Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #43
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
well said
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:07 AM   #44
Grimmjow
6th Espada

Drives: 05 Mustang (Screaming Yellow)
Just read this. Applauds. I work by trains 5 days out of the week. Sad thing is.. the red light exiting where I work and I have never witnessed a single spot where people just blow by the red without reason. The light could have been red not 10 seconds later and people fly past it. I make a habit of sitting there a few moments, even when people are behind me, to not go on green until I personally look both ways and to make sure traffic is either stopped or in the process of stopping. It's absurd. I've tend to lay the horn down everytime someone does it. I had the green one time and I waited a brief moment and someone from the right took a left turn onto the road I was on.. knowing it was red for them. I Just kinda held my arms in the air with the "wtf are you doing?" look. People who were stopped on their side saw it and busted out laughing at me. Drivers amaze me.

Back to the train thing tho. Where I work, trains go in and out of there all the time. A coworker thought he could beat the train, even when it was going super slow, and got hit by it and now he's... well still works at our company but he's no longer completely there in the head. Coulda been avoided.
Grimmjow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #45
CamaroFreak_342

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3
Great post fbodfather.

You know it's unfortunate, working in law enforcement, just how many accidents I will respond to where the subjects involved state the cause for the accident was because they were doing everything in the world but driving when they are on an interstate or highway. Texting, their cell phone rang, playing with their IPOD, ect... it's just senseless. But we all are guilty of it. I'm just thankful that there are engineers out there developing things like Bluetooth and the USB connectivity for MP3 players so we can try to enjoy our toys a little more safely.
CamaroFreak_342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:17 PM   #46
dvnt88
Kickin' Assphalt

Drives: 1997 Z-28 30th Anniversary Ed.
Very well said, can't count the nuber of times I've seen and experienced people doing stupid shit and then cop an attitude when you call them on it.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #47
RoyalKev

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Awesome thread. I am only 19 years old and know 7 freinds that have died in accidents with vehicles and the accidents include drunk driving, no paying attention, street racing. Its just sad to here about young people loosing there lives.
RoyalKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #48
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
I spoke to my ten and twelve year old sons today about the article.
Can not begin to know what those families are going through.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #49
qbert48

Drives: 2SS SIM
well said fbod and with the proper amount of disdain

welcome home
1100 4-27-09
6000 6-27-09

yes i got to the dance late don't hate me
qbert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #50
fad1

Drives: Future 5th gen Camaro
Thanks Scott for that. You are right people are being lax in their driving. I hope we learn to obey the traffic laws. There needs to be a lot of reform when it comes to drivers driving their cars.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #51
geminidreams

Drives: ABM 2LT / RS
One thing sorry but what bugs me is a driver in front of me texting.. Don't they know we can tell they are not paying total attention???? I usually get in the next lane if I have a choice and then look at then and shake my head. Utah just passed a law forbidding Texting while driving but how are they really going to inforce it??
geminidreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #52
theoneriggs

Drives: 10 Challenger R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieNsky View Post
I spoke to my ten and twelve year old sons today about the article.

100% agree. I took this chance to sit down and speak with my 13 and 11 year olds about this. "choose your friends carefully" was the theme of the conversation. Along with rules are in place for a reason when it comes to driving make sure to obey them. 5 lives lost over 1 persons crap decision is frustrating to hear. I live about 15 miles away from this accident. I grieve for the families.
theoneriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #53
sabrescamaro

Drives: TB SS and temporarily 2LTRS VR
I couldn't agree more. Nothing pisses me off more than people that think they're too cool to follow the rules. Driving can be extremely useful and fun when people follow the rules, because when people can do that, there is little to worry about. The most sad thing about it is, it's almost expected to see someone breaking the law at every intersection, crosswalk, or stop sign you encounter -- it's an expectation, now a worry. I know that at every major intersection with a stop light, I see 5+ cars flying through the street perpendicular to me when I have a green light. People no longer stop at right on reds. People think they can operate without blinkers.

I'm not saying I'm a perfect driver -- in fact, I can't legally drive --, but I'll promise to everyone on the board that I will never let my driving become this 'lax. Sure, everybody makes mistakes, which can be a little worry, and I'm sure I'll make mistakes when I drive, but I won't intentionally make mistakes that are intentionally breaking the law, putting other peoples' cars at risk (as well as my own), and other peoples' lives at risk (as well as my own).
Driving is something that should be taken seriously, and never taken for granted. I'm thankful that you made a post like this, and I just wish it could touch most of the world. (P.S. It seems like the worst drivers are always in Asian cars. It's a very noticeable trend.)
sabrescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #54
gazer
drove this one

Drives: Family van OLDS Silhouette
AMEN
gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #55
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
Onced stopped a speeding teenager in my neighborhood. He had quite a mouth and it was every thing I had to not remove him from the car. Neighbor girl went to school with him and got me his home number. He'd already told mommy how a big meany yelled at him. She informed me of two facts. Her son doesn't speed and it would me impossible for him to hit a child because he had taken drivers ed. I took drivers ed to and once hit a young girl. Worst feeling of my life. She was ok and I was doing nothing wrong but when I saw her fly over my windshield I almost puked. Anyway I ended up telling the mother that he was welcome on my street if he obeyed the law but if he hit one of my kids driving like an idiot that she would spend the rest of her life not ever knowing what he went through in his final hours. She said she was calling the cops so I gave her my address. Never saw the cops or that kid again. Why do todays parents think a fellow adult would waste time making up stories about their angels?
Old 07-11-2009, 05:17 PM   #56
sabrescamaro

Drives: TB SS and temporarily 2LTRS VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
Onced stopped a speeding teenager in my neighborhood. He had quite a mouth and it was every thing I had to not remove him from the car. Neighbor girl went to school with him and got me his home number. He'd already told mommy how a big meany yelled at him. She informed me of two facts. Her son doesn't speed and it would me impossible for him to hit a child because he had taken drivers ed. I took drivers ed to and once hit a young girl. Worst feeling of my life. She was ok and I was doing nothing wrong but when I saw her fly over my windshield I almost puked. Anyway I ended up telling the mother that he was welcome on my street if he obeyed the law but if he hit one of my kids driving like an idiot that she would spend the rest of her life not ever knowing what he went through in his final hours. She said she was calling the cops so I gave her my address. Never saw the cops or that kid again. Why do todays parents think a fellow adult would waste time making up stories about their angels?
Seriously. I hate how they think that their kids can do no wrong... And the drivers ed comment?! After my junior year in high school, I'll have been in four AP history courses, and I'm still wrong about a lot of historic facts. Your education means nothing if you don't apply it, and he clearly wasn't. I stop people speeding on my street -- it's a curvy, long road with little traffic, and no stops... --, but since I'm younger than everyone I stop, they just get pissed and go back to their speeding . Well, I'll be one to thank you for actually caring. Sorry you had to go through hitting someone :( . I've been his a few times when I'm on my bike, and since the worst I've gotten is broken bikes and a few broken bones, I feel worse for the drivers than I do for myself.
sabrescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote