Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
AlohaBR

Drives: Camaros...is there anything else?
20,000 mile report...

Yes, that is correct, 20,000 miles on my DD Camaro.
Just wanted to report on my experience with my car since I picked it up on August 23rd 2010.
A little background....Bought this car as a daily driver to replace my work vehicle that only got 12-14 mpg, it also was picked to kinda replace my very 1st Camaro, a 1967 6cyl, silver in color.
The objective was to have a dd that would save money in gas and be fun and had to be rear wheel drive (never owned fwd vehicle). I have also only owned only 2 non V8 vehicles, my 67 and a 1980 Chevette (1st NEW car, couldn't afford the Z28!).
Bought the LS model after much deliberation on all the new fancy things you can get in the modern vehicle and decided I really didn't need any of them. I am semi simple in my ways and having cruise control, power windows, door locks, am/fm/disc player, ac, what else do I really need!
Okay, the car.....Unbelievable! That was my first words when I drove it on the back roads where I live.
Exterior...Just an awesome looking car, in any of the colors. Great lines, hints of the 1st gen yet modern. Fit and finish, it is not a 200k show car but after weeks of hand cleaning with spray wash, I did not find a bad spot anywhere and have no issues.
Interior..Ordered black cloth and it has gray inserts, looks good. For a basic car again no complaints. Sitting in the seats for as long as I do, they are more comfortable that my old 4th gen (1997) but prefer my Recaro seats in my other Camaros. The big blank spot people complain about...really? Have you looked at other gen Camaros? Other vehicles...big blank spots in front of the passenger! Gauge position personally ok, but would like a little lower so when the steering wheel is pulled down to the lower position I could see the upper end of the gauges and see the turn signals/bright beam indicator.
I don't usually have a passenger with me but my wife has not complained about the seat height of the passenger seat and the couple of times I have ridden there, I didn't have an issue.
The ride...Remember mine is a daily driver, probably will never go to the dragstrip, may go to a road course to try. My daily commute is 18 miles back roads, depending on which way I go, I may have as little as 3 stop signs or up to 5 traffic lights, then I am on a freeway for 38 miles and 1-1/2 miles of surface street.
Very comfortable (except for the above mentioned seats), the seats feel like something is poking my spine at times. Foot room good, everything is within reach, handling in the curves of the back roads...very impressed. Would put it up against my other Camaros that have suspension work done to them.
Have driven from lower Michigan to upper Michigan in it and from Michigan to D.C. Enjoyable and comfortable.
Power...Plenty for a daily driver and will accelerate on the highway to put those pesky Mustangs behind you. Would I like a V8, sure, did I need one..no, but I am sure the convertible my wife and I will be getting for our anniversary will be a V8.
Luggage...trunk is a lot bigger than it looks! Have carried all luggage in it with no problems, have put a bicycle in it also, with wheels off and back seat down. Now have a trailer hitch for the bike rack, to carry more than 1.

Maintenance...Only have had regular oil changes so far and no mechanical problems.

Overall...If you are thinking about this car for a daily driver...HURRY up and buy one! You will have a smile on your face every time you get out of it and every time you walk up to it, looking at that awesome front fascia!

To the design team.....you nailed it! Congrats on bring back a great iconic name and bridging the gap between old school and modern.

To the Oshawa plant...congrats on getting to do this awesome vehicle and for taking the pride in doing it right!

I am sure I left stuff out, but I do not really type this much, but thought that others would want to know about this new Camaro in a non published way and one that gets driven every day.
Hope it helps.
AlohaBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
WOW , 20K in 7 months that's what we call a DD , well done and no problems at all , nice !
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
Morepwr
woohoo

Drives: Silverado, 70cutlass, 57chevy&more
That was a good read. Sounds like an honest review of the car after being put through the paces as a daily driver. I have seriously considered an LS for just those reasons you mentioned. All my cars and trucks are V8's but the gas to feed them gets tiresome. I like the idea of a "roadtrip" car like the LS.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
AlohaBR

Don't thank me, thank GM, Chevrolet and the guys/gals in Oshawa. I just get to enjoy the fruits of their labor!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
AlohaBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morepwr View Post
That was a good read. Sounds like an honest review of the car after being put through the paces as a daily driver. I have seriously considered an LS for just those reasons you mentioned. All my cars and trucks are V8's but the gas to feed them gets tiresome. I like the idea of a "roadtrip" car like the LS.
The savings in gas is making the car payment, so no real change in finances.
Did put a good size deposit down though.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Great write up. I do love my lt as a daily driver and no problems either in 12,300 miles!
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
PhillyC

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS SW/IOM Stripes
Thanks for that report. I'm in the market for a new Camaro and it will be a daily driver for me. Your report has alleviated some of the fears I was having: comfort, reliability, etc. We all know this is an awesome looking muscle car but I was wondering how it would work as a primary vehicle everyday. Also this will be the first American car I'll own since my '69 Chevelle that was handed down to me from my Dad's uncle. I've mainly stuck with Honda's and Toyota's for their reliability and hope the Chevy will be as reliable.
PhillyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
floyd haughton

Drives: 2010victoryred2lt
great read ive had mine since 1st wk of june 2010 no issues w/9097 miles and a dd
floyd haughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #9
AlohaBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbee View Post
Great write up. I do love my lt as a daily driver and no problems either in 12,300 miles!

Thanks, glad to see others enjoying it. Nice upgrades too.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
RSokie
Proud owner of Litho #195

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS
Great job it is good to see someone actually drive there car instead of it just sitting in a garage....kuddos to you!
RSokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #11
AlohaBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyC View Post
Thanks for that report. I'm in the market for a new Camaro and it will be a daily driver for me. Your report has alleviated some of the fears I was having: comfort, reliability, etc. We all know this is an awesome looking muscle car but I was wondering how it would work as a primary vehicle everyday. Also this will be the first American car I'll own since my '69 Chevelle that was handed down to me from my Dad's uncle. I've mainly stuck with Honda's and Toyota's for their reliability and hope the Chevy will be as reliable.
Not sure which Honda or Toyota you had but I have been impressed with the mileage of this V6, I am getting consistent 25-27 mpg, really depends on the temp and my right foot, lol.
My last 3 dd were vans for work and logged 100k-266k, the later is still being used on occasion when needed.
Have had a high of 35 mpg on a trip back from upper Michigan, but was only doing 53-57mph.

Just follow the maintenance schedule and I think you will really enjoy it!
Old 03-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #12
AlohaBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd haughton View Post
great read ive had mine since 1st wk of june 2010 no issues w/9097 miles and a dd

Thanks, and glad you are enjoying yours also!
Old 03-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #13
Ralph8

Drives: 88 Camaro SC, 2010 2LT
Got mine in May 2009 and is a DD except in VERY heavy snow and have had no problems or complaints. Have 8900 miles on it.
Ralph8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #14
P3SAR
Waiting to Drive

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS IBM w/SIM
great write up...thanks for all the info