Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-21-2009, 09:06 PM   #43
CAMARO_MOW

Drives: 2011 White 2SS/RS
A manual with 18'' (1LT) will only go 118... because of the tires that come on the 18''...

I am getting a manual, just can't buy an automatic sports car and I miss driving a manual...
Old 04-21-2009, 11:12 PM   #44
John VS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT CGM, IOM Int.
I ordered the auto. Easier for the daily driving in Orange County and all the track times I saw showed it was only .1 seconds behind the manual 0-60. For me, .1 sec is not worth the trouble.

Only cars with 18" wheels are limited to 118. My 2LT will be 155.
John VS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:17 PM   #45
l008com

Drives: 2013 1LT Crystal Red/Beige Manual
18" wheels are pretty big. 19 & 20 are just huge. So yeah it would have to be a tire situation for 118 limitations.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:45 AM   #46
fierodeletre

Drives: 02 WS6 TA, 88 Fiero Formula
You can GET 18" tires that will do 155+ guys. I'm sure they'll be cheaper than 20"s and 19"s too. Now, if only you could order an RS package SANS 20"s.... Oh, and the auto only gets one ONE mpg better in town. It's about as truly sixes as you can get. +one mpg versus .1 sec 0-60.
fierodeletre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:44 PM   #47
Mrbobcat

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierodeletre View Post
You can GET 18" tires that will do 155+ guys.
Yeah, but I heard if you get the 18" wheels from the factory, it is governed to 118, therefore you will have to get it tuned to get the governor taken off, correct? If I end up getting one, I would like to get the 1LT or 2LT and would'nt mind trading somebody with the 18" stockers. I wonder if they would really be safe above 120 although I'm sure it would be a rare occurrence that I'd go that fast.
Anyways back on topic, I'm also torn. I really wanted an auto for my next car since I've had a manual for 5+ now and wanted to get the remote starter option also. But that would be more of a convenience thing and the manual would be more fun and also cheaper on the camaro, plus you get the LSD. But then again, not sure how good the paddle shifters will be. btw, I have heard the auto is better and quicker in the gencoupe, but have'nt heard any reports on the camaro yet.
Mrbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #48
Mosher

Drives: 1LT Cruze Summit White
If I get a V6 (Still waffling on eventually getting a V8), It will be a stick because I don't know how to drive an Automatic.... Much to my Wife's displeasure...
Mosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #49
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosher View Post
If I get a V6 (Still waffling on eventually getting a V8), It will be a stick because I don't know how to drive an Automatic.... Much to my Wife's displeasure...
you dont know how to drive an automatic?? umm...you turn the car on, put it in D and press the gas pedal.....

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
bluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #50
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluch View Post
you dont know how to drive an automatic?? umm...you turn the car on, put it in D and press the gas pedal.....
That kind of mentality is why people think automatics can't do some of the things that manuals can do. If one puts the effort into learning and practicing with an automatic that is usually put into learning and practicing with a manual, one can do most of the same things.

That said, I'd prefer the manual. I enjoy driving manual more, and it's far less expensive -- it's cheaper to buy, cheaper to fix, cheaper to maintain (unless you like to destroy clutches), and it can be driven more efficiently than the automatic (even if the auto gets better EPA ratings).
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #51
JK

Drives: Toyota
Anyone knows about how much it costs to remove the speed governer on the lesser Camaro's (LS and 1 LT)?
JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:16 PM   #52
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
That kind of mentality is why people think automatics can't do some of the things that manuals can do. If one puts the effort into learning and practicing with an automatic that is usually put into learning and practicing with a manual, one can do most of the same things.

That said, I'd prefer the manual. I enjoy driving manual more, and it's far less expensive -- it's cheaper to buy, cheaper to fix, cheaper to maintain (unless you like to destroy clutches), and it can be driven more efficiently than the automatic (even if the auto gets better EPA ratings).
i've just never heard anyone use that phrase "i don't know how to drive an automatic"

i've only heard people say that they prefer a manual over an auto

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
bluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:42 PM   #53
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post

STILL nothing beats being able to choose what gear you are in !!!!
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:10 PM   #54
CDN SS
Steve from Canada.

Drives: 2010 SW SS/RS with Inferno package.
Manual for me when the time comes,I have Tap Shift on my Grand Prix and never use it.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #55
KFH
1SS Victory Red Manual

Drives: 2010 1SS 6 Speed Manual
1LT Victory Red Manual 6 Speed
All my cars have been mamual, only way to go for me!

1st Camaro - 77 Type LT Rally Sport, 3 Speed Manual, Inline 6 2nd - 94 Z28, 6 Speed Manual LT1 V8
3rd - 2010 1LT, 6 Speed Manual LLT V6 4th - 2010 1SS, 6 Speed Manual LS3 V8, RX Catch Can, Holley iNTECH CAI, Flowmaster Force II Exhaust
KFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:35 AM   #56
camero

Drives: IOM V6 RS 38808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
Automatic, I don't know how to drive a manual lol.
Why not just take 45 minutes and learn how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosher View Post
If I get a V6 (Still waffling on eventually getting a V8), It will be a stick because I don't know how to drive an Automatic...
Now THAT's hilarious! Good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein View Post
Acutally I think the 1LT is set to top out at 118 also because of the wheels. But I have no idea. That is the only stuff I can find. But reguardless, I am going with an auto because of city driving. It's rare if I don't stop at every single light to where I am going.
The Camaro is pure pleasure to shift. I find myself praying for red lights so I can run through the gears again. It's not like a Corolla where shifting is nice and efficient but just a routine to go though when keeping up with traffic... it's the joy of being in direct contact with the engine and powertrain at all times. You're not just pulling on cables; you can actually feel gears!
camero is offline   Reply With Quote