Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
spacecowby

Drives: 2010 black 2SS/RS
$7500 to spend

I keep going back and forth between N/A and FI. I would like to go FI for a couple different reasons but the more I read about them the more worried I get about something going wrong. I know that many people here have Maggies, KB's, Whipple and Vortech with no problems but it seems like there is so much more involved in it. So I was thinking instead of spending $7500 on a blower I could just build my motor. I already have a cam and LT's so I was thinking about heads and maybe a stroker kit. I know alot of people say don't stroke its not worth HP to dollar ratio like FI. But I was also thinking about "bulletproofing" (still not sure what this means) the engine while doing it. Sorry for the long and rambling post but just looking for suggestions on how to spend my $7500 staying N/A and any input from the Vendors.

Black cars are not hobbies, they are an obsession
spacecowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
xxlbeerz

Drives: 2010 Black on Black
FI, build the motor later unless you're trying to run huge hp right now.
xxlbeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
Prochargedchevyi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecowby View Post
I keep going back and forth between N/A and FI. I would like to go FI for a couple different reasons but the more I read about them the more worried I get about something going wrong. I know that many people here have Maggies, KB's, Whipple and Vortech with no problems but it seems like there is so much more involved in it. So I was thinking instead of spending $7500 on a blower I could just build my motor. I already have a cam and LT's so I was thinking about heads and maybe a stroker kit. I know alot of people say don't stroke its not worth HP to dollar ratio like FI. But I was also thinking about "bulletproofing" (still not sure what this means) the engine while doing it. Sorry for the long and rambling post but just looking for suggestions on how to spend my $7500 staying N/A and any input from the Vendors.

For $7500 I'd go with a forged 416, a 200 plate shot of nitrous with a nano kit, and a HD clutch. You'll still spend less than 7500 and the engine will be fortified as compared to just bolting on a F/I kit and hoping for the best with the stock rotating assembly.

With this combo you're looking at about 650-700rwhp with a good tune.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
spacecowby

Drives: 2010 black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prochargedchevyi View Post
For $7500 I'd go with a forged 416, a 200 plate shot of nitrous with a nano kit, and a HD clutch. You'll still spend less than 7500 and the engine will be fortified as compared to just bolting on a F/I kit and hoping for the best with the stock rotating assembly.

With this combo you're looking at about 650-700rwhp with a good tune.
Now this is what I'm thinking but I know nothing about it. Anyone care to elaborate? And do you have to go to a special shop like jannety, hennesy or one of the the guys for this?

Black cars are not hobbies, they are an obsession
spacecowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
I'd recommend going to Jannetty and telling him your overall goal; he'll figure out the right package to make that happen within your budget if possible.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #6
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Supercharger
Old 12-28-2010, 10:40 PM   #7
1BADI5
Colorado Owner

Drives: 2004 Colorado CC ZQ8, 1987 S-10
KB for sure that sound is pure sex!
1BADI5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:46 PM   #8
Big Rob

Drives: ????
Supercharger.....

We have been installing Maggie's for many years and have had no troubles as long as you don't add more boost. We are getting plenty of power with L/T's with Hi-flow cats, exhaust and a good tune. Don't get me wrong I have played with Nitrous and it is a lot of fun as well and can be reliable if installed correctly. The only problem is you should only run it for about 10 to 12 seconds at a time so you don't burn out solenoids. Then there is filling the bottle. It's not that much but sometimes a pain in the butt when you want to play and you are out of the "Sauce". Supercharger is ALWAYS there no matter what. Just my .02
Big Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:26 PM   #9
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
I'll send you a pm. We offer s/c's and forged engines, I'll explain the pro's and cons of FI on s stock short block to you.

GM doesn't do it, they built a special engine for the s/c and they recommend a forged piston on the LS9 s/c kit. Yes it can be done on a cast piston but it is not ideal. S/c's make a lot of money for shops selling and installing and tuning them. BUT there are two side to the FI coin they all like to gloss over.
I sell you forged bottom end and an s/c at $100 over cost if thats what you want but I wont recommend FI on a stock bottom end. We build proper precision race engines. At 7500 your 3k short of doing both..
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:42 PM   #10
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
This is just my take and I'm no expert by any means.

Go with a nice Stage II cam and a little head work. Get it to around 500 rwhp. Then upgrade your suspension like the craddle bushings and Trailing Arms. A set of gears and a set of drag radials on a second set of wheels and you should be able to have plenty of fun. You'll probably have a bit of money left over.

That combo should get you into the 11's which should be plenty good to have fun at the track with. On the street it should be controlable power. There was a video floating around of a 1000 hp Camaro (although I know you're not talking 1000 hp) and everytime he stepped into the gas it got all sideways. Not controllable or useable IMO.

To me all that HP doesn't do you any good if you can't get it to stick and go.

I would also recommend that you call Janetty and/or ADM performance and talk to them about what you have and what you are looking to do. Have them give you some recommendations.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:53 PM   #11
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
If that's what I had to spend and wanted complete reliability and power, I'd make a phone call to Eric at HKE directly and get yourself into a nice 418 or 434 better yet.

Spend the rest of the money on tires and suspension.....you'll need it.

That's coming from my personal "what would you do" perspective.

I'm sure everybody (vendors included) would have their own agendas as to what they think you need.

Keep us posted either way and best of luck in your endeavors!
Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:13 AM   #12
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Vortec makes some good power, and sounds VICIOUS

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:44 AM   #13
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post
If that's what I had to spend and wanted complete reliability and power, I'd make a phone call to Eric at HKE directly and get yourself into a nice 418 or 434 better yet.

Spend the rest of the money on tires and suspension.....you'll need it.

That's coming from my personal "what would you do" perspective.

I'm sure everybody (vendors included) would have their own agendas as to what they think you need.

Keep us posted either way and best of luck in your endeavors!
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Thats what we are here for. Erik and I work together to produce some of the best combinations money can buy. As a preferred vendor/ditributor/friend I am a direct link to HKE. Erik/HKE would actually prefer to have you contact me, I make his job 1000x easier and free him up to do the building, purchasing, research that keep us at the top of the game. I sponsor the forums such as this one and Corvette forum to get the good word out and provide people with accurate information on both sides of the coin. Without me, HKE is not known on this website or others for that matter. This is what I am here for.
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:03 AM   #14
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
I've got no problom with you CC...you've given me a lot of info...everyone should understand that the fun we have with modifying these cars is dependant on people in the performance industry paying their bills.
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote