Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 08-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #197
SSMOKINHOT
obseSSed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Thanks! This thread is exactly what I needed to install my lights. Trying to smush my body into the footwell was the hardest part of the gig!! LoL!! Can't imagine some of you bigger guys getting down in there!
SSMOKINHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:33 PM   #198
SSMOKINHOT
obseSSed

Here is the finished product

Old 08-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #199
epstein
Account Suspended

Drives: SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to epstein
Nice Job!.....and SHe turns wrenches....Im in Lust!
epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #200
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNo View Post
For non-RS, it looks like X4, position 1 and 2 (dark and light blue wires), but it looks like that is a PWM signal. For RS, it's X5. Low beam is 13 and hi is 18.
HAA Nice I was going to reply TonyNo is the man who would know which wire to use. Sure enough.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:10 PM   #201
TonyNo

Drives: 2016 2SS, SW
Nice job SSMOKINHOT!
Old 08-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #202
Bone
2SS RJT OWNER/OPERATOR

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMOKINHOT View Post
Thanks! This thread is exactly what I needed to install my lights. Trying to smush my body into the footwell was the hardest part of the gig!! LoL!! Can't imagine some of you bigger guys getting down in there!
Oh ya, gigiddy, gigiddy!
Old 08-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #203
SSMOKINHOT
obseSSed

LOL...thanks guys!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:17 PM   #204
Bistem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by epstein View Post
Nice Job!.....and SHe turns wrenches....Im in Lust!
Oh yea....I for SURE need one of those....and I'm not talking about the car or the lighting
Old 08-21-2010, 06:07 PM   #205
tonyfred

Drives: 2013 ZL1-Victory Red-Auto
I'm a big guy and I am having some trouble getting the tap on the dome light wire. Anyone know how the wiring module plugs into the harness? Can I pull it straight out to get to the gray wire or is there a tab or something that locks it in place? It sure would be easier if I can get the module hanging down to put the tap on.

tonyfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:18 PM   #206
TonyNo

Drives: 2016 2SS, SW
Hmm. That would make it easier. I thought about it, but, decided against it as I was too lazy to disconnect the battery just in case.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #207
MannyC

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Just finished the mod myself. Thanks TonyNo. Super Easy. Will post pics later.
MannyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #208
SSMOKINHOT
obseSSed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfred View Post
I'm a big guy and I am having some trouble getting the tap on the dome light wire. Anyone know how the wiring module plugs into the harness? Can I pull it straight out to get to the gray wire or is there a tab or something that locks it in place? It sure would be easier if I can get the module hanging down to put the tap on.

You can pull it straight out of the harness...I didn't use the tap...I spliced the wire (yes, I know, *gasp* )...but pulling it out of the harness gave me some more room to work with for sure. Then it simply plugs right back in when you are done.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:44 PM   #209
SSMOKINHOT
obseSSed

Oh, and, yes, I did disconnect the battery...my husband laughed at me too because the voltage/amps isaz so low...but hey, I'm not fond of getting shocked!
Old 08-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #210
skysharker1
Airborne Paratroopers!!!

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Convertible
Location: Mid-NJ.....13 Year Army Paratrooper. Death from Above!!!
Send a message via AIM to skysharker1 Send a message via Yahoo to skysharker1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNo View Post
I wanted to do this as cleanly as possible, so running a wire all the way from the dome light was right out. Let's dig in!

K9 is the BCM and X7 is the connector that has the dome light wire. K9 is just above the accelerator pedal and has 7 color-coded connectors on it. X7 is grey in color and so is the wire in position 1 (our target). I attached a t-tap for this connection. See first pic.

I mounted my light strips under the dash and oriented the wire-ends towards the console. You can pull back the sides of the console to give access to a nice channel. I taped the passenger side light wires to the end of a stick and used it to fish the wire to the driver's side. See second and third pic. Note the bolt with the yellow line by it in the third. This will be our grounding point.

I then spotted a slot that I pulled the driver's-side light wires through to better hide them. See the fourth pic.

I took the two black (negative) wires, cut them to a good length, stripped them, crimped on a spade/ring terminal, and attached it to that bolt mentioned earlier. See the fifth pic.

I attached the t-tap mating terminal to a fuse holder, connected this to the red (positive) wires, and plugged it in. I then tucked the wires in behind the console and generally spiffed up the wiring before I snapped the console side covers back into place.

All done! Enjoy your illuminated feet, as others have noted! See last pic.

Wow...alot of read. I'm sure you're tired of all these questions, just need a little clarification; planning on doing this soon. You connected your lights to the dome light, correct?? So your lights fade in/out with the dome light?
Now if I wanted them to be on only when the headlights are on, I would wire them to the headlight and panel dimmer switch, yes? Wire 3, 4? Where exactly can that connector be found?
Last question: If I wanted to alternate between the dome and headlight, I could just place a SPDT switch inline with the power, correct?

I've connected neon lights to my other vehicles in the past, but the wiring was so much easier to understand than the Camaro, and I really don't want to mess things up.

Thanks!!
skysharker1 is offline   Reply With Quote