Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 10-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Classic Chevy in Grapevine - a tale of two departments

*couldn't think of a terribly witty title, so that's the best you guys get

Going to give you the tl;dr version first here and you can decide if you want to read further:
Buy from Eric, don't go there if you think the body/paint shop will be involved.

There have been a few threads talking about the paint discrepancies between the plastic and sheet metal of the car. This isn't about the angles with the quarter panels as I know someone is going to attempt to know what they're talking about and correlate the two. My fuel door along with front and rear bumpers had a piss-yellow tinge that was noticeable to the point where I had people asking about it. I finally got fed up and decided to do something about it.

Went to Classic, talked with their shop and was told that they probably couldn't do any better and it wasn't going to be covered by warranty - needless to say I wasn't happy about this. Talked to a service manager and got the same answer. Spent about a month with the GM Rep resulting in her telling me no matter who she talked to there is nothing that can be done about despite it being a "known issue" and that my "dissatisfaction will be noted." I'm REALLY fed up at this point and call Eric to let him know what's been going on with the full intention of looking for a trade in of some shape/form/fashion.

Eric told me that he would call me back in 5 minutes after I got done with my GM Rep story. He says to come in first thing tomorrow to talk with the service director. Great guy. First the he says after the introductions is "Yep, you have a two tone car alright. What do you want done to it?" I'm amazed honestly at this point. Everything is worked out and plans are set so the process begins.

I come to pick up the car at the end of the week after dropping it off on a Monday and start to drive it off the lot. I decide to inspect it for grins. I find over 30 (THIRTY) paint defects. Anything from dust under the clear coat, "fisheyes" as someone called another type of defect, full chip missing from a rear fender, to what looked like was a screw head pushing up the plastic on the front bumper even though nothing was underneath it. I take it back to them and they note that there are issues and I'm to come back in a few weeks and they'll address the "trash" they need to buff out.
This week I dropped the car off to have these taken care of and got it back today. The bump is still there, trash is under the clear coat, and even in the actual white paint has flaws. I understand that it's hard to get a 'perfect' paint job don't get me wrong. The second time though, I shouldn't have to find these problems as they should have been noticed since I came in with this as the issue in the first place.

I will say that the paint color (as there was the issue with discoloration remember) is VERY close to the sheet metal and I'm extremely happy with that. The quality of the work however is another story. I will try to get some pictures going but as anyone will know it'll be hard to see anything unless I can get them just perfect.

Again - buy from Eric at Classic as he's a great person to deal with (heck it's not even like you're dealing as you're just hanging out talking with a fellow car enthusiast). Be prepared for something else though if you're needing to deal with their body/paint shop.
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
Camaro21

Drives: SOLD - 2013 M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTSquared
Again - buy from Eric at Classic as he's a great person to deal with (heck it's not even like you're dealing as you're just hanging out talking with a fellow car enthusiast).
Camaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote