Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
Tire store told me if I can wait until april, there will be more tires for our car?

The local shop told me if I can manage to wait until April, there are several tire companies making tires to fit our cars that will then be available. He said I'll be able to get some better tires for cheaper than what they are now.

Anyone know if there is any Merit to this? I felt like if it was true I would have read about it here?

I have a flat tire and although normally I don't drive during winter, I have to take a week and a half to tear apart the top end of my truck.

I'm thinking about renting a car for a day/bumming rides all week, but the only reason I'm even doing this is to wait and see what other tires are available in April.

If this is a "bogus" tip then I'll just put another set of pirellis on it and use the camaro for a week, but if it's legit, I'll wait it out?

Thanks!
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
This is legit. I heard the same thing about winter tires when I started shopping around early fall. They ramp up winter tire production during the winter and ramp down summer tire production. Since our cars have summer tires, this makes a lot of sense that there would be a limited supply of summer tires @ dealers. The few that are manufactured probably end up in the south US.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
Rudy@Tirerack

Drives: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
I am not sure this is legit. Can I asked what brands/models he said were coming out and I may be able to help verify. I do believe over time as this car continues to sell and the market becomes bigger more tire vendors will show up.
Rudy@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

I need to call him again, but I thought it was maybe Hankook and Bridgestone? It may have been Toyo too, but that may be in my mind because of the open country tires for my truck.... I do think one of them was Bridgestone, because I know he specifically said that although normally they don't recommend mixing tires, the firestone firehawks and the Firestone Destinations or the Bridgestone Duelers may be OK, and then he mentioned one of those tires (I don't remember which one) would be in the other size come april.

HE also mentioned that I could mix the Hankook Ventus V12 and the Ventus ST, so that may be why I think he may have mentioned that?

And lastly he said that Kumho was announcing a bunch of new tire sizes mid-feb? So they may be coming out with one, but that one he said he didn't know for sure yet.

As I said, I should probably wait to call and find out for sure before I ask you to double check for everyone on C5's sake!
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Old 02-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
Badger

Drives: 2010 ABM SS #14 of 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy@Tirerack View Post
I am not sure this is legit. Can I asked what brands/models he said were coming out and I may be able to help verify. I do believe over time as this car continues to sell and the market becomes bigger more tire vendors will show up.
Thanks for posting this...I would hope that Tire Rack would be on top of any news regarding this topic...in fact I think this topic should be a sticky for any new tire size information that comes along in the future for 20" Tires...I get frustrated trying to find sizes for this car that match. I nominate Rudy to lobby the tire companies for us.... Rudy Rudy....

-- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

I finally got around to talking to him again- Sorry it took me so long to get back to you!

He said he doesn't know of any which have been "officially released", but "based on almost 40 years of experience" he said his professional opinion is that there will be new tires released in April for this car.

Clearly this is just speculation, but we also all know it's just a matter of time before new tires are introduced for our cars, and April is the time the new summer tires are released, so its possible!

Hope I didn't get anyones hope up too much, but its worth staying tuned!

Still trying to decide if I should wait, go back with stockers, or mix 'n match tires with the same size/similar compound.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #7
RAYSRT8

Drives: 2011 Challenger SRT8 6.4L 392 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumblebeeAmigo View Post
I need to call him again, but I thought it was maybe Hankook and Bridgestone? It may have been Toyo too, but that may be in my mind because of the open country tires for my truck.... I do think one of them was Bridgestone, because I know he specifically said that although normally they don't recommend mixing tires, the firestone firehawks and the Firestone Destinations or the Bridgestone Duelers may be OK, and then he mentioned one of those tires (I don't remember which one) would be in the other size come april.

HE also mentioned that I could mix the Hankook Ventus V12 and the Ventus ST, so that may be why I think he may have mentioned that?

And lastly he said that Kumho was announcing a bunch of new tire sizes mid-feb? So they may be coming out with one, but that one he said he didn't know for sure yet.

As I said, I should probably wait to call and find out for sure before I ask you to double check for everyone on C5's sake!

Bridestone and Toyo already have tires out that will work on our cars with 20" wheels, but they are not the exact size that came from the factory.

Camaro parts for sale: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152474
RAYSRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Rudy knows his tires, I'd take Tire Rack's info over anyone's. Also, the Pirelli tires in OEM sizes are now dirt cheap due to Camaro production numbers. You can buy them new at Tire Rack for about $200 each. That is a good deal on a 20" performance tire.

The main issue with Camaro traction isn't the Pirelli tires, it is the puny narrow wheels and narrow tires.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #9
Rudy@Tirerack

Drives: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
The only new tire I have been able to verify so far is a new Firestone Firehawk wideovall all season tire will be coming out in Camaro friendly sizes including SS models. Nice to have another good tire added for you guys to choose. Thank you for the kind words Nine Ball!
Rudy@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #10
Agent WD-40

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
The only new tire I have been able to verify so far is a new Firestone Firehawk wideovall all season tire will be coming out in Camaro friendly sizes including SS models. Nice to have another good tire added for you guys to choose. Thank you for the kind words Nine Ball!
Rudy- any idea if Michelin will have some summer tires out for the Camaro?
Stainless Works 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers
Corsa Exhaust
Agent WD-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #11
first one

Drives: SSRS - black, GFX, SSX wheels
Now, someone else needs to make 21" tires so I can get a better deal!
Old 02-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #12
OrangeSS
Southern Gentleman.

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by first one View Post
Now, someone else needs to make 21" tires so I can get a better deal!
Old 02-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #13
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
Quote:
do you have any pull with with tire companies? Some Dunlop direzza Z1 Star spec would be awesome if we could get them in our sizes.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #14
Inferno Orange SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPredator View Post
do you have any pull with with tire companies? Some Dunlop direzza Z1 Star spec would be awesome if we could get them in our sizes.

I agree those are an amazing tire, I would love it if they made them to fit out rims! Would buy a set tonight.
Inferno Orange SS is offline   Reply With Quote