Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
WOW and I thought Car Audio was expensive

I purchased a new boat this summer and blown away with cost of audio upgrades. Its a Regal 2300 boat with a Power Tower. Looking to put a pair of Wet Sounds Rev 10's on the Tower along with Wet Sounds amp or ARC amp. RGB LED rings as well with RGB music Controller....Cost $3000 installed!! Needless to say I was kinda shocked for some reason.
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
the barber

Drives: 13' Sw 2ss Ls3
More than likely because those speakers are designed as marine audio im guessing which is meant to endure the outdoor elements as to where reg car audio would probably only last a season
the barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
lfree11012

Drives: 2018 1LE
Marine audio is always book g to be more expensive this big killer that they have to protect from is the salt. But jlaudio Rockford clarion and a few other have a line of marine audio I would look around a little bit 3000 is a lot of bread to part with for something you may take out how many times a year ????
lfree11012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:26 AM   #4
the barber

Just get some marine grade components n call it a day
Old 09-10-2013, 12:26 AM   #5
the barber

Installation is probably another factor
Old 09-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #6
NH 2012 SS/RS

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS L99 IBM
BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand
2SS/RS IBM * American Racing BLVD Wheels * 275/40 * 295/40 Toyo Proxes * Eibach 1" drop Springs * Elite Catch Can * CAI w/ scoop * CFD Carbon Fiber Pistol Grip Shifter w/ Tap Shift * APR Carbon Fiber Splitter * Sequential Tail Lights * MPD1 Spoiler * Hex Vents (CF dipped) * GFX Skirts * BBK SS Shorties * MBRP 3"Exhaust w/ X pipe * Solo Hi-Flow Cats *
NH 2012 SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
baum

Drives: 2013 1LS, 2013 Ram 1500
Marine grade speakers are a waste. the only difference between the marine and the regular is they coat the basket of the speaker.

When i was an installer the only thing special i would do for a boat is coat a sub box with resign to make it water resistant. otherwise i would install just regular equipment and never had issues.
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
TeamTCA

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS #21068
Wet Sounds by far is the leader in TRUE Marine audio gear. We have sold them for years and they are very nice. There are pros and cons to any of the "horn loaded" drivers though. I have this discussion with customers all the time. If you want to be just LOUD, especially from well behind the boat (wakeboarder, etc) then the REV series are the way to go. They have a horn loaded compression tweeter in the middle of the mid driver. The high freq's will take your head off if you are close or in the boat BUT sound awesome 150ft or more behind the boat. The REV 10's handle 300w RMS per speaker so they will take the power. $1200/set retail with Fixed Clamps. Now IMO the better option that most go for are the ICON 8's. They use a traditional coax type speaker with a 1" titanium tweeter. Way smoother sound, clean, awesome in boat or just behind in water- swimming, etc. (150w RMS each) They sound good farther back as well, just don't have the output of the compression driver. They are cheaper too, $750 with Fixed Clamps. Sometimes however how do need the Swivel Clamps, which when purchased with the cans usually run about another $150/set. More expensive if you swap then later.

We have used tons of different "marine" speakers and nothing is built even close to a Wet Sounds. The voice coils are aluminum (no rust), full rubber treated spiders, surrounds, poly cones, etc. The sun will not fade the speakers or deteriorate them. The in-boat speakers are by far my favorite. We use them on atv's & side by sides too. They take the weather, dirt, mud, etc. Wash them off and go on! They do cost a little more but they last and take the abuse.

And yes, any sub enclosure in any boat has to be treated, fiberglass resined, etc to withstand the elements. I traditional car woofer with poly cone is fine for the most part. Same with amps. Although, a true marine amp will have the circuit board coated to withstand the moisture buildup. None are 100% waterproof.

Kenwood Excelon, Rockford Fosgate, JBL, Hertz, Audison, Illusion Audio,
Mosconi, Diamond Audio, Hybrid Audio, WetSounds, & more
TeamTCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #9
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTCA View Post
Wet Sounds by far is the leader in TRUE Marine audio gear. We have sold them for years and they are very nice. There are pros and cons to any of the "horn loaded" drivers though. I have this discussion with customers all the time. If you want to be just LOUD, especially from well behind the boat (wakeboarder, etc) then the REV series are the way to go. They have a horn loaded compression tweeter in the middle of the mid driver. The high freq's will take your head off if you are close or in the boat BUT sound awesome 150ft or more behind the boat. The REV 10's handle 300w RMS per speaker so they will take the power. $1200/set retail with Fixed Clamps. Now IMO the better option that most go for are the ICON 8's. They use a traditional coax type speaker with a 1" titanium tweeter. Way smoother sound, clean, awesome in boat or just behind in water- swimming, etc. (150w RMS each) They sound good farther back as well, just don't have the output of the compression driver. They are cheaper too, $750 with Fixed Clamps. Sometimes however how do need the Swivel Clamps, which when purchased with the cans usually run about another $150/set. More expensive if you swap then later.

We have used tons of different "marine" speakers and nothing is built even close to a Wet Sounds. The voice coils are aluminum (no rust), full rubber treated spiders, surrounds, poly cones, etc. The sun will not fade the speakers or deteriorate them. The in-boat speakers are by far my favorite. We use them on atv's & side by sides too. They take the weather, dirt, mud, etc. Wash them off and go on! They do cost a little more but they last and take the abuse.

And yes, any sub enclosure in any boat has to be treated, fiberglass resined, etc to withstand the elements. I traditional car woofer with poly cone is fine for the most part. Same with amps. Although, a true marine amp will have the circuit board coated to withstand the moisture buildup. None are 100% waterproof.
Was looking at the Wet Sounds do to tubbing, knee boarding and wake boarding. I thought this might be a great setup to get sound back there. I do have a concern with blasting people out of the boat though.

When I saw and heard this video was like WOW that seems like the way to go..

CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote