Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Question JL Audio xd400/4 settings

Hopefully, I'll get a better answer here. Here are some pictures of the settings on my amp:

Anybody that knows about audio...do you guys have any suggestions or recommendations or if I should change these settings? I think it was mentioned that the input sensitivity settings do not have to be turned up that much at all. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
bowtye

Drives: 2011 iom ss/rs convertable
ya hp side should be up above ya low side turn the hp side to about 120.make ur ya set.depends what are u runnin the amp too
bowtye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Okay, so I should turn the Filter Freq for the HPF to be above the LPF...the amp is powering the front and rear speakers. Ch 1and2 are the fronts and channel 3and4 are the rears
Old 04-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
Foreverman

Drives: 1SS-RS
What are your speakers?
Foreverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I believe they are the OEM BA speakers.

I'm did the same setup....just adding the JL amp in place of the factory BA amp. I'm going to try to get out in the garage and take some pics of mine as well. I'm curious on what others think the settings should be.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

What caverman said. The stock BA speakers
Old 04-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #7
caverman

Here is the setup from the stereo shop I went to. Even though this sounded good I didn’t noticed that the rear channel had the gain set to 0. I double checked it and it was no gain at all. Also notice there are no filters on either channel.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 04-20-2011, 10:49 PM   #8
caverman

I took your settings and gave them a try. I think in general they were a lot better. I did end up making a couple tweaks that I think worked out great for my taste.

First off, setting the rear channel to LP did give it more bass….but it was too much for me and it took away all the Mids and Highs from the rear. All I could hear was the lows. Makes sense because the Low Pass filter would only send it the lows.

I then flipped the rear to HP and it really woke up the rear sound vs what it was with the LP on.

The front seemed a little intense for me at your gain setting so I backed it off. I ended up with about what the guy at my stereo store used. On the rear I left it at about what you had for the gain level.

I then tweaked on the Treble, Mid, Bass, Fader settings and I feel like I got a very good setting for me. Obviously everyone is going to be a little different in their taste though and depending on the song I would have to lower or increase either the bass or treble by one.

After getting the settings where I liked them I decided that I would see what it would sound like with the filters off. I couldn’t tell a difference at all with either channel’s filter being set to Off or to HP. I ended up leaving them off.

Here are my settings I ended up with in the radio. Everyone needs to remember that each input has their own settings in the radio. That means FM has it’s setting, CD has it’s settings, USB its own settings, etc.

Treble: 9
Mid: 7
Bass: 8
Fader: Front 6
Balance: 0

I could probably increase the rear gain a little and then move the Fader setting closer to the 0 mark but I’m pretty happy with it at the moment. It’s getting late and I didn’t want to goof things up.

If any true audiophile guys want to give any suggestions on these settings, I’m all ears. I’ll take in any comment and try some more tweaking later.
I will say that this JL amp in place of the BA amp makes a world of difference IMO. Everyone should at least change up the amp.
Attached Images

Build Journal
Old 04-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Thanks for the feedback, caverman! I'm gonna set some time aside this weekend and see if I can tweak the settings once again.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
Camaroshark

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT, 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
Thanks for the feedback, caverman! I'm gonna set some time aside this weekend and see if I can tweak the settings once again.
Why wouldn't you leave the radio settings at:

Treble: 0
Bass: 0
Mid: -1

And then let the crossovers on the amp do the work. It seems like you're turning the gains up on the radio rather than on the amp. I'd rather send a flat signal to the amp and have the amp gains crank the power of the signal and let the crossovers filter the signals.

Is my logic flawed here?

Julio
Old 07-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #11
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Agree with Julio, set it pretty flat and let the amp do the work. Also, the settings are very diff if you add a sub.....then. Both 1,2,3 and 4 are HP and about a 120 crossover on both. Sub thump sells an inline harness for the back 6x9’s the combines the MID's and highs for fuller sound as the 400 processes them differently.

Great amp...world of diff.....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #12
Camaroshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Agree with Julio, set it pretty flat and let the amp do the work. Also, the settings are very diff if you add a sub.....then. Both 1,2,3 and 4 are HP and about a 120 crossover on both. Sub thump sells an inline harness for the back 6x9’s the combines the MID's and highs for fuller sound as the 400 processes them differently.

Great amp...world of diff.....
Yep. I bought the amp (JL XD 400) a few days ago and the ******** FARK kit came in last week. I already have a ******** stealth woofer kit running the Kicker 400 amp with a single 12" sub..

I'm likely going to cross over at 80 to start and see how that sounds using the hp filter. Of course the pre outs are off of 1 and 2 on this amp.

My radio is set at 0 treble, 0 bass, and -1 mids... keeping the signal flat.

I will likely tweak the gains on the amp as I discussed above. I'll post as to how it sounds after it's done. This is likely a Friday project for me. I doubt I'd tackle this on the 4th of July. The kids (big and little) want to see Despicable Me 2. LOL

Julio
Old 07-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #13
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I wrote a friend today that owns a camaro and the Xd400. He has installed many - he wrote back:

I would HP the fronts at 60 or 80 and LP the rears around 70. But if you have a separate amp'd sub, then HP the rear as well. This will give you a little overlap between the 6x9s and the sub and will ensure the midrange is reinforced. Your ears will ultimately tell you more than anything because you can start to hear distortion on low notes. That is the key to raise the cutoff.

I have done this and it sounds good to me. I will play with the cutoffs this weekend.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #14
Camaroshark

It's done boys and girls. This mod really wakes up the factory speakers. You can get far more clarity out of the system. Gains are set at about 25% and I can't turn it up past 25 to 30 without some pain... It's fantastic....

Steve: thanks for a fantastic product.

JL: Thanks for making a Fantastic amp!

Thanks to all of you on here for your assistance and tips...