Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Recommended double din head unit with GPS and camera.

I am going to install the Metra kit and was hoping to get some recommendations on a head unit that others have used and like. I want to get one with both GPS and with rear view camera. GPS is secondary to the rear view camera but if I can get a recommendation on a system that has both that would be great.

I really wanted to get the Scosche or the Alpine system but I have read about to many problems and hardly no problems with the Metra kit.

Also, did most of you do your own install or did you have your systems installed?

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
camarograna2
Car Enthusiast

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro 2SS A/T
Send a message via MSN to camarograna2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
hardly no problems with the Metra kit.
Lol funny guy

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=camaro+metra+dash+kit+problem
Old 12-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
camarograna2
Car Enthusiast

The first post was for jokes. For your question search for doubledmods a vendor here who can set u up wih dash kit and double din
Old 12-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
OHIOSS
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarograna2 View Post
Thanks for the link. I knew there were problems in the beginning but I thought Metra had cleaned up their issues.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
OHIOSS
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarograna2 View Post
The first post was for jokes. For your question search for doubledmods a vendor here who can set u up wih dash kit and double din
I am buying the Metra kit from another member and will be buying the head unit from a local electronics company. I believe in supporting local businesses if it makes sense. If I can't find a head unit for a competitive price I will buy one online.

In the mean time, does anyone have any suggestions on a unit that worked right out of the box and has been working since it was installed? Obviously I would like to buy a unit that others have installed with no interface issues.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
camarograna2
Car Enthusiast

Quote:
I am buying the Metra kit from another member and will be buying the head unit from a local electronics company. I believe in supporting local businesses if it makes sense. If I can't find a head unit for a competitive price I will buy one online.

In the mean time, does anyone have any suggestions on a unit that worked right out of the box and has been working since it was installed? Obviously I would like to buy a unit that others have installed with no interface issues.
I hear ya on local business.. Less hassle when something breaks down as well. Got mine from local shop. Kenwood 9990HD. GPS, aha & pandora apps, iPhone or droid integration, awesome sound, free traffic but most of them give u that now
Old 12-05-2012, 05:59 AM   #7
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
I've got the Kenwood 9990 HD sitting ready to install, I was told there was a recent firmware update within the past few weeks to fix the freezing and reboot.

I went with the Scosche just for personal preference. Spoke w the only 2 ppl I personally know that own it and they both said no.problems.

I have another friend w the Metra- he had one of the first; a lot of probs at the start; but they replaced the kit and its been fine ever since.

Trying the install myself... beginning to think this may be a mistake tho.... below is a list of items I purchased for the radio/install... really added up:
Kenwood 9990DX
Scosche Kit
Kenwood 210 Camera
Pac.Swi RC adapter
USB extension cord
16 GB SD card
Video/brake lock bypass

And had the Scosche painted.... I'm upwards of $2k.... didn't realize the end cost when I began this endeavor... woulda reconsidered had I known the final.price tag. Food.for thought.
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
TeamTCA

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS #21068
Kenwood DNX-9990HD or even the DNX-6990HD (which I prefer more). Although the 9990 makes a cleaner install in the Camaro. Both are exceptional, clean decks. Typical "slower" boot up times due to Garmin navigation but work awesome and sound even better...

Kenwood Excelon, Rockford Fosgate, JBL, Hertz, Audison, Illusion Audio,
Mosconi, Diamond Audio, Hybrid Audio, WetSounds, & more
TeamTCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #9
OHIOSS
Russ

Looks like Kenwood is the unit of choice.

Drago77- Isn't that the way things always seem to work, you start out thinking it's going to be like $100 and the next thing you know you are triple that and aren't even done!

I've made the decision that I am going to have the system installed by a professional. I had originally thought I could keep the cost close to $1,000 but I can tell it will likely double that.

Thanks for the info guys.

Russ
Old 12-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #10
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

TCA- refreshing to hear an endorsement for the Kenwoods... read a lot of negatives (after I bought mine; of course!)

Russ... yeah- I had a $1200 expectancy; wife told me tonight $2200; and that's parts alone- and I bargain shop!!!! I spent about $100 over generic to get the Kenwood camera... never done a back up cam, and with the limited view in a vert (top up), plus my sport bar and tint... I didn't wanna skimp there... otherwise; I found rock bottom prices on everything... $2200 doesn't include an iPod cable.nor Sirrus/XM neither of which I use... depending on your budget and preference; if u PM me; I CNN send u the info on where I got the parts... an installer may charge $39 for the same gold plated USB cable I got for $5... but they may also jack up the labor if u bring ur own parts.... here to help if u need it!
Old 12-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #11
Double D Mods

Drives: 2012 Grand Sport Convertible Vette
The new Kenwoods coming out are awesome. You guys are going to love them once I ma able to release the info to you.
Double D Mods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #12
camarograna2
Car Enthusiast

Regarding the new kenwoods... I dunno wifi really doesn't do it for me. A processor 3X that of the 9990 then that would get me interested
Old 12-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
OHIOSS
Russ

Do the Kenwood units offer BOTH rear view camera AND GPS? I was looking at some units and it appeared they offer one or the other but not both.

Russ
Old 12-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #14
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Quote:
Do the Kenwood units offer BOTH rear view camera AND GPS? I was looking at some units and it appeared they offer one or the other but not both.

Russ
Can't speak for all the units; but the 9990hd does. Garmin GPS (and antenna) included with unit. Back up cam ready... just gotta buy the cam. Range from $25 (generic) to $300 Kenwood.

Pioneer AVIC offers the same; and similar radio function. Although it's not Garmin GPS. A little cheaper and still in production at least though.