Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 01-25-2016, 01:29 PM   #15
ForcFed93

Drives: 2001 2500HD
I've never used a drop over my 8500 miles. Also, that seems really hot on the oil temp. In the dead of summer under normal driving mine won't get any higher than 210-212.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:04 PM   #16
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
I collect 7 ounces in my CC every 5000 miles. My car is my DD and I do like running through the gears every day! In 21K miles, I only remember 1 car going faster than me from a redlight. It was around 55 degrees, yeah no traction, I was spinning.
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2016, 05:23 PM   #17
Kendall421

Drives: 1969 Z28, 1982 Z28, 2014 SS/RS/1LE
I am anal as hell about checking my fluids. I changed oil at 1500, 4500, and will before spring at 9000. Basically once a year as I don't hit 5000 in a year. With that, I have probably added a half to 3/4 quart between changes. Not at all abnormal as others have pointed out. I do have a catch can on mine too and it catches a little.

But...2 quarts is a lot...unless that was over the course of about 10K miles. I figure about a quart in 4500 miles is what I would lose. Most my cars don't lose any...but with the agressive driving and catch can...and notice from GM, I am fine with that.

Really though...you should not ever be two quarts down without having caught it sooner. Check your fluids regularly. Its just good practice.
Kendall421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:28 PM   #18
blakjak55
drinks virgil's

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
My oil temps run a steady 215 give or take and I go through about a quart or so every 6-7k miles. Granted, my last two changes have been with Pennzoil Ultra. This time I went back to M1 to see if it's going to make a difference or not. Not that I care that much as it's an acceptable use rate but just something I'm checking out.

Two quarts would have me (IMO) looking for a small leak or suspecting something else small like a stem seal or a cylinder or two that the rings may not be as well off as the others.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:42 PM   #19
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Do a Compression test...easy to do if you have the proper apparatus.

Get that one out of the way.

I'm willing to bet, your oil temps were high, because you were always too low on oil, right from the get-go
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:12 PM   #20
cajun1le
The Mechanic

Drives: a sports car
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrmoreira13 View Post
I was wondering of this because today I had to add 2 quarts of oil to my car. (5W30) and I DD the car. I don't take it to the track just my daily commute and the usual pulls on the highway when it is clear. So I keep getting notices that the oil is super low and I check the dipstick and sure enough it is. So if it is not the sensor what else can burn oil so much ?
If it is any relevance the average temp (based off the sensor on the car) of the oil is around 230 to 238 (Once I reach 240 I try to slow down cause I know it is getting too hot)
Well first things first, you need to obtain some data and present it to your dealer to determine if there might be a consumption issue with your vehicle or not. Not every engine is created equal and some might consume more oil than others during specific periods of the engines life. And as some members mentioned in this thread, oil consumption can be greater during the break-in period which can range from 5,000 to 10,000 miles or more. For instance, my engine consumed 1 quart within 1800 miles and an additional 1/2 quart from 1,800 to 4,200 miles.

Anyways, to start the diagnostic process, perform the following:

1) We need to establish a baseline, measure the oil level after the engine has been at rest for at least 5 minutes and ensure that the level is at the "full" line(third dot). If it is below the full line, add oil until it is full.

2) Measure the oil level at every fuel fill-up or 500 miles (either or). If the engine is low, add oil but this time log how much oil you added, the date and your odometer reading.

Continue to perform the datalogging process for about 3,000 miles. If your engine within the test period consumed a quart or more within 1000 miles, then further inspection is needed. Return to your service center and inform them that you believe your engine is consuming oil and be sure you present the information that you have been logging. If their in house tests (compression and leak-down) prove inconclusive then they may ask you to continue logging your consumption at regular intervals and present the second data-set.

As for what to expect for possible corrective action. If they do decide to tear into the motor, then they might try looking for external/internal leaks, installing new piston rings and or inspect the cylinder walls for scaring, shape and general condition.

Oh, and one last thing. Oil temps of 210-240 is considered a norm in our climate while the engine is under load/driving. My oil temps during the summer months were between 220-238 as well. Oil temperature differential of 20-30 degrees from the engine coolant temp is normal since the oil heat exchanger efficiency is tied to the relative engine coolant temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarotobeornottobe View Post
GM has put on a technical bulletin saying 1 qt every 2000 miles is "normal" under "normal driving" conditions for the LS motors.
You are exactly right.

Last edited by cajun1le; 01-25-2016 at 10:32 PM.
cajun1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:07 PM   #21
rgrmoreira13

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun1le View Post
Well first things first, you need to obtain some data and present it to your dealer to determine if there might be a consumption issue with your vehicle or not. Not every engine is created equal and some might consume more oil than others during specific periods of the engines life. And as some members mentioned in this thread, oil consumption can be greater during the break-in period which can range from 5,000 to 10,000 miles or more. For instance, my engine consumed 1 quart within 1800 miles and an additional 1/2 quart from 1,800 to 4,200 miles.

Anyways, to start the diagnostic process, perform the following:

1) We need to establish a baseline, measure the oil level after the engine has been at rest for at least 5 minutes and ensure that the level is at the "full" line(third dot). If it is below the full line, add oil until it is full.

2) Measure the oil level at every fuel fill-up or 500 miles (either or). If the engine is low, add oil but this time log how much oil you added, the date and your odometer reading.

Continue to perform the datalogging process for about 3,000 miles. If your engine within the test period consumed a quart or more within 1000 miles, then further inspection is needed. Return to your service center and inform them that you believe your engine is consuming oil and be sure you present the information that you have been logging. If their in house tests (compression and leak-down) prove inconclusive then they may ask you to continue logging your consumption at regular intervals and present the second data-set.

As for what to expect for possible corrective action. If they do decide to tear into the motor, then they might try looking for external/internal leaks, installing new piston rings and or inspect the cylinder walls for scaring, shape and general condition.

Oh, and one last thing. Oil temps of 210-240 is considered a norm in our climate while the engine is under load/driving. My oil temps during the summer months were between 220-238 as well. Oil temperature differential of 20-30 degrees from the engine coolant temp is normal since the oil heat exchanger efficiency is tied to the relative engine coolant temp.

You are exactly right.

As a matter of fact I am going to start an oil log (so to speak) to record these events. And I am going to create a log for all fluids for this vehicle. I was going to take it to the dealer the next time the indicator turned on so they can see or investigate why that sensor was turning on.

TSP Stage 2 Boosted Cam 227/235 at 114 LSA
Fore Innovation Triple pump staged (Walbro 342 primary and 2x Walbro 450 secondaries)
Procharger D1x with a 3.85 pulley
ID1050x Injectors
Flex Fuel Sensor
Monster LT1 Twin Disk Clutch
Holley Sniper Efi Intake Manifold
NW 103mm Boosted TB
747rwhp at 12psi on E85
rgrmoreira13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:04 PM   #22
Martinez4

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss
At around 4300 miles my low oil light came on. I was 3 quarts low. Added oil and took it to the dealer. They said 1 quart per 1k miles is with in spec. So they changed the oil. Sealed the dip stick and oil cap and are monitoring it every 2k. I took it back already and it was low 16oz. I'd start a history trail with the dealer in case anything does go wrong they won't hassle you
Martinez4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:38 PM   #23
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
added a Qt today at 3700 mi. first oil change was at 1800 mil. going to the dealer for change #2 next month. my foot is always in it
Old 01-26-2016, 04:39 PM   #24
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
Before my last oil change, I had to add about 1 quart (honestly, I don't check it often enough.) Car had roughly 16000 miles on it. I'm going to start checking it every 2000 miles. I have never gotten the oil low warning however, and I track the car and DD. I use synthetic Mobil 1 (or Dexos 1 as GM calls it).
Old 02-01-2016, 07:48 PM   #25
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarotobeornottobe View Post
GM has put on a technical bulletin saying 1 qt every 2000 miles is "normal" under "normal driving" conditions for the LS motors.

It further states that more oil loss is considered normal if the car is in break-in (defined as under 4000 miles) or is driven hard. It goes on to say that the hard driving (for the sake of oil usage consideration) is when you regularly go over 3000 RPM before shifting.

Point here, there will be many folks who scream that their car doesn't use a drop. That's great and all, but oil consumption will vary, and GM will not take action unless they do an oil usage analysis and come up with something more extreme than I described here.

If you do a search on this forum, you will find many opinions on what folks THINK is normal to them. There are also threads about "excessive" oil in catch cans -- when the actual amounts caught, while alarming at first sight, are actually far less than the allowable usage amounts described here.

So, if you lost that 2 quarts during break-in, under hard driving, and over a period of 4000+ miles -- or some combination thereof -- than you really still fall within "normal." For those that do use some oil, you can also expect oil usage to drop after break-in.
Exactly. It's also listed in the OWNERS MANUAL, if anyone bothered to read it.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  98.4 KB
Old 02-02-2016, 08:52 AM   #26
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
If it hasn't been asked yet, how many miles has it been since your last oil change (or if its from new, how many miles do you have on it)?

I'd say that two quarts in between 3,000 miles is borderline excessive. GM has had a very high usage tolerance in the past before they would put in corrective measures (I remember something like a quart per 1100 miles as a basic acceptance level), but insist that the dealer measure the usage of oil with your engine.

If you are not racing the car, then IMO modern cars should require very little or no oil between changes at moderate distances (3,000 miles). Keep in mind that if you are keeping oil in the car beyond 5,000 miles then its possible that the engine oil will need topping off at some point.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:01 AM   #27
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Not hardly a day goes by without me seeing 5K RPM's at some point. Just can't help it, when you can go from a redlight, on a 4 lane road, with the speed limit of 55 mph.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:02 AM   #28
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Not hardly a day goes by without me seeing 5K RPM's at some point. Just can't help it, when you can go from a redlight, on a 4 lane road, with the speed limit of 55 mph.
+1...

Large tight loops feeding on to slab is great too... accelerating out of it, these cars just hug!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote