Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #113
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpanda305x View Post
yeah thats gonna be a mission for me. only like 4 gas stations with e85 around here
Your best bet for high octane UNLEADED FUEL is to pick up race fuel CONCENTRATE... This is NOT the cheap octane booster stuff (that doesn't work) at the auto parts store... I know a few guys that swear by the Torco race fuel concentrate:

http://torcoracefuel.net/pro-accelerator.html
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #114
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpanda305x View Post
yeah thats gonna be a mission for me. only like 4 gas stations with e85 around here
Only 4?? lol.

I wish I had 4. I have 2 on my daily route. One near home and one near my job. One is charging close to 4 dollars per gallon and the other one is always cheaper than 87. The crazy thing is that they both get it from the same company.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #115
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
HWhat!!! $4/gal? that is insane! i just filled up for the first time this past year for under $50...E85 at $2.95 not that its any cheaper since its harder to keep my foot from burying the pedal every chance i get.

you don't need any "extra parts" for the ethanol tune, assuming you're already running Vince's tune and have the cables, its only $100 for the E85 tune. run your gas almost dry, add a couple gallons of E85 and put 5-10 miles on it. then load the E85 tune, burn that down to get the residual gas/ethanol mixture out, and then fill up with E85. its a little bit of work at first, but worth it.

not to mention, like previously stated, your engine will run hotter using a higher octane gas. some of the benefits include 1. engine runs cooler avoiding possible damage caused by pre-detonation. 2. great for higher compression engines where more power is able to be produced in comparison to gas...enter FI! but you'll see a drop in your MPG's as more fuel is needed to so there are some drawbacks to it also.

here is a blurb i pulled from the almighty WIKIpedia referencing E85 in comparison to its octane rating...take it for what it is...its wikipedia for godsake:

"If a retailer chooses to post octane, they should be aware that the often cited 105 octane is incorrect. This number was derived by using ethanol’s blending octane value in gasoline. This is not the proper way to calculate the octane of E85. Ethanol’s true octane value should be used to calculate E85’s octane value. This results in an octane range of 94-96 (R+M)/2. These calculations have been confirmed by actual-octane engine tests." [7]
Examples of this mis-citation can be found at the Iowa Renewable Fuels Association titled "E85 Facts"[8] which cites a range of 100-105, and a document at the Texas State Energy Conservation Office titled "Ethanol"[9], which cites a 113 rating."

thanks to jay, i've learned the importance of monitoring what is going on with your engine once you've strayed from your stock settings. just because you put a tune on it doesn't mean your good to go. two camaro's with the same mileage, same mods, same tune, aren't gonna run the exact same tune.

with that said, im currently awaiting an updated tune from vince for E85. my LTFT's were climbing into the 20-30's...highest i've seen it climb is 35 , triggering a CEL. once i get those numbers back to normal, marilyn will be back on the dyno.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #116
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Aaron, your LTFT is still climbing in the 20's? I thought vince took care of it. If you are still having fuel trim issues then that is crazy. Vince is back to work today so hopefully he can get the trims corrected soon.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #117
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Last time they started climbing (was on E85) I didn't hear back from Vince for a week, so I went back to 93 octane. Was still having issues with my LTFT's then too but those are straight now...so back to E85. Can't wait to get these resolved. I sent a data log off to Vince the other day and he said he would take a look at it...hopefully sooner than later.

Last edited by hapisok; 12-29-2011 at 06:32 PM.
hapisok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:03 PM   #118
xpanda305x
Banned

Drives: Dark Knight
NO UPDATES?
xpanda305x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:12 PM   #119
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

nothing yet. won't be till after Friday at the earliest.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #120
Twonz360

Drives: 2011 Black 1LT RS
Stupid question:

Can I still use my engine cover?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Mods:

Performance
Elite Engineering Catch Can, VMax CNC Ported Throttle Body, CAI Inc. Cold Air Intake, ARK N2 Catback Exhaust, Trifecta Tune, RX Ported Intake Manifold (Custom Paint Job), MACE 25mm Insulator, ARH Long Tube Hedders,
Misc.
Magnetic Oil Drain Plug, Royal Purple Oil, LED DRL's, Blacked Out Bow ties, Sound Deadening In Trunk, LED Interior & Trunk, AAC LED Side Markers
Coming Soon...
SS Rear Diffuser, JDP Motorsports RS Color Changing Halo Package, SS Front Bumper..... Cams.:slice: "I'm Killin' em"
Twonz360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #121
Macrackie

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS Stripper model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twonz360 View Post
Stupid question:

Can I still use my engine cover?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
I was just logging in to ask this same question. So no it wasn't a stupid question. Lol
Macrackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #122
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrackie View Post
I was just logging in to ask this same question. So no it wasn't a stupid question. Lol
Not a stupid question at all. I had plans for mine as well, they disappeared after about an hour...but worth it. Like others have done, you can powder coat your IM. But yeah, you lose that customization...sorry bro. But on the other hand...its a challenge to customize your IM.

Good luck, can't wait to see what you come up with.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #123
10RsCamaro
Slow v6

Drives: Automatic Automobile
Send a message via Skype™ to 10RsCamaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
I also wonder what happened to the vararam/insulator fit tester?? I guess it didn't go too well, but it wouldn't of been a surprise.

Aaron, can't wait to see the total number with e85 and the insulator

Don't worry about the plane gas LOL. Go with e85 if you want to go with higher octane gas.
10RsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #124
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
Not a stupid question at all. I had plans for mine as well, they disappeared after about an hour...but worth it. Like others have done, you can powder coat your IM. But yeah, you lose that customization...sorry bro. But on the other hand...its a challenge to customize your IM.

Good luck, can't wait to see what you come up with.
That reminds me- Bmore (Jay), is your IM back in use and is your paint holding up?
I've gotten some high temp primer/color/clear and had planned to paint when I had the IM off for insulator install.
Then I remembered we're talking about aluminum here- notoriously difficult to paint.
Any update on yours would be appreciated. Would suck if it peeled!
Thanks!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #125
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
That reminds me- Bmore (Jay), is your IM back in use and is your paint holding up?
I've gotten some high temp primer/color/clear and had planned to paint when I had the IM off for insulator install.
Then I remembered we're talking about aluminum here- notoriously difficult to paint.
Any update on yours would be appreciated. Would suck if it peeled!
Thanks!
Is holding up beautifully Just take some good prep work and make sure that you use high temp paint and clear if you want some shine, but with the 25mm insulator the IM never get hot or even warm to touch.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #126
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
Is holding up beautifully Just take some good prep work and make sure that you use high temp paint and clear if you want some shine, but with the 25mm insulator the IM never get hot or even warm to touch.

That shows how well this works. Touch the intake on a stock LLT after running and it is cooking, the insulator makes a tremendous difference in the heat soak. The cooler the intake air charge, the more room for oxygen molecues, the more fuel and the more power.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote