Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #29
Camaroshark

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT, 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Harvey View Post
It is my understanding that GM had to do this to meet some government fuel standard. I thought it sucked when the government got involved with my toilet. Now they seem to think they know how to design a stick shift. Damn these bunch of Do-Gooders.
If it had only been the toilet.

List the things government involvement has F$%Id up.

1-Healthcare (can't buy across State lines / limited access)... now government controlled.
2- Light bulbs - soon only CFL and we don't make 'em here. (thanks epa)
3- Washing Machines - save money and wear dirty clothes... consumer reports rates no new HE washing machine as "good"
4- Burning our food corn for fuel. (Amber waves of fuel?) WTF

Oh, don't get me going... the list could go on and on.
Camaroshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #30
Nvincent4708

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
You removed it?
nope.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AMESELX%3AIT

that should be the link
Nvincent4708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #31
mike10ss

Drives: 2010 camaro black with white stripe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarlos55 View Post
If you haven't encountered the skip shift yet, you will. My bet is you won't like it. Install a Skip shift eliminator and change out the stock shifter. All your problems solved.

Except for the never ending question: "How can I make it faster, cooler... What's next?".
Is the problem in the shifter or in the transmission? I have a MGW shifter ready to install but waiting to have the service department to check things out first. I wonder if this the reason why they offer the Hurst shifter in the 2011's.
mike10ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:46 PM   #32
BlaSSt Off

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike10ss View Post
Is the problem in the shifter or in the transmission? I have a MGW shifter ready to install but waiting to have the service department to check things out first. I wonder if this the reason why they offer the Hurst shifter in the 2011's.
It has nothing to do with the shifter. Its a plug that keeps a signal from the computer to the shifter that locks out second gear. If you dont have the skip shift eliminator, it will do it with any shifter. All you have to do is hold the clutch in for a split second and it will turn off after it comes on. It only comes on when your driving like a granny. So holding in the clutch for a second longer wont hurt.
BlaSSt Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:01 AM   #33
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black/Carbon Fiber
I thought my tranny was broke the first time I drive my CTS-V that had CAGS. I was about to turn around and go back to the dealer and chew someones arse. Then I realized a stupid little icon in the DIC that said 1
Old 05-17-2011, 12:22 AM   #34
DanCamm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS RY
Agreed. I bought the APEX skip-shift eliminator after seeing it on this site. Took 5 minutes to install. Best 18 bucks I've spent yet.

DanCamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:12 AM   #35
mike10ss

Drives: 2010 camaro black with white stripe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaSSt Off View Post
It has nothing to do with the shifter. Its a plug that keeps a signal from the computer to the shifter that locks out second gear. If you dont have the skip shift eliminator, it will do it with any shifter. All you have to do is hold the clutch in for a split second and it will turn off after it comes on. It only comes on when your driving like a granny. So holding in the clutch for a second longer wont hurt.

Not sure if you understand what is happening when I shift. In a 1/4 mile drag you don't take the time to hold the clutch for the extra second, I have a skip shift eliminator installed already and have a MGW shifter ready to install. Was wondering if it could be in the stock shifter due to the mounting bushing allowing the shifter to flex when under load. But not sure if I should be talking to you or your "Granny".
mike10ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #36
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Understand the frustration, but if you simply adjust your shifting and driving patterns you'll never know it's there.

First, for the OP, if you are driving hard you won't see it. The gat opens above 3,000 +/- a bit RPMs. And the gate is only there from a stop, not a roll.

Second, if you are just driving casually, you simpy take the shift lever down from 1st to the neutral gate then slide the lever over to the right, then pull back left and down to 2nd you won't get "gated".

Seriously, I drive a lot of cars with CAGS and it is truly rare when I get the gate on an attempted 1 -2 shift.

Also there is a light in the DIC. If you wait for it to go out, you can then just pull down to 2nd.

But I would probably be more frustrated if I drove in such a way that I experienced it more often. I just don't ever seem to.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #37
daytripper

Drives: IOM 2012 1SS m6
Does it make any dif if you have the HURST shifter ? Im still trying to decide if I want to order it.
daytripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:32 PM   #38
Themarowagon

Drives: Black ss
The inly thing they did with the gt500 is that they added two overdrive gears
Themarowagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:16 PM   #39
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
...holy old thread Batman!
Old 09-16-2016, 03:43 AM   #40
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Everybody says this feature is to meet fuel economy standards. I think it is more to keep you from rear ending the slow @ss car in front of you when they crawl from a stop. Lol Seriously though, this is the only time I get caught by it.

There are a lot of ways to drive around it in most situations. Either waiting, revving, shift to second sooner. On the few occasions that I do get caught in it, I just move the stick to touch the fourth gear position, then shift to third. By this time I'm rolling well enough and the engine has plenty of torque to handle it smoothly.

This is my second car with C.A.G.S. and in 10 years, driving around it is automatic, I hardly even know it exists anymore.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:44 AM   #41
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
...holy old thread Batman!
Ha, just caught that. Oh well, my car was brand new when it posted!
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:59 AM   #42
0331Marine

Drives: 2012 SS/RS MN6
Its aliveeeee
0331Marine is offline   Reply With Quote