Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #15
Joebot8484
ZL1 # 1307

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1, 2008 Hummzilla H3
It's all about the Camaro love for me. If Pontiac was still around and had a TA with same setup as the ZL1, I would pick the ZL1 every time. I just love Camaro's period!
Old 09-29-2011, 01:09 PM   #16
Brad02SS

Drives: 02 35th LE SS, 08 G8 GT
I've always been a Camaro guy, best bang for the buck. The ZL1 is still a good bit cheaper than the Caddy. I respect the CTS Coupe's different styling but I don't necessarily like it. I love the interior though. Why not a Vette? No backseat. Not that I plan on having people back there all the time, It's just there when you need it.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #17
Pappa Joe

Drives: Charger/TL1000R/Cobalt/ZL1
Unfortunately this has me considering the new Charger SRT8 as well... I know, that may be blasphemy around here but whatever car I go with I am planning on driving it into the ground for over a decade...

I have a 2010 Charger....I love it lottsa leg room, trunk space! Wife gets it when I get my ZL1.
Pappa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #18
91Z28350

Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP 2010 Traverse LTZ
Zl1 or Z06, one proven awesome, one looking very awesome. For the price of the CTS-V, I would own the 'Vette. Unless you have small children, the backseat on the ZL1 is a non-starter. If needed a sedan, then the CTS-V is an obvous choice. Although I like the CTS-V coupe, I don't like it more than the Camaro or 'Vette.
91Z28350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #19
Evil Trailblazer SS
10-Sec AWD TBSS/ ZL1 Next

Drives: Procharged 2006 Trailblazer SS AWD
For me, it boils down to the attitude of the ZL1...I have built my reputation locally and on forums as "Evil" and the ZL1 out of the box fits the bill perfectly! Plus I am over drag racing and ready for serious PDX/road racing since that is the world I have been working in up until about a month ago...
Evil Trailblazer SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:34 PM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Everytime I'm asked, the first thing I answer with is this:

My Father got this car when he was 19 yrs old in 1979. It's still in his garage. He bought it to have as a toy and good-weather daily driver. As kids, we used to call it the "vroom-vroom car" because that 4bbl 350 would rumble and shake the car like nobodies business when you'd sit at a stoplight. I want to continue that legacy...and while the ZL1 is not called the "Z28" like Dad's car....it still represents the top-of-the-line, go-fast Camaro, and we're both attached to our respective cars.

Second reason is I fell in love with the design and promise of the concept Camaro in '06. All other cars suddenly disappeared for me. And they've improved upon all that 1000-fold with the ZL1. It's my "dream car"...and not everyone can say they own their dream car.

Third reason is ... I realize that life is ahead of me...and at the moment, with no family to provide for...no debt to speak of...and lots of time to correct a potentially bad financial decision before I kick it ....I'd be sorta stupid to pass this up. Such an opportunity may not present itself to me for several decades to come.

4th reason.....aw heck....It's friggin KICKASS!!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #21
Nightstalker Medic

Drives: 2007 C6 Corvette
I started off with the IROC Camaro’s. Then went to Corvettes, moved to Vipers and then came back to Corvettes. I’ve always loved Camaro’s. My very first muscle car.
I sold my wife’s Camaro out from under her. Very big mistake. We laugh at it now, but not so much back then. So, I’ve been under the gun for a very long time, I’ve been able to dodge the bullet so far. I brought up getting another Corvette but was told that it is time for her to get her Camaro back and she wanted the ZL1. I told her once I get this Camaro, she is to get off my back about the other Camaro.
So, I make my wife happy, she stops complaining about not having a Camaro and I get a Camaro too.

Kooks 1-7/8 Hdrs/Kooks X-Pipe: 3x2-1/2/Flowmaster American Racing Exhaust/160 Thermostat/25% UDP/EnglandGreen Whiplash Cam/Patriot Extreme DV Springs (.660s)/7.400 Chromemoly Pushrods/High Flow Oil Pump/Halltech Venom CAI/Ported FAST 92/BeHe Performance Tune/MGW Shifter/Z06 Sways F & R/Oil Can/K&N Breather/Yella Terra Ultralite Non-Adjustable Rocker 1.7 Ratio
Nightstalker Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #22
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4me View Post
Reminds me of the cars I drove back in my late teens and twenties back
in the 70's and early 80's. Tired of driving family cars coughs *Honda Accords* , so its time for a nice change. I don't care if gas is $10 per
gallon I'm going to have a blast again, and my wife maybe wearing a pair
of white nuckles before long muhahaha.
The biggest question for me will be if I can drive this beast in a manual
transmission its been like 30 years in an auto trans.. This car just looks better
suited with a stick, oh well gotta go check out some SS camaros and see
if i can handle the launch ok. Added bonus to a stick my 20 year old does not know how to drive one, so I can use that as an excuse when he asks
to try it out.
The memories, ahhhhh yes, don't worry about that stick shift, as the saying goes....it's just like riding a bike!
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
My reasons for owning a ZL1 :

Attachment Anxiety.
Soul Replenishment.
Identity Confirmation.
Once in a lifetime Opportunity.
Joy of owning an historical milemark of automotive history.
Filling a void left by unfortunate circumstances.
...by your thoughts I feel you may be by far the most deserving of this treasured ride, may your quest be fulfilled Htron...!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Everytime I'm asked, the first thing I answer with is this:

My Father got this car when he was 19 yrs old in 1979. It's still in his garage. He bought it to have as a toy and good-weather daily driver. As kids, we used to call it the "vroom-vroom car" because that 4bbl 350 would rumble and shake the car like nobodies business when you'd sit at a stoplight. I want to continue that legacy...and while the ZL1 is not called the "Z28" like Dad's car....it still represents the top-of-the-line, go-fast Camaro, and we're both attached to our respective cars.

Second reason is I fell in love with the design and promise of the concept Camaro in '06. All other cars suddenly disappeared for me. And they've improved upon all that 1000-fold with the ZL1. It's my "dream car"...and not everyone can say they own their dream car.

Third reason is ... I realize that life is ahead of me...and at the moment, with no family to provide for...no debt to speak of...and lots of time to correct a potentially bad financial decision before I kick it ....I'd be sorta stupid to pass this up. Such an opportunity may not present itself to me for several decades to come.

Awwwwww man Dragoneye now your are really tugging at my heart strings.....that's what this "thing" we all are experiencing is all about! Outstanding story and comentary!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstalker Medic View Post
I started off with the IROC Camaro’s. Then went to Corvettes, moved to Vipers and then came back to Corvettes. I’ve always loved Camaro’s. My very first muscle car.
I sold my wife’s Camaro out from under her. Very big mistake. We laugh at it now, but not so much back then. So, I’ve been under the gun for a very long time, I’ve been able to dodge the bullet so far. I brought up getting another Corvette but was told that it is time for her to get her Camaro back and she wanted the ZL1. I told her once I get this Camaro, she is to get off my back about the other Camaro.
So, I make my wife happy, she stops complaining about not having a Camaro and I get a Camaro too.
Nightstalker, that was all "water under the bridge" about the past. Obviously you care and want to make things right. Now is the perfect time to make that so. A ZL1 in the driveway???? You are In Like Flint brother.....
Old 09-29-2011, 09:27 PM   #23
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
The ZL1 represents many things to me. It will be my first Camaro after almost buying a couple of 69 Camaro's over the years. I fell in love with the design the moment it was first shown. In my heart I always felt that Chevy simply had to make a true High Performance version of the car, and they did. Chevy took everything that I would pulled from the shelves to make my very own car and put it into the ZL1 for me. They put in a few things that I might not have considered. I got a chance to see and hear this car this past weekend. It looks better and sounds better than any pictures or sounds clips can try to show. The addition of the new grill that really flows with the car makes it absolutely perfect for me. I do not need to change anything other than floor mats and red footwell lighting. I know that I will wake up at 3:00am and open the garage door and just stare at it and know that it is mine. Every time I fire it up, the exhaust roar will light up my soul as well. I will instantly go from being 60 to 16 all over again. I love my 67 Vette, but this car will just be different.

I spent a week in a CTS Caddy and loved it. I would buy the Caddy just for the cooled seats. I hope I can talk the wife into trading her Honda for the CTS/ATS Caddy in a few years. But the Caddy is not a Camaro and for me, the ZL1 Camaro fulfills all of my dreams.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #24
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
The ZL1 represents many things to me. It will be my first Camaro after almost buying a couple of 69 Camaro's over the years. I fell in love with the design the moment it was first shown. In my heart I always felt that Chevy simply had to make a true High Performance version of the car, and they did. Chevy took everything that I would pulled from the shelves to make my very own car and put it into the ZL1 for me. They put in a few things that I might not have considered. I got a chance to see and hear this car this past weekend. It looks better and sounds better than any pictures or sounds clips can try to show. The addition of the new grill that really flows with the car makes it absolutely perfect for me. I do not need to change anything other than floor mats and red footwell lighting. I know that I will wake up at 3:00am and open the garage door and just stare at it and know that it is mine. Every time I fire it up, the exhaust roar will light up my soul as well. I will instantly go from being 60 to 16 all over again. I love my 67 Vette, but this car will just be different.

I spent a week in a CTS Caddy and loved it. I would buy the Caddy just for the cooled seats. I hope I can talk the wife into trading her Honda for the CTS/ATS Caddy in a few years. But the Caddy is not a Camaro and for me, the ZL1 Camaro fulfills all of my dreams.
The ZL1 really is something of a dream car for many of us nuts around here, isn't it?

Seeing it in person is breathtaking, isn't it?...the stance, the sound, the proportions...the presence. It's as though it makes whatever it's resting on a throne.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:37 PM   #25
1BADZL1
THE CAMARO KING

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 on order #PZSD7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

Have you been reading my build thread?
That is exactly the same way I feel about this whole thing. You summed it up for me much easier than I can my own self. The opportunity is NOW.
If all the ZL1's are snatched up before Dragon and I get one.. (we both have been waiting since 06 when we joined this place to get our first fifth gen)
and if everyone that already has theyre 5th gen.. Back the heck up out of the line and let a few of the most deserving guys on here ( and bear, and jedi, and others you know who you are....fbodfather....and others....Modern07, BiggFoot, fiascoes1, IOMZL1, OldScoolCamaro, radz28, ZL1NC, KKreme15,and 69NMYSS and a FEW OTHERS )
back way up away from the line and let us have the FIRST OF ZL1's...THEN after Dragon and others have OUR ZL1 in our driveways THEN buy one.
Does this sound Selfish? You bet! Stingy? You Bet! Humble? you BET! Kind? You Bet!
All would help others achieve they're dreams of owning a ZL! Does a bear shit in the woods? WAY! Worthy? way! WE HAVE stepped back and let all c5 members enjoy the first arrival of the first 5th gens from as far as SEVEN years ago...
YES! Even before C5! Dragoneye! ITS YOUR TURN for your dream to come true baby!
1000 Initial Order 11/11/2011 Chevyland
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 11/11/2011 - PZSD7S
2000 Order accepted by GM: 12/14/2011
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 00/00/2011 - TPW 00/00/2011
3100 Sequenced: 00/00/2011
3300 Scheduled For Production:0/0/2012
3400 Broadcast: 0/0/2012
3800 Produced: 0/0/2012
4000 Available To Ship: 0/0/2012
4200 Shipped: 0/0/2012
5000 Delivered To The Dealer: 0/0/2012
6000 Delivered To Customer:0/0/2012

Last edited by 1BADZL1; 09-29-2011 at 09:48 PM.
1BADZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:45 PM   #26
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
nothing against the cadillac, but the camaro looks about a million times better, its going to perform better, sound better, etc. i cant afford one, but im a loud, rocknroll lovin, muscle car drivin punk the cadillac is cool for what it is, but its no muscle car.
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:48 PM   #27
Nightstalker Medic

Drives: 2007 C6 Corvette
OldScoolCamaro,

I've been dodging the Camaro for 13 years, since I sold hers out from under her. She wanted the new Gen 5 when it came out. I told her to wait for a year and maybe they would make a convertible. Well, they did. Then I herd that maybe a Z-28 was in the works. So, I was able to pass on the convertible, but now the ZL1 is coming and she really, really wants one. So, she can get what she wants.

She is the better half in the marriage. She has earned it. Now the monkey will be off my back.

Kooks 1-7/8 Hdrs/Kooks X-Pipe: 3x2-1/2/Flowmaster American Racing Exhaust/160 Thermostat/25% UDP/EnglandGreen Whiplash Cam/Patriot Extreme DV Springs (.660s)/7.400 Chromemoly Pushrods/High Flow Oil Pump/Halltech Venom CAI/Ported FAST 92/BeHe Performance Tune/MGW Shifter/Z06 Sways F & R/Oil Can/K&N Breather/Yella Terra Ultralite Non-Adjustable Rocker 1.7 Ratio
Nightstalker Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #28
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY68RS View Post
Have you been reading my build thread?
That is exactly the same way I feel about this whole thing. You summed it up for me much easier than I can my own self. The opportunity is NOW.
If all the ZL1's are snatched up before Dragon and I get one.. (we both have been waiting since 06 when we joined this place to get our first fifth gen)
and if everyone that already has theyre 5th gen.. Back the heck up out of the line and let a few of the most deserving guys on here ( and bear, and jedi, and others you know who you are....fbodfather....and others....Modern07, BiggFoot, fiascoes1, IOMZL1, OldScoolCamaro, radz28, ZL1NC, KKreme15,and 69NMYSS and a FEW OTHERS )
back way up away from the line and let us have the FIRST OF ZL1's...THEN after Dragon and others have OUR ZL1 in our driveways THEN buy one.
Does this sound Selfish? You bet! Stingy? You Bet! Humble? you BET! Kind? You Bet!
All would help others achieve they're dreams of owning a ZL! Does a bear shit in the woods? WAY! Worthy? way! WE HAVE stepped back and let all c5 members enjoy the first arrival of the first 5th gens from as far as SEVEN years ago...
YES! Even before C5! Dragoneye! ITS YOUR TURN for your dream to come true baby!
Is that any to treat a senior citizen? I don't have the life span that you young whipper-snappers have! So I am going to park in the Handicap Zone and place my order! Oh what the hell, go on you can get in line in front of me. But if I drop dead before I get my car, I am coming back to haunt you. That knocking sound in the engine will be me letting you know that I am around just to bug you.