Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 11-18-2016, 10:41 PM   #1
BustedCrank

Drives: Broken
DSSV?

I was figuring the next z/28 would lose the spool valves in order to keep the price tag down a little. But with the new ZR2 coming out with spool valves in it, I'm guessing we may see them in the next Z/28 as well.
BustedCrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:45 PM   #2
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
We should. Those shocks are magic.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:42 AM   #3
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Al O said a Z/28 would be more analogue than the ZL1 or 1LE, so I would guess DSSV and Torsen diff.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:11 PM   #4
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Al O said a Z/28 would be more analogue than the ZL1 or 1LE, so I would guess DSSV and Torsen diff.
Hmm. I want that e-diff though. I get away with all sorts of situations with the e-diff on my M5
Old 11-19-2016, 08:22 PM   #5
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
After seeing them confirmed for the Colorado zr2, makes it more probable
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:54 PM   #6
USP45

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
So the guys who have run the 1LE on track gush about the mag ride and how it just magically soaks up all bumps and cushions that it runs over... how smooth and controlled it is. They relates where the last z/28 beat the track into submission and how the mag ride 1LE has been to finishing school and runs with finesse.

So the question I have is are the DSSV shocks really going to be better? I know what they are and how they worked, ran a set on a 2003 Evo and they cost me nearly $5k over 14 years ago. And yes they were great, but I just do not know that they sound better then the fe4 suspension setup. I wonder if mag ride and DSSV would play well with each other.

Damn I wish they would just reveal the thing.

Last edited by USP45; 11-21-2016 at 06:08 PM.
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:08 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by USP45 View Post
So the guys who have run the 1LE on track gush about the mag ride and how it just magically soaks up all bumps and cushions that it runs over... how smooth and controlled it is. They relates where the last z/28 beat the track into submission and how the mag ride 1LE has been to finishing school and runs with finesse.

So the question I have is are the DSSV shocks really going to be better? I know what they are and how they worked, ran a set on a 2003 Evo and they cost me nearly $5k over 14 years ago. And yes they were great, but I just do not know that they sound better then the 4fe suspension setup. I wonder if mag ride and DSSV would play well with each other.

DSSV offers inherent linear control and predictability. MR will never react exactly the same around a given corner...it's not supposed to.

I would also be very shocked if they opted for the torsen diff over the ediff.....but anything could happen.

I guess it depends on how racecar they want to make the race car.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:53 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by USP45 View Post

So the question I have is are the DSSV shocks really going to be better? I know what they are and how they worked, ran a set on a 2003 Evo and they cost me nearly $5k over 14 years ago. And yes they were great, but I just do not know that they sound better then the fe4 suspension setup. I wonder if mag ride and DSSV would play well with each other.

As I understand it, a MagRide setup generally allows a car to handle well and ride smoothly. It doesn't lead to the best possible handling (or ride quality), but strikes a great balance.

DSSV can be tuned to deliver exceptional characteristics for one end of the spectrum (say, handling) while still being quite good at the other end (in this case, ride).

So, for maximum performance a DSSV setup should still be superior. But for something intended to be more of an all-rounder, MagRide would be a better choice.

As for combining the two ... it might be possible. But I could definitely see the cost required exceeding benefit.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:52 PM   #9
6spdhyperblue

What if they made a street mode where the suspension is monitoring and making changes then a track mode where they set everything to a constant stiff
Old 11-22-2016, 03:26 AM   #10
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
As I understand it, a MagRide setup generally allows a car to handle well and ride smoothly. It doesn't lead to the best possible handling (or ride quality), but strikes a great balance.

DSSV can be tuned to deliver exceptional characteristics for one end of the spectrum (say, handling) while still being quite good at the other end (in this case, ride).

So, for maximum performance a DSSV setup should still be superior. But for something intended to be more of an all-rounder, MagRide would be a better choice.
This is it! I had a 13 ZL1 and a 15 Z/28 at the same time. I could feel the differences just like you describe on a daily basis.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:56 AM   #11
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
What if they made a street mode where the suspension is monitoring and making changes then a track mode where they set everything to a constant stiff
It's not quite that simple.

The beauty of the DSSV dampers is that the valving allows for progressive fluid flow. They literally custom-cut the valves to allow fluid to flow through the damper at different rates at different speeds of compression and rebound...specifically for each corner of each car.

If you set the stiffness to be constant the whole time...you're really not gaining much over a good monotube...a car like the Z/28 needs something better.

EDIT: also something to note regarding the physical function of DSSV vs MR dampers...MR shocks do not have valves...
Old 11-22-2016, 08:45 AM   #12
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
I'm thinking DSSV for Z/28, and...perhaps the C7 that's got the massive wing that's been around the web lately (ZR1?). ACR is the car to beat, and the Z/ is gonna be a threat to it, but the C7 coming would be a bigger threat. MUCH bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................

Last edited by iPODFAN11; 11-22-2016 at 09:03 AM.
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:02 AM   #13
6spdhyperblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
It's not quite that simple.

The beauty of the DSSV dampers is that the valving allows for progressive fluid flow. They literally custom-cut the valves to allow fluid to flow through the damper at different rates at different speeds of compression and rebound...specifically for each corner of each car.

If you set the stiffness to be constant the whole time...you're really not gaining much over a good monotube...a car like the Z/28 needs something better.

EDIT: also something to note regarding the physical function of DSSV vs MR dampers...MR shocks do not have valves...
This is tough to convay on here, I'm wondering about electrically magnitizing the DSSV valves somehow. in my mind you would still see some characteristic change by changing the oil viscosity flowing through that DSSV valve. to further clarify, totally changing the way current MR shocks are built today.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:48 AM   #14
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
This is tough to convay on here, I'm wondering about electrically magnitizing the DSSV valves somehow. in my mind you would still see some characteristic change by changing the oil viscosity flowing through that DSSV valve. to further clarify, totally changing the way current MR shocks are built today.
I think I get what you're saying, but you need to understand that the entire volume of the shock does not change viscosity as the MR system adjusts it's settings on the fly.

There are two electromagnetic coils that surround valve-less ports within the damper.....these coils/ports are actually located on the piston, so it's a moving part...Only the fluid moving through those coils are affected by the electromagnetic field.

In effect...the dampers are similar to standard dampers...except the valves are replaced by the EM coils.

DSSV is all about the valves. Precision tuned, and cut to do what they want...

I'm not sure the technologies are compatible.