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
tony1

Drives: 2SS/RS Vortech/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROKINSS View Post
Just had 2 magnaflows (axle back) installed in my L99. According to magnaflow, they are the same muffler supplied with their Camaro cat back systems. The resulting tone is slightly more growl that is a little lower than factory with only a slight increase in volume. I would like to get more volume, but do not want AFM drone and do not plan to tune out AFM out. Will replacing the factory resonator with a Magnaflow resonator or replacing the resonator with straight pipes give me more volume without drone? At present, I do not hear any drone. BTW, the factory mufflers that came off the car are very heavy and they were full of condensation (water). My exhaust guy says they are a terrible design.

Thanks
yeah .. I got the comp series .. No muffler on the L99 and it's not too loud at all .. the resonators do a good job with out the need for mufflers. Also my car has 500 miles and never driven in the rain but my mufflers were also full of water .. I'll bet everyone's are .. that even makes them heavier..
tony1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
Brister1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony1 View Post
yeah .. I got the comp series .. No muffler on the L99 and it's not too loud at all .. the resonators do a good job with out the need for mufflers. Also my car has 500 miles and never driven in the rain but my mufflers were also full of water .. I'll bet everyone's are .. that even makes them heavier..
I have the Comp. axle back as well. it has a nice deep "roar" to it, love it!

YES!!!!! My stock mufflers were LOADED with water and I NEVER drove it in the rain and it only had about 600 miles on them.
Brister1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
Sherwood SS

Drives: Black SS/RS
I have the cat back comp series and I could tell every time the AFM kicked in. It bugged the crap out of me so I tuned it out. I would suggest leaving the resonators alone if you don't want to tune out the AFM, because it will get louder and more annoying.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Mufflers full of water,
Old 03-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Yep, my stock mufflers had water in them as well. ROKINSS, i replaced the resonator with an x-pipe and i don't hear any AFM drone on my L99
Old 03-17-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
Buffnshine
So Cal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '06 HHR, '70 El Camino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
Yep, my stock mufflers had water in them as well. ROKINSS, i replaced the resonator with an x-pipe and i don't hear any AFM drone on my L99
DO you have the comp axle back with the 5" tips and the x-pipe and you are happy with sound, Im not sure how I have missed hearing your car at our meets. You going on the 27th? I am NOT looking for quiet
TEAM L99 - So Cal Camaro5 Race Team #27
9/5/09 Purchased #36962 Black 1SS/RS L99 "E-TCKT" Base Dyno 328hp/341tq @BBK meet
Mods to Date: Window Tint 5% & 15%, ACC P13W Lighting, Adaptive DRL Harness, Ghost Armor, Lloyds "SS" Mats, Dash Plaque, Flowmaster Outlaw Exhaust, Drake Front Bowtie Delete, Stealth 3457 Chrome/Mirror Signal Bulbs, Grant Revolutions Steering Wheel, PFADT Sport Springs, Sway Bars, End Links, Trailing Arms, 4 Wheel Alignment, Hurst Auto Shifter and Paddle Shifter, Satin Black Rear Tail Light Bezels
Buffnshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
Buffnshine
So Cal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '06 HHR, '70 El Camino
Quote:

Thanks
Where did you get then done at? I am here in FV as well, if you dont mind could you PM the price would love to see your car. Im right by Islands
TEAM L99 - So Cal Camaro5 Race Team #27
9/5/09 Purchased #36962 Black 1SS/RS L99 "E-TCKT" Base Dyno 328hp/341tq @BBK meet
Mods to Date: Window Tint 5% & 15%, ACC P13W Lighting, Adaptive DRL Harness, Ghost Armor, Lloyds "SS" Mats, Dash Plaque, Flowmaster Outlaw Exhaust, Drake Front Bowtie Delete, Stealth 3457 Chrome/Mirror Signal Bulbs, Grant Revolutions Steering Wheel, PFADT Sport Springs, Sway Bars, End Links, Trailing Arms, 4 Wheel Alignment, Hurst Auto Shifter and Paddle Shifter, Satin Black Rear Tail Light Bezels
Buffnshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:55 PM   #9
Roger Ramjet
Motor Head

Drives: CTS-V
Since you already have the rear Magnaflow mufflers, I would recommend removing the center resonator. Install straight pipe where the resonator was but add an H pipe in there somewhere. Without the H pipe the sound is more of a low frequency blah-blah. Adding the H will keep the rip-rip sound without causing drone. The X seems to contribute to drone.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:29 PM   #10
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
You need to replace the center section resonator with Magnaflows true X muffler. If you replace the center section with straight pipe the AFM is going to drive you nuts and the car will sound like a ricer on the highway. The true x muffler should free up the sound you want while keeping drone and AFM noises down to a minimum.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:04 AM   #11
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffnshine View Post
DO you have the comp axle back with the 5" tips and the x-pipe and you are happy with sound, Im not sure how I have missed hearing your car at our meets. You going on the 27th? I am NOT looking for quiet
I have a custom cat-back similar to the one below :

I like the sound that I got and I don't hear when the AFM kicks in.

Unfortunately, I won't be going on the 27th...I can meet up with you if you want some time. I work in Los Alamitos and live in Orange.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:44 AM   #12
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:

Thanks
Could you please tell me what part number Magnaflows you put on your L99 SS. I have a set of #16581's (with mufflers) ready to go on, but I've been leary of the possable DROAN and also don't want to tune out the AFM for warranty reasons. I can't hear any droan with my stock exhaust.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #13
Snake Slayer

Drives: Awaiting 2014 C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
Could you please tell me what part number Magnaflows you put on your L99 SS. I have a set of #16581's (with mufflers) ready to go on, but I've been leary of the possable DROAN and also don't want to tune out the AFM for warranty reasons. I can't hear any droan with my stock exhaust.
you should have no issues. I have the comp series cat back 16580 which has no rear mufflers and I have zero drone with AFM. The frequencency is a bit more pronounced when AFM kicks in but not much louder that the stock system.
Snake Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote