Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-20-2010, 09:50 AM   #127
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Well if your looking at it that way then I would have to say the camaro isn't much better. I would trade my 2010 for a 69 any day of the week.
Well duh, who wouldn't trade for a real 69..... I think the 2010 Camaro's rear is alot better that the 74 through 92 versions, I never cared for the wrap around lights... also the later ones with the amber lens in them Yuk!
Old 07-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #128
chain1

Drives: 2011 Ford Mustang GT/CS 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by motor1 View Post
I am not from Colorado so I do not know what their statutes allow but I will say that in Virginia that type of stupidity behind the wheel is not tolerated or considered to be acceptable, especially when two people have to go to the hospital. This was a totally PREVENTABLE accident that occured when the idiot felt like the public street was the place to show off his car. I do not care if it was a Mustang or Camaro. In VIRGINIA this will get you jail time, whether someone was critically hurt or not. End of story.
This will ABSOLUTELY NOT get jail time. I'm not defending the idiot in the super snake but you don't get jail time for a Reckless Driving or Failure to Maintain Control violations. (Yes I live in VA). He WILL however be more than likely sued by the occupants of the other ford. The maximum allowed in these cases is 350k if I remember correctly. Most likely though it will be settled by his insurance company at much less than that and will be covered 100% by the insurance.
chain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #129
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
After reading the entire post, I was about to give the Mustang driver a break (compared to some of the lynching type mentality that was present in this thread)-- but if it is true that he was cocky, smirking, and didn't show signs of remorse, then I have no pity for him.

I've been there, I have made a mistake behind the wheel, lost control before, I have never injured another person, but I have made mistakes before... But when I read that this guy was cocky and bragging and so on and so forth. I think he needs a huge wake up call.

Jail time -- I doubt that very seriously.
Loss of license-- I doubt that (unless he has a record of this type of behavior) but being 50 years old, and assuming he has a fairly clean driving record, he will likely not get much more than a fine, and points.. Now I am sure his insurance will be paying the max on his policy, but that is about it.
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #130
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
After reading the entire post, I was about to give the Mustang driver a break (compared to some of the lynching type mentality that was present in this thread)-- but if it is true that he was cocky, smirking, and didn't show signs of remorse, then I have no pity for him.

I've been there, I have made a mistake behind the wheel, lost control before, I have never injured another person, but I have made mistakes before... But when I read that this guy was cocky and bragging and so on and so forth. I think he needs a huge wake up call.
I was thinking about the same thing but If he was cocky, smirking and bragging just after losing control and crashing his car, he was really more of an idiot than just a bad driver.. any normal person would have been trying to get out from in front of a bunch of Camaro owners as fast as he could and feel really embarrased about not being able to control his car...
Old 07-20-2010, 11:42 AM   #131
Patriot

Drives: 2011 LS3/RS on order... ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain1 View Post
... The maximum allowed in these cases is 350k if I remember correctly. Most likely though it will be settled by his insurance company at much less than that and will be covered 100% by the insurance.
Huh? What law is that? In Florida, the maximum allowed is whatever the idiot caused in pain, suffering and monetary loss. There is no limit. Why should there be? The two old folks were just driving along minding their own business.

But since his insurance has a limit, that will turn out to be the settled amount like you say.
Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #132
infam0uz

Drives: Future Owner
I know its wrong for me to say this..

but is the driver 2SSArmy? the one that totaled his benz..

a joke.
infam0uz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #133
chain1

Drives: 2011 Ford Mustang GT/CS 5.0
I was speaking about punitive damages in Virginia.

"Willful and wanton negligence; conscious disregard; reckless indifference; or being aware, of the probability of physical injury.
§ 8. 01-38. 1
Maximum cap of $ 350,000"

There are caps in both CO and FL as well.

In most states it also has to be proven that there was intention to cause injury.
chain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #134
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz_FL View Post
couldn't agree with you more mossman, I don't understand why so many people out there think that if your driving something other then what they drive, then your driving a piece of shit. I love my camaro but you know what, I would love to have a mustang and a challenger sitting in my drive also. Wish I could afford to have one of each.
I parked next to a new Challenger R/T last night at sticky fingers. It was orange with black stripes down the side, the old hemi style slashed stripes, looked really nice. Ended up talking to the guy for about 10 minutes last night when we were leaving, both admiring each others cars. Super nice guy, it's a shame more people can't be that way.
agreed - people on this forum cut each other's throats between American cars. I would hate to see what they say concerning Jap and Euro cars (both of which have cars I like alot) However, I am biased towards driving an American car because I like supporting our economy and supporting US workers (and Canadians-I know where the Camaro factory is), so I passed up on some foreign choices that I would like to drive...

EDIT: I dont like Toyota - just for reference

I also doubt this guy will get jail time whether I feel he should or shouldnt...too bad for him he wasn't driving a Toyota or he would have got off scott-free haha "uhhh, the pedal stuck and just took off on me.."

Last edited by stand-al0ne; 07-20-2010 at 01:29 PM.
stand-al0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:10 PM   #135
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
I have to thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelicsowner View Post
....The dude in the snake was probably 40-50 years old, older guy....and I dont believe the car was a dealership car....pretty sure it was his car.....
Thank you for making my day today.

this story is PRICELESS. i MIGHT have to get this story onto a mustang forum website --- actually I won't do that. I don't feel like getting murdered.

someone else can do it.

Last edited by 2001ragtop; 07-20-2010 at 01:25 PM.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #136
Gunmetal

Drives: Cyber Grey 1SS/RS w/Body Kit
lol, and I doubt he learned his lesson
Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #137
wangtangjf7

Drives: CGM LT/RS
What blows me away is that the guy wasnt even sorry. He should only be allowed to ride a bicycle. He doesnt deserve a car like that, even if it is from that other company.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:02 PM   #138
motor1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS/M6.....no longer
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain1 View Post
This will ABSOLUTELY NOT get jail time. I'm not defending the idiot in the super snake but you don't get jail time for a Reckless Driving or Failure to Maintain Control violations. (Yes I live in VA). He WILL however be more than likely sued by the occupants of the other ford. The maximum allowed in these cases is 350k if I remember correctly. Most likely though it will be settled by his insurance company at much less than that and will be covered 100% by the insurance.

Hitting Black ice and losing control, could not agree more. Being an idiot on a public street intentionally, could not disagree more. But hey maybe you have more experience in court than me..I will have to agree that even though he should get jail time he will not and this is why: If he can afford the car he will get an attorney to put on a 30 minute dog and pony show. He will definitely put on a show of remorse in court whether he means it or not. He will have taken a driver safety course, etc etc etc. This is what good money entitles you to. The average guy with a PD and below average record would in fact see at least a couple days to serve. In 46.2-816, Following too close cases, which 99% of most accidents fall under you are 100% correct but this is totally different. Now what could change things is witnesses who show up and testify to his demeanor after the crash, and the elderly people that he hit. Regardless, it is a preventable action and he should pay for that.

Last edited by motor1; 07-20-2010 at 03:45 PM.
motor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #139
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
... yeah, this totally makes Mustang drivers look better and more responsible than us. Totally.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:34 PM   #140
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangtangjf7 View Post
What blows me away is that the guy wasnt even sorry. He should only be allowed to ride a bicycle. He doesnt deserve a car like that, even if it is from that other company.
He sounds like the perfect example why I didnt like Mustangs back in the day - its the people, not the car, that give me connotative ideas towards the car.

This incident is what happens when you give idiots money (or credit...)