Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #561
JR-Vette

Drives: 1999 500 HP Corvette
Totally agree,
Look at Non American car makers who want to sell cars here, to do so costs a ton of money getting the car passed through several federal and state testing requirements.
Once passed to be legal for public use on public roads ANY changes require the car to be retested. That is even tougher for engine calibrations as it now means full testing for not only federal but also states requirements.

Wireless is already occurring, GM since mid 1990s has been testing with states like Ca where as road work has been done wireless transponders have been installed.
Cars will have wireless routers and as car travels along these roads the transponders query the PCM to verify if the car is legal.
This also could be done via Onstar network and states like Ca already passed laws saying it is legal for them to use such systems to smog test and determine car has valid license and insurance.
Nameplates like GM want "pass through" as this removes dealer tech's as car entering a dealer lot would via wireless check and auto update software for any controller in car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdog View Post

Some of this might be addressed by what the EPA sight says in regards to OBDII:

"Can the OBD system be repaired, deactivated, or modified?
The rule of thumb when it comes to emissions-related vehicle repair is that any modification that changes the vehicle from a certified configuration to a non-certified configuration is considered tampering: this applies to both vehicle owners and repair facilities and is, therefore, a Federal offense. Replacing a catalyst with a straight pipe is one traditional example of tampering. Likewise, overriding the OBD system through the use of high-tech defeat devices or non-certified computer chips, for example, would also be considered tampering. The OBD system may, however, be repaired back to its original certified configuration with certified "performance chips" or appropriate aftermarket parts."

Note the importance of "certified" when i comes to aftermarket parts or programming in the Feds rule. It's important.

If ODIII with telemetry ever becomes mandated, the game will pretty much be over and the point moot.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #562
JR-Vette

Drives: 1999 500 HP Corvette
As a car owner playing tuner you have not the experience of the real world and the issues thousands of car owners have had.

The game is new cars come out like the gen 5 Camaro. Being new they do not have to get smog tested for good 4 years so they hack the hell out of the cars

Once close to smog dates these people dump the cars knowing they would not pass smog and unknown used car buyers have been hosed so badly they cannot get a title change or license tags

You think, you think but what those of us who tune 365 days a year for many years have heard all the cyberspace BS of " just do it" and the MMA will save your ass, but in the end it is smoke and mirrors as to claims of hiding that PCM has been hacked.

They all laugh until they get wacked and I see it all the time with customers who get shady tunes or worse car owners who think they are tuning pros as they putz around with cyberspace notions on how tuning should be done

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
It is one car... I can't leave my tune on my car,, and try to tune another compatiable vehicle.. It WILL NOT WORK.. (granite that superchips does make it available to tune two cars now, but that is a recent change, and I am all but certain that is an upcharge for that)

OTHERWISE--- if people could just pass around a community tuner, then they would sell only a tiny fraction of their units, because car clubs, and communities would only buy one and share....

You seem soo knowledgable about some things, and yet so clueless about others.. But I think that is your inability to be wrong about anything.. I have met your type in life many times. In the "real" world, face to face. I would call you out a few times, and then just nod and laugh... I am almost to the point of nodding and laughing with you...
Old 05-10-2010, 12:06 AM   #563
Mark H

Drives: 04 Denali
In calif the person selling the car has the responsibility to get it smogged. So a person can't just dump the car before the smog is due.

But Officer, I swear its just a vacuum leak.

Those red things? those are smog pumps!

2004 Sierra Denali ----- 2/4 drop
LSX 438 TWIN TURBO

LSX Block Video
Block number 00370. Build Date 04/17/2007
Old 05-10-2010, 09:25 AM   #564
Duke

Drives: 2010 Red SS/RS
Is the TCM included in the EPA emission control system? It would seem that the transmission's, A6, operation would not effect emissions. After all, emissions testing is done while the car is parked. Any mention of the TCM in the documents you guys have been quoting?
Old 05-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #565
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Ugh - in my area, emissions tests are run on chassis dynos...
Old 05-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #566
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Ugh - in my area, emissions tests are run on chassis dynos...
Unfortunately, this is probably where we are going to see more states going...it's a great revenue generator for the state as they can "catch" more offenders which could result in fines...or revenue... We'll just have to see.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #567
1fastdog

Drives: 2002 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
Is the TCM included in the EPA emission control system? It would seem that the transmission's, A6, operation would not effect emissions. After all, emissions testing is done while the car is parked. Any mention of the TCM in the documents you guys have been quoting?
Yes. Shift characteristics can have effects on emissions.

From the EPA regarding emissions warranties:

"The electronic emissions control unit or computer monitors
certain powertrain functions and controls various operating parameters
to help the vehicle run efficiently and with the lowest possible
emissions. Ignition, transmission function, air injection, exhaust
gas recirculation (EGR), engine operating temperature and fuel system
parameters are some of the systems monitored and/or controlled by the
electronic emissions control unit."

Last edited by 1fastdog; 05-11-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #568
Duke

I wish someone could eloborate on how "transmission function" effects emissions. Unless its the carbon emissions from the smoking tires.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #569
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
I wish someone could eloborate on how "transmission function" effects emissions. Unless its the carbon emissions from the smoking tires.
Changing shift points would change efficiency, thus affecting emissions.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #570
Duke

I can see changing shift points, but shift firmness from say decreased Torque Management still seems ok. Perhaps there is another EPA document detailing the transmission function that they control.

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:45 PM   #571
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR-Vette View Post
As a car owner playing tuner you have not the experience of the real world and the issues thousands of car owners have had.

The game is new cars come out like the gen 5 Camaro. Being new they do not have to get smog tested for good 4 years so they hack the hell out of the cars

Once close to smog dates these people dump the cars knowing they would not pass smog and unknown used car buyers have been hosed so badly they cannot get a title change or license tags

You think, you think but what those of us who tune 365 days a year for many years have heard all the cyberspace BS of " just do it" and the MMA will save your ass, but in the end it is smoke and mirrors as to claims of hiding that PCM has been hacked.

They all laugh until they get wacked and I see it all the time with customers who get shady tunes or worse car owners who think they are tuning pros as they putz around with cyberspace notions on how tuning should be done

I'm nodding and laughing...
Old 05-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #572
longbeachss2010

Drives: black SS
will tuners void warranty.

im thinking of buy a diablo tuner but i dont want void my warranty. i got flows and i got my cai being ship. i dont want to add to much aftermarket parts is my daily driver.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:50 PM   #573
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
This may help:

http://tinyurl.com/354yfzq

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
Old 05-15-2010, 08:55 PM   #574
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeachss2010 View Post
im thinking of buy a diablo tuner but i dont want void my warranty. i got flows and i got my cai being ship. i dont want to add to much aftermarket parts is my daily driver.
All the info you're looking for is in here.

Enjoy!

Closed Thread