Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-28-2010, 09:40 PM   #29
fisherssmoke

Drives: Black SS
You have to crank it up. My wife and I had to chase ours down the driveway the first week we had it. Live and learn.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:31 AM   #30
Shift

Drives: Me 2001 F150, The wife '11 2SS RS
Seems she exaggerated the damage. When I got home last night the front fascia was perfectly fine. It looks like it went over top of the curb and just the black thing under it hit the curb. I couldn't get a good look at that piece in the dark but cant imagine it did any more than put a couple scrapes on it. Not worried about it though seeing how it scrapes now and then getting it out of the driveway.

Didn't get a chance to play with the e brake so not sure if its good or not yet.
Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:53 AM   #31
rawj7
U.S. ARMY Aviation Mech

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS 6 Speed
I have the same problem with my car. if I dont pull real hard on the e-brake handle when i take my foot off the brake pedel the car starts to roll, I've been meaning to take it in and see if they can tighten it, now I better before something like that happens to my car.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:15 AM   #32
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
LOL... Every time I read threads like this it just cracks me up. I learned to drive a standard trans 40 years a go, and the first thing they taught us was to leave it in gear when parking. You people up north should really know better, also NEVER use the E-brake during the winter. Nothing worse than having the cable freeze up and you can't release the brake ...
The owners manual says to put it reverse then pull up the brake.
I did notice that you can think the brake is all the way up, but still requires a little extra to engage fully.

I've never heard not to use the hand brake during the winter. That makes no sense to me. If you don't use it, I'd think you would have more of a problem with it seizing up. Or maybe if you leave it parked all winter as a garage queen you would stretch the cable.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:26 AM   #33
Shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
I've never heard not to use the hand brake during the winter. That makes no sense to me. If you don't use it, I'd think you would have more of a problem with it seizing up. Or maybe if you leave it parked all winter as a garage queen you would stretch the cable.
Having the tires locked in on snow or ice can cause it to slide if it looses grip and once it starts sliding you cant get it back. Leaving it in gear gives it a little play so if it starts to move the tires will rotate slightly and dig in and hold traction.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:33 AM   #34
Shift

I played around testing it once at my dads house house with his ranger after an ice storm. Off the side the main strip of his driveway there is a paved parking area for 2 more cars but has about a 20 degree incline raising it about 3 feet before it levels off. We would take 10 minutes trying to get his ranger on top the hill then set the e brake and could push it back down the hill with 1 hand. Then we tried it with the e brake off and it was noticeably more difficult.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:34 AM   #35
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
Its not operator error, over the weekend I parked on an uphill driveway and it started rolling backwards. I double checked the e brake was up all the way and it was. I had to put it in gear to hold it and chocked the tires just in case.
you normally park it in neutral?

Put it in 1st gear when it's off!
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:36 AM   #36
Shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600hp-lpe View Post
you normally park it in neutral?

Put it in 1st gear when it's off!

I normally park in gear, so does she. Just a brain fart by both of us.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:42 AM   #37
vincewalthers

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Aqua Blue Metallic
Over the past 6 years owning and driving manual cars, I've never had a problem leaving it in Neutral with the E-Brake. Same with my 2010 camaro... 0 problems using the ebrake and leaving it in neutral
vincewalthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:44 AM   #38
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
Having the tires locked in on snow or ice can cause it to slide if it looses grip and once it starts sliding you cant get it back. Leaving it in gear gives it a little play so if it starts to move the tires will rotate slightly and dig in and hold traction.
This makes no sense what so ever. If it's going to slide on ice being in gear and or having the e-brake on isn't going to matter. If your foot is on the brakes and the car continues to slide while trying to stop it's probably not a good idea to park there.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:51 AM   #39
Shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
This makes no sense what so ever. If it's going to slide on ice being in gear and or having the e-brake on isn't going to matter. If your foot is on the brakes and the car continues to slide while trying to stop it's probably not a good idea to park there.
Having the e brake off just gives it a little more grip, you want to set your e brake go right ahead but I guarantee you if you have 2 of the same cars parked side by side on the same conditions the one with the e brake set is going to slide first if its going to happen.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:52 AM   #40
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
Its a pretty week ebrake, you have to pull it all the way up to get it to hold. Other cars I've driven generally only required about a 60%-75% pull.
.. For some reason, you have to really crank it for it to hold ..

Crowley
Old 09-29-2010, 08:52 AM   #41
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
It should hold the car when you pull it until you meet resistance.. If you have to really pull hard on it the thing is not working right and should be adjusted.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:57 AM   #42
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
SHIFT Having the e brake off just gives it a little more grip, you want to set your e brake go right ahead but I guarantee you if you have 2 of the same cars parked side by side on the same conditions the one with the e brake set is going to slide first if its going to happen.
Not that I'm trying to attack you, but how exactly does not having the e-brake give you anymore grip?? Once your foot comes of the brake the car settles either on the gear you're in or on the e-brake. Once it's settled unless something fails it's not going to move. The only thing that's going to affect your grip is the condition of your tires.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote