Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #533
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
I never had one....though wanted one for a very, very long time. When I bought my brand-new 88 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe in the fall of 1988, the Buick dealer next door had an 87 GN still sitting on the lot. I *really* wanted that car, but there was a $5k difference in price (~$12k vs ~$17k), and I just couldn't do it. A good friend of mine had one, and we went back and forth on the track...though most of the time his lightly modded GN always seemed to be about 3 tenths faster than my slightly modded LX. Never regretted getting the 88 Coupe for a second, but still always wanted a TR.

Did prefer the Turbo T over the GN, but would have been just fine with either.
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #534
Bola1103

Drives: 2001 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdari View Post
Norm, weeks ago when I started reading about all the bitching and moaning and ZL1 put downs both from Camaro and Mustang folks, I went back and read threads going back in late 2011. The only people to blame are Team Camaro and their chief, that Al guy, who proclaimed the ZL1 will destroy the competition. Well, we now know it is only on par with the older GT500s and current Boss', and the new Shelby is always superior on the strip and at least on par on the track. That is not ydestroying the competition by any means.
your right about that
Bola1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #535
infernometallicSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Best Run - 10.93@125
What year gt500? I rode in the 2013. Amazing...
Old 08-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #536
jimmy5

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #450
It would be awesome if GM would supply the cars with a better tune, larger intercooler, and a reservoir. I think that would really wake these cars up. And it might not be too expensive for GM to pull off.
jimmy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #537
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04svtsnke View Post
You do realize the terminator came out after it was well known the camaros were going to be canned right? Ford couldve played GM's game and added cubes but it's clear they made the right choice by adding a power adder. You sound like a hypocrite when mocking ford when gm did the same thing years later after seeing how well forced induction did for ford. As for all the other stuff you wrote I don't feel like going back and reading/responding. The only statement I really wanted to focus on was your blank statement about the terminator.
Cut the name calling.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #538
04svtsnke

Drives: '04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Cut the name calling.
Just calling it like I see it. In no means did I want him to cry or wet himself with shame, but everyone from both sides are tired of folks with blank statements that make no sense. Both companies continue to try to outdid one another and it would seem he doesn't acknowledge that with his statements. To sum it up, my apologies for name calling, I'll attempt to be more tactful next time
04svtsnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #539
101fng

Drives: 2009 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
Fact is all of those parts have a direct relation with the output of an engine so to say the engine was ok but those parts where bad doesn't really count its a complete package no?
Now take the blinders off for a moment and apply that logic to the ZL1 and it's cooling system...

Yes, the cobra was a dog. But you know what, Ford recalled it and "fixed" it and made things right with its customers. All the ZL1 needs is an intercooler "fix" and GM will have made things right with its customers. But no, you're defending GM instead of holding them accountable.
101fng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #540
04svtsnke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101fng View Post
Now take the blinders off for a moment and apply that logic to the ZL1 and it's cooling system...

Yes, the cobra was a dog. But you know what, Ford recalled it and "fixed" it and made things right with its customers. All the ZL1 needs is an intercooler "fix" and GM will have made things right with its customers. But no, you're defending GM instead of holding them accountable.
Thank you for reiterating what I was trying to say but in a nicer tone. Seeing as gm has a parts bin with zr1 stuff sitting on the shelves, at least change out the pump and hx. Reworking the intercooler may be some work but it should've been done from the factory. Well said sir
Old 08-13-2012, 11:28 PM   #541
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
You do realize the terminator came out after it was well known the camaros were going to be canned right? Ford couldve played GM's game and added cubes but it's clear they made the right choice by adding a power adder. You sound like a hypocrite when mocking ford when gm did the same thing years later after seeing how well forced induction did for ford. As for all the other stuff you wrote I don't feel like going back and reading/responding. The only statement I really wanted to focus on was your blank statement about the terminator.
What does it matter when 03/04 cobra came out? I never said they did I'm any way to beat the fbodys that where no longer around so please stop bringing that up since it had not merit in this conversation. Please explain how I'm a hypocrite when talking about forced induction on either side since Chevy never had to recall a car because it didn't make it's claimed power then stop making it only to redeem themselves by bringing it back with a blower did they? The zr1 didn't come out as a n/a car then need a blower make power it came as a blown car two different things completely.
Quote:
Just calling it like I see it. In no means did I want him to cry or wet himself with shame, but everyone from both sides are tired of folks with blank statements that make no sense. Both companies continue to try to outdid one another and it would seem he doesn't acknowledge that with his statements. To sum it up, my apologies for name calling, I'll attempt to be more tactful next time
Please point said "blank statement" that I posted about the 03/04 cobra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101fng View Post

Some of you ford guys really don't get it do you? I never defended GM when it comes to the problems with the zl1 I just mentioned that it has done what they said it would except run 11's. I agree they should do something to keep the engine from heating soaking but fact is it will still produce the Hp number they claim as for the cobra issue it never could so it's a different argument all together.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:46 AM   #542
04svtsnke

Quote:
What does it matter when 03/04 cobra came out? I never said they did I'm any way to beat the fbodys that where no longer around so please stop bringing that up since it had not merit in this conversation. Please explain how I'm a hypocrite when talking about forced induction on either side since Chevy never had to recall a car because it didn't make it's claimed power then stop making it only to redeem themselves by bringing it back with a blower did they? The zr1 didn't come out as a n/a car then need a blower make power it came as a blown car two different things completely.
You made a statement saying for need to put a blower on their motor to beat n/a motors which in fact isn't true since(as you said) the camaros weren't even being built anymore. SVT built that car to dominate anything on the road near its price range and it did a damn good job at it. You do know that the zr1 and the zl1 are iterations of the corvette and camaro, right? Weren't both cars n/a before being supercharged? How much sense would it have been for Chevy to just add more cubes when it was a lot easier to just supercharge them? That gets back to why you're a hypocrite, if the zl1 was a n/a car there would. E no comparison to the gt500 PERIOD. Chevy had to do the same thing for did and supercharge their flagship cars to continue to keep up with ford......just like ford had to in 03/04 as you've already said...do you get it?
Quote:
Please point said "blank statement" that I posted about the 03/04 cobra.
page 24, top of the page.....

Quote:
Some of you ford guys really don't get it do you? I never defended GM when it comes to the problems with the zl1 I just mentioned that it has done what they said it would except run 11's. I agree they should do something to keep the engine from heating soaking but fact is it will still produce the Hp number they claim as for the cobra issue it never could so it's a different argument all together.
I haven't seen anyone in the real world run any proclaimed times at the road course or am I missing that thread? All I've seen are one or two guys( besides the aftermarket companies) who have gone out and just said how great the car felt but never posted times that were relevant to GM's claims. There's no doubtnthe car may run 11's in cooler weather and negative DA, I just don't think it's fair it'll only do it in fair to cold weather. The gt500 runs its 1/4 mile in the heat(decent d/a) so why can't the zl1? That's all I'm saying...for a 60k car I should t have to wait until its cold out to run good times or track times. It should perform consistently without fail.

Last edited by 04svtsnke; 08-14-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:03 AM   #543
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
You made a statement saying for need to put a blower on their motor to beat n/a motors which in fact isn't true since(as you said) the camaros weren't even being built anymore. SVT built that car to dominate anything on the road near its price range and it did a damn good job at it. You do know that the zr1 and the zl1 are iterations of the corvette and camaro, right? Weren't both cars n/a before being supercharged? How much sense would it have been for Chevy to just add more cubes when it was a lot easier to just supercharge them? That gets back to why you're a hypocrite, if the zl1 was a n/a car there would. E no comparison to the gt500 PERIOD. Chevy had to do the same thing for did and supercharge their flagship cars to continue to keep up with ford......just like ford had to in 03/04 as you've already said...do you get it?
page 24, top of the page.....

I haven't seen anyone in the real world run any proclaimed times at the road course or am I missing that thread? All I've seen are one or two guys( besides the aftermarket companies) who have gone out and just said how great the car felt but never posted times that were relevant to GM's claims. There's no doin the car may run 11's in cooler weather and negative DA, I just don't think it's fair it'll only do it in fair to cold weather. The gt500 runs its 1/4 mile in the heat(decent d/a) so why can't the zl1? That's all I'm saying...for a 60k car I should t have to wait until its cold out to run good times or track times. It should perform consistently without fail.
Did I miss where a new bone stock 500 has run in the 11s or an impressive E/T for that matter, outside of mag testing corrected times and a prepped track? I went to the SVT forum yesterday and there were two more running 12s over the weekend, again big mph, but with E/Ts that could be challenged by a few other cars including the ZL1
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot

Last edited by newmoon; 08-14-2012 at 07:31 AM.
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #544
JWR046

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1786
The fact of the matter is that both cars are great and each person has their own preference. I think most of us could comment back and forth on these threads. The GT500 platform has had plenty of heat soak issues.I am a chevy guy and bought a ZL1 like most on the forums and could not be happier. I appreciate almost all cars and appreciate the mustang.

So the GT500 has been around for many years and Ford keeps improving the car to what it is today which is a great accomplishment and the people that buy them should thoroughly enjoy that effort. The Zl1 has just been released and the car is another great accomplishment. I have no doubt that the ZL1 will be upgraded and improved just like the GT500 has. So in the end we all win.
JWR046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #545
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HpJunkie69 View Post
Guess you over looked this one. Not bad for a heat soaked car from a driver that pretty much didnt have a clue what he was doing. All on stock rubber.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...llow-long.html

With 125+ mph traps it is insane for anyone to doubt if this car can run 11's even if NO ONE has did it yet. Its only a matter of time.

With the ZL1 on the other hand theres PLENTY of reason to doubt this car of bein capable of 11's on street tires bone stock. The MPH just doesnt support it. Can a car get into the 11's with a 113mph trap speed?? Sure. With a 1.5 sixty foot, which NO ZL1 is gonna pull off. PERIOD.

On street tires a car would have to CONSISTENTLY trap very high teens to 120 mph to confidently say its capable of 11 sec passes.

I am not "bashing" the ZL1, facts are facts.
Good pass ,
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:39 AM   #546
Brakelate

Drives: '03 Mustang Cobra
Hi.