Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-22-2009, 03:44 PM   #85
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
See the other replies before me. Freaking out cause someone boiled STREET FLUID while racing his car is pretty funny. Thats the reason he lost his brakes, not cause the calipers are not up to snuff. If you are tracking this car, flushing out the system and putting in some superblue is a requirement, and takes what, an hour if you have a bleeder? How much is a can of superblue ...15 bucks? Christ.

This is a street car, and just like they recommend in the manual to change the diff fluid if you plan to race, brake fluid should be a no brainer. These brakes will work GREAT for HPDEs with good pads and a fluid change, they will last perfectly fine. That said if you are road racing, and I mean real road racing, you need a road racing kit. Unless you want a $50,000 Camaro, no street car under a 911 GT3 comes with brakes like the kit installed here, and you should never have expected it to begin with.
Two things:

1. I wasn't freaking out
2. He wasn't racing

Here's what Brian said: The car was a week old, and he was getting ready to strip it down to make a real race car out of it. But before doing that, he wanted to take it to the track to see what it was in stock form, for a benchmark. Before hitting the track, he did swap out the pads. He then tested the car on a road course, and during his second stint, the brake pedal went to the floor. He parked the car, flushed the fluid, took it on the track again and the pedal went to the floor again, this time in the third stint.

Now I don't know how hard he was running it, and how hard he was braking. But it sounded to me like it was comparable to an HPDE track day. My only surprise is that the Brembo brakes failed. Brian's opinion is not only would you need ATE Super Blue, but you might also need ducting to cool things off.

If the Super Blue is all it takes to have awesome brakes on the track for an HPDE, then that's cool with me...
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:49 PM   #86
UsedTaHaveA68

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
Sounds like he might have had air in the line. No offense to him, but nobody's perfect.
UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:22 AM   #87
fighterace34
Account Suspended

Drives: 2001 civic (piece of junk)
Send a message via Skype™ to fighterace34
the rotors look like they are on backwards. or are they like that for more stopping power. seems like the left should be on the right and the right should be on the left.
fighterace34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:53 AM   #88
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
Two things:

1. I wasn't freaking out
2. He wasn't racing

Here's what Brian said: The car was a week old, and he was getting ready to strip it down to make a real race car out of it. But before doing that, he wanted to take it to the track to see what it was in stock form, for a benchmark. Before hitting the track, he did swap out the pads. He then tested the car on a road course, and during his second stint, the brake pedal went to the floor. He parked the car, flushed the fluid, took it on the track again and the pedal went to the floor again, this time in the third stint.

Now I don't know how hard he was running it, and how hard he was braking. But it sounded to me like it was comparable to an HPDE track day. My only surprise is that the Brembo brakes failed. Brian's opinion is not only would you need ATE Super Blue, but you might also need ducting to cool things off.

If the Super Blue is all it takes to have awesome brakes on the track for an HPDE, then that's cool with me...
I apologize because i was a bit dramatic in my response. I did read his post, and IMO I would never take a street car out on track for any sort of lapping session without some good fluid in it. And i wouldn't be surprised that if I did go out with the factory fluid, I would manage to cook it pretty quickly.

Sounds to me like everything was too hot even after his second bleed, once you boil the fluid its in bad shape. Before making a final determination on what would be needed to track this car there would definitely need to be much more testing done. Extra brake cooling is never a bad idea tho IMO.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:35 PM   #89
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
I can't believe I'll be the first to say this. This is complete B.S!! I thought when you got Brembo's on a car, they were the upgraded brakes.

So the "Brembos" that come on the 2SS are just basic brakes with the Brembo name on them? So if you want "real" Brembos then you already have to upgrade. These should have been the brakes that came on the 2SS to begin with, this is bullshit!!! Brembo can suck it!

If I'm going to spend money to upgrade I'm not getting Brembos!!

Fail. The stock Brembos are great street brakes. Phenomenal, considering they're working against about 4000 lbs and 430hp. However, putting an unprepped car on the track and pushing it to 7/10ths+ and expecting factory stuff to work is just ridiculous. This is the same story with virtually all cars.

Hawk Blue or Porterfield R4 pads, some RGS610 or comparable fluid, maybe an aftermarket 2 piece rotor to dissipate heat, and you should be golden. Ducting if you've got a lot of HEAVY braking or you're just that good (or bad). The calipers have more than enough

People have to prep their Z06s, M3s, Vipers, and so on and so forth the same way. Stuff designed to work on the street usually doesn't work on the track and vice versa. Those pads I mentioned? GARBAGE on the street. Great on the track. Changing pads on the Brembos is a breeze too. You can do it at the track before you go out, and swap them back to drive home. Have to rebed your street pads after, but that's not an issue for someone who wants to track-day their car.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:51 PM   #90
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I apologize because i was a bit dramatic in my response. I did read his post, and IMO I would never take a street car out on track for any sort of lapping session without some good fluid in it. And i wouldn't be surprised that if I did go out with the factory fluid, I would manage to cook it pretty quickly.
No problem, Rogue. With only three HPDE track days under my belt, I'm still a noob. So I'm definitely all ears when guys with more experience are trying to help me out. Especially since my most recent HPDE at Watkins Glen resulted in my brake pedal almost going to the floor in the last track session.

I learned the hard way that braking hard repeatedly from triple-digit mph is not what a stock brake system was designed for.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:01 PM   #91
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
I can't believe I'll be the first to say this. This is complete B.S!! I thought when you got Brembo's on a car, they were the upgraded brakes.

So the "Brembos" that come on the 2SS are just basic brakes with the Brembo name on them? So if you want "real" Brembos then you already have to upgrade. These should have been the brakes that came on the 2SS to begin with, this is bullshit!!! Brembo can suck it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
Fail. The stock Brembos are great street brakes. Phenomenal, considering they're working against about 4000 lbs and 430hp. However, putting an unprepped car on the track and pushing it to 7/10ths+ and expecting factory stuff to work is just ridiculous. This is the same story with virtually all cars.

Hawk Blue or Porterfield R4 pads, some RGS610 or comparable fluid, maybe an aftermarket 2 piece rotor to dissipate heat, and you should be golden. Ducting if you've got a lot of HEAVY braking or you're just that good (or bad). The calipers have more than enough

People have to prep their Z06s, M3s, Vipers, and so on and so forth the same way. Stuff designed to work on the street usually doesn't work on the track and vice versa. Those pads I mentioned? GARBAGE on the street. Great on the track. Changing pads on the Brembos is a breeze too. You can do it at the track before you go out, and swap them back to drive home. Have to rebed your street pads after, but that's not an issue for someone who wants to track-day their car.
I can't believe I'm going to disagree with SSOOCH and agree with "Mr. You're gonna get wheelhop".

I have the car. I also have an LS1 to compare it to. There is a night and day difference between the two. The brakes on my 2001 LS1 are similar to what you get on today's Mustang GT.

The stock Brembo brakes on this car are unbelievable! They may not be Brembo's top of the line but do they really need to be? Put it this way, when I have to make a sudden stop on the highway at 70 MPH (done it), I don't worry about hitting the guy in front of me, I worry about the guy behind me running into my ass.

Those mega piston calipers shown here are what should be offered on a Z (should it come out). BTW - wanna get a Vette guy ticked off? Park next to a C5 Z06 and compare the rear brakes.....
Old 07-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #92
Kinetic Kev HWSE 2013

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels Special Edition
That's a really good look I like the drilled rotars they really make the car even more sexier then it already is.
Kinetic Kev HWSE 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:44 PM   #93
gunslinger

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
I don't mean to sling mud, but for the price for the front only as stated in the first post, a set of carbon ceramic disk brakes are possible.

The 4th Gen kit with Porsche 996 calipers and a set of carbon ceramic rotors were in the $4500 range.

To be fair, I don't remember the size of the rotors, but it shouldn't be double the price to add and extra inch of rotor diameter...
Old 07-25-2009, 08:51 AM   #94
SoloSK71

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
I don't mean to sling mud, but for the price for the front only as stated in the first post, a set of carbon ceramic disk brakes are possible.

The 4th Gen kit with Porsche 996 calipers and a set of carbon ceramic rotors were in the $4500 range.

To be fair, I don't remember the size of the rotors, but it shouldn't be double the price to add and extra inch of rotor diameter...
Last time I checked a CC set of brakes for this car was in the 15K range. Of course there are probably cheaper ones.

- SK
- Good money, bad girls. How can life be any better?
- God saves. The devil invests.

- This may be the ultimate guide to problem solving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyCarlo View Post
it's not a WD-40 problem, so it's got to be a duct tape problem
SoloSK71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:44 AM   #95
Ltdodge

Drives: 2008 Z06
these brakes are for every day driving not racing. if you look at the manual on page 8-7, it says that for competitive driving the brake fluid should be changed for a higher temp brake fluid....
Old 07-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #96
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post

In your opinion, would the stock brakes, with upgraded pads, lines, and fluids be sufficient for drag racing applications- thought I would ask because when you say "track" I'm assuming you mean in autocross type of events in this case.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:45 PM   #97
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
4250 for the front and 3395 for the rear?! thats retail im guessing. i can get it cheaper thn that. looks good.
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:35 PM   #98
Wesman

Drives: Trans Am
Quote:

You're getting carried away.

Your car comes with real Brembo brakes. Same ones you'd get on an STi, Evo, GT500, CTS-V, ect. They are 2 piece aluminum calipers. They are not "basic brakes" at all. Standard cars come with 1 or 2 piston sliding calipers, made of either cast iron or aluminum.

They are MORE than adequate for street duty and normal track use. You would only need to upgrade if you were getting into some seriously competitive road racing with engine mods and higher speeds.
Wesman is offline   Reply With Quote