Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-05-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Door swing?

I knew the Camaro was going to have a pretty wide door swing but I'm going to need 3 parking spaces if I have a passenger with me....what is that? 90 degrees? :(

rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Why will this matter? Just don't open the door all the way.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
Why will this matter? Just don't open the door all the way.
- Xanthos
problem solved
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Ok, let me put it a different way...

How far you have to open the door depends on a few factors...width of door sill that you have to climb over to get out...size of the person getting out (tall/fat..don't care)....where they put the detents to keep the door from opening all the way...

Have you ever seen a tall person try to contort themselves trying to get into a Corvette when someone parked just that little bit too close to them? I have and it was painful to watch.

Another thing to think about...have you ever had the wind hit your door at just the right angle when opening it or when it was already partially open? The longer the door and the greater the door swing, the more likely you are to have your door slam into another car or the stupid metal/concrete pole that protects the gas pump. I know the gas door is on the passenger side but haven't you ever had your passenger get out and pump the gas?

Just some observations...
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
sorry not to worried about this.

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
tav8ws6

Drives: 2003 Avalanche
just park far away from everyone else, I do. i dont mind walking an extra couple feet.
tav8ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Any chance this is only on these models where everyone wants to look inside etc .. maybe the production model won't open quite this far ... (lets hope) ..

Crowley
Old 11-05-2008, 01:10 PM   #8
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
And I thought the doors on my vette were long..... Since the Camaro is being purchased as my daily driver I'll need to be careful opening these puppies in any kind of wind.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:15 PM   #9
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Yeah that's a pain with coupes. Long doors mean they swing out further. Not gonna lie, it is annoying. There are problems you take on when owning a coupe. I'm glad to see it is able to swing open so wide. It makes loading stuff and/or people into the backseat when the next space is open so much easier.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:16 PM   #10
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
the doors on my 70 z28 look longer. it doesnt posses a problem to me personly i park away from other people aneways. ask the 4thgen guys their cars got like huge ass doors that look biger than the 5th gens
Old 11-05-2008, 01:35 PM   #11
PsyDoc

Drives: Soon-to-be 1st Gen
Hard to tell for sure from that pic. It looks like it was taken with a wide angle lens; just look at the TensaBarrier and how deformed the left post is.
PsyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:37 PM   #12
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Ok, let me put it a different way...

How far you have to open the door depends on a few factors...width of door sill that you have to climb over to get out...size of the person getting out (tall/fat..don't care)....where they put the detents to keep the door from opening all the way...

Have you ever seen a tall person try to contort themselves trying to get into a Corvette when someone parked just that little bit too close to them? I have and it was painful to watch.

Another thing to think about...have you ever had the wind hit your door at just the right angle when opening it or when it was already partially open? The longer the door and the greater the door swing, the more likely you are to have your door slam into another car or the stupid metal/concrete pole that protects the gas pump. I know the gas door is on the passenger side but haven't you ever had your passenger get out and pump the gas?

Just some observations...

Don't take passengers in your car.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:40 PM   #13
Joker57676

Drives: 2007 Civic Si
These are show cars, the doors most likely open wider so people can see in better.

Mark
Joker57676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:46 PM   #14
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Yeah, I understand exactly what you mean, and i guess i'm the first one to kind of agree with you, but it is the same with every two door car out there. It looks like it is swinging wider than normal but its not, It's just longer than your used too. i've had my monte for four years now and i don't even think about it anymore, but i did at first. i always seem to park in the back of the parking lot, but the rest of the time i just keep one hand on my door when i get out. If theres a wind, close the door. change the way you park at the gas pump, as i have, pull up farther than you need to so your passenger (i.e. my wife does this all the time) so your passenger can just swing the damn door all the way open. This way you know her door will miss that concrete barrier, eventually you won't even notice you do it anymore. Change your style, to fit the car you drive! Problem solved.