Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-05-2016, 07:16 PM   #1
skysharker1
Airborne Paratroopers!!!

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Convertible
Location: Mid-NJ.....13 Year Army Paratrooper. Death from Above!!!
Send a message via AIM to skysharker1 Send a message via Yahoo to skysharker1
Bad Throwout??

Hey everyone!!! I replaced my stock clutch with a Spec Stage 2 almost a month ago now, and have only put a little over 200 miles on it. While I was down there, I also replaced my throwout bearing with a new one purchased from the dealer. Reason for the changes: I was having problems getting into 1st gear and there was this grinding sound when the clutch was pushed all the way in, but no sound when released. I was told it was the TOB, so while I was changing that out, I decided to just replace the clutch as well. The car has almost 67K on her and I am not an aggressive driver. She is not my DD, just for the weekends. Anywho, for the past week, I've been hearing this spinning sound when the car is in neutral, but it goes away when I press on the clutch oh-so-slightly, and there have been times when it's hard to take the car out of reverse or 1st, but only when creeping. I'm thinking it may be a bad throwout bearing, even though I got it from the dealer.

Does anyone know of any aftermarket TOB that will work with my vehicle other than the OEM from the dealer?

Any advice or suggestions?? Thanks!!

Last edited by skysharker1; 08-05-2016 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Add
skysharker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:33 PM   #2
SS Blinder

Drives: 2011 SS (Sparrow Spearer???)
Sounds like a TOB gone bad. Not sure if the V6 transmission uses same slave and TOB setup as the TR6060, but look into getting the upgraded monster bearing support.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:10 AM   #3
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
The stock slave in the transmission is the weak part because of the plastic bearing support that is supposed to not melt...... Monster makes one of billet aluminum I have installed on my car and many others do also. If your having clutch chatter which it sounds like to me the clutch may need adjusted better but could have built up some slop on this support as it is plastic and have seen pics of them melted. But hey I see your not a daily driver, clutches do take time to break in just like rear ends, so I am talking stop and go driving for like 500 miles but should take less. If it gets too noisy or grabby if your down low trying to "creep" that's not good for now but some have a higher rpm idle and stall speed to worry about. And avoiding riding the clutch its a exercise in coasting repeatedly for me to drive under 15 mph or so because my take off rpm is about 1500 rpm.

IMO let it work for a while, bleed the little amount you have clutch fluid and if you have not thoroughly checked your slave and its bearing support ? do it suspiciously, its just going to take time to break in the new clutch and see if its needing the hydraulics set up better or the pads worn in slightly also.... And some clutches have chatter which can be a intermittent tapping... and I am glad mine doesn't, though if I leave my foot resting on the pedal I can feel any road vibration and anything the pedal pics up from the flywheel spinning - You may decide you would have been better with just the stock clutch when it comes to noise or function. Good luck , hope it works out.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:32 PM   #4
skysharker1
Airborne Paratroopers!!!

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Convertible
Location: Mid-NJ.....13 Year Army Paratrooper. Death from Above!!!
Send a message via AIM to skysharker1 Send a message via Yahoo to skysharker1
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
The stock slave in the transmission is the weak part because of the plastic bearing support that is supposed to not melt...... Monster makes one of billet aluminum I have installed on my car and many others do also. If your having clutch chatter which it sounds like to me the clutch may need adjusted better but could have built up some slop on this support as it is plastic and have seen pics of them melted. But hey I see your not a daily driver, clutches do take time to break in just like rear ends, so I am talking stop and go driving for like 500 miles but should take less. If it gets too noisy or grabby if your down low trying to "creep" that's not good for now but some have a higher rpm idle and stall speed to worry about. And avoiding riding the clutch its a exercise in coasting repeatedly for me to drive under 15 mph or so because my take off rpm is about 1500 rpm.

IMO let it work for a while, bleed the little amount you have clutch fluid and if you have not thoroughly checked your slave and its bearing support ? do it suspiciously, its just going to take time to break in the new clutch and see if its needing the hydraulics set up better or the pads worn in slightly also.... And some clutches have chatter which can be a intermittent tapping... and I am glad mine doesn't, though if I leave my foot resting on the pedal I can feel any road vibration and anything the pedal pics up from the flywheel spinning - You may decide you would have been better with just the stock clutch when it comes to noise or function. Good luck , hope it works out.
Thank you for the feedback!!
So you think I should bleed the clutch again? And how do I check the slave and bearing support without dropping the trans?
skysharker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:45 PM   #5
Centerforce_Clutches

Drives: Chevy Camaro
You wanna make sure that fluid is crystal clear before troubleshooting any further. Did your clutch come with a shim?
Centerforce_Clutches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:10 PM   #6
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Try replacing your clutch master as well bud.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote