Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-09-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
Coldpants
Nerdy one

Drives: #000000 & #FF8000 2010 Camaro
Camaro round the world?

I am planning a driving trip around the world. Leave date would be sometime in 2012 or 13. Assuming the world has not been destroyed. Anyway I was looking at my car the other day and a crazy thought got into my head. I began to wonder if such a trip could be done in the Camaro. I would have to cut off large parts of the trip. Eastern Russia, no dune running in the Sahara. But a scaled down route might be possible. Ship to England through Europe to Turkey south through Syria and Jordan into Egypt then the Cape to Canal route (the tricky bit and must be done on time in the dry season to have any chance although this route had been paved because of the cup.) another ship from Cape Town to Argentina then north to Colombia boat across the gap to Panama then north through Mexico back into the us avoiding Arizona for safety sake then back home.

Who thinks I will make it?

Just in quick thought mods needed. Aux fuel tank and water tank in trunk. Different tires too gas quality in Africa may be an issue.

Who thinks the car can make it. This route is done, but its done by easy to fix Land Rovers and nigh unstoppable Land cruisers and the occasional Unimog or Gaz. In fact I could not find any American Cars making the journey. Subaru's, VW's yes but for some reason no jeeps at least recently.

BTW advantage of the Camaro would be Driving the Autobahn, Nuremberg Ring, Stelvio Pass going to Top Gear to be personally insulted by Clarkson.
Coldpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
Coldpants
Nerdy one

Pics of my choices

I wonder if GM would give any support.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:34 PM   #3
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Go for it
Old 05-09-2010, 11:38 PM   #4
HOZAY
The Eponymous Jose

Drives: A V6. Yes. A LLT.
Hell of an undertaking. One wonders though, those other cars were built for such things - was the Camaro?
Old 05-09-2010, 11:46 PM   #5
Coldpants
Nerdy one

No but neither was the original bug and those things scuttle all over the planet. I think even though its not built for it I might be capable of it as long as there is a road. Hazards to the car would be Dust, bad gas, unexpected road conditions (a flood in the dry season of sudden shower turning Sudan into a mud puddle.) Some places are clearly out Eastern Russian has no practical roads. And Africa in the rainy season is almost impassable to 4x4's so that makes timing of that leg more important. There is no way to winch the Camaro so you have to take more care not to get into trouble. But with Road Coverarage today driving around the world in a normal car may be possible. One wonders if GM would give support it would make a hell of an add.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:47 AM   #6
navmaxlp

Drives: Not a Camaro :(
I'd be supportive. However, I'd be careful in the planning process as there a LOT of places that you don't want to drive through in the world. Oh and make sure you get to hit Australia and Greece. Oh and if money is no object and you're near it, Palma De Mallorca in the mediteranian would be a great stop. You can thank me when you get back

One more note, gas is like 3 to 4 times more expensive over in Europe. At least it was in Italy and that was around 10 years ago. Gonna need a lot of cash for "Petrol"
navmaxlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:54 AM   #7
AlSuwaidi

Drives: BLACK LS3 GCC-Spec
go for it and pass by Dubai and il buy you a meal!
AlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:47 AM   #8
Jason

Drives: MAZDA CX 7
Dude, you'er planning on driving a Camaro though South Africa and you're avaioding Arizona for safty sake, I'd re-think going anywear NEAR South Africa if I were you, we got out when we could, but I still have plenty of family there, not a nice place to go.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #9
HOZAY
The Eponymous Jose

Drives: A V6. Yes. A LLT.
I agree with the previous posts - you'd be driving through some not-so friendly parts of the world, especially in Africa. In a high-profile, attention-getting car. And an American, to boot. Yeesh.

Take a GAZ, fortify it, then you're good to go.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #10
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Dude, you'er planning on driving a Camaro though South Africa and you're avaioding Arizona for safty sake, I'd re-think going anywear NEAR South Africa if I were you, we got out when we could, but I still have plenty of family there, not a nice place to go.
You caught that too, huh?

You want to avoid Arizona for safety's sake, but you're okay with Turkey, Syria, Jordan, Egypt, Columbia, and Mexico?

I must have made a wrong turn somewhere back in Common Sense...
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:59 AM   #11
Romeloc

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS RS A6 Inferno
avoid checkpoints in other countries yuo might not make it back lol.
20% tints
Borla Atak cat-bak
Roto-Fab intake
amber footwell, dome, and trunk lighting(AAC)
Decepticon Gas door
Led Taillights (technostalgia)
Romeloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:00 AM   #12
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
I admire your ambition, but I have to say this would be very dangerous on so many levels.
If you do decide to do it I would be doing some SERIOUS research which I'm sure I don't need to tell you. Good luck on whatever you decide.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #13
Havok

Drives: 2010 IBM 2LT RS
I rather go through Eastern Russia then half the countries you mentioned after Turkey.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #14
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
you must have more money than brains and i don't mean that in a bad way.i admire your ambition,but with the conditions around the world,i wouldn't even want to do that in an airplane.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote