Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-03-2011, 12:45 AM   #1
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
MIT vs Hurst shifter

Want to replace the shifter to a shorter throw shifter however I'd like to do something different than everyone else who is in most cases installing the Hurst shifter, and therefore thinking the MTI may be a good candidate for a one piece solution with the stock knob or I may decide to get a custom knob with matching internal colour of the vehicle seats for example.

Has anyone used the MTI shifter? How do you like it? Is it very stiff and how much reduction in shift?

I've seen and drove with the Hurst and it seems to be a bit loose or wobble a bit, I think newer shipments are coming with rubber spacers to alleviate the wobble feeling.

Any feedback on Hurst or MTI much appreciated.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:19 AM   #2
LightningSS

Drives: WAS '10 SS IBM, NOW '14 BRM ZL1
I'm very happy with the MTI. Solid feel, good throw. Not to short, or notchy. Mod not too difficult, although I didn't care to attempt to replace the two bushings at the front. I saw it on sale somewhere for $349 recently which is a first. Always been $389 from day one.
LightningSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:32 AM   #3
michael's maro
RAM'S CAMARO

Drives: 2010 camaro ss 2015 Z-28
I've had my MTI RACING shifter in my car for over 2 years now, it's a great product.
No raddling what so ever, 1 of the best products on the market.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:13 AM   #4
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Very happy with my MTI Shifter. Heck, there is a video on youtube where someone switch from a hurst to MTI. Here is my youtube video of my shifter though:
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
subzero05
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 tbd
there is a reason why so many are installing the Hurst. Either shifter is a big improvement over stock and makes a great update. And yes, the hurst shifter does come with isolators to use if you choose however they are not required.
subzero05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
No comparison, MTI shifter wins hands down. If you have any engineering sense at all it is obvious the MTI shifter is a better designed product. 1.5 years and going strong on mine, no rattling, no slop and perfect feel. You get what you pay for.
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers, rotors & pads, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, rear cradle & diff bushes, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR5 timing chain, LS6 damper, CAI Cold Air Intake, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 whls, 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, 2011 Convertible spoiler, 1LE front spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, wrapped console & Grant steering wheel.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
Trevorw24
Black Ma6ic

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS M6
Never tried the MTI, but the Hurst definitely a good buy IMO. The throws are positive and solid. The distance of the throws is cut a lot. However, there is some rattle above 5.5K RPM, and the shifter is a bit high for some. I love my set up and could never have driven with the stock shifter. I'll have to try MTI in the future. I got my Hurst for $319 shipped.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
MTI Racing

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
From day one, the MTI Racing Shifter was thoroughly engineered to have the BEST FEEL on the market.

The market is flooded with shifters that feel "just like" the original shifter from 40 years ago. That may seem nostalgic, but it feels like a toilet plunger submerged in a bucket filled with rocks.

We designed the MTI Shifter to have approximately a 24% shorter throw without adding any effort to move the stick. Anything more than this is diminishing returns. No internal bias springs, no stiffness. Pure, precise shifting with a short throw. We utilized premium materials for added strength and vibration dampening. Additionally, roller bearings are used at the pivot pin for smooth lever action. We even included high-impact/low-friction delrin bushings to replace the inadequate rubber bushings in the factory housing legs. New Stainless Steel shifter stick, roller bearings, pins, bushings and all other parts are included with instructions.

Even after 2 years on the market, the MTI Racing shifter still holds the best feel on the market today. No notchiness, no stiff action. Just quick, precise gear engagements that make a WORLD of difference.

It is standard equipment on some "tuner" Camaro packages for these reasons.
It is also chosen by car builders of professional race teams for the quick, precise action.

You can find more information HERE:
http://www.mtiracing.com/Purchase/Ne...Camaro-V8.html

You can call us if you have any questions.
Hope that helps!

MTI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:43 AM   #9
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorw24 View Post
Never tried the MTI, but the Hurst definitely a good buy IMO. The throws are positive and solid. The distance of the throws is cut a lot. However, there is some rattle above 5.5K RPM, and the shifter is a bit high for some. I love my set up and could never have driven with the stock shifter. I'll have to try MTI in the future. I got my Hurst for $319 shipped.
Yeah. I think that's the reason why they are now shipping the shifter with isolators (rubber spacers).
I like the look and feel of this shifter (chrome rod), and would be cool with interior orange knob if I could get one, also I like the fact you can switch back to stock knob if you want. But, I don't like the fact that it's not a true one piece shifter replacement, and really just upgrades a few components of the stock shifter to make it a shorter throw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI Racing View Post
From day one, the MTI Racing Shifter was thoroughly engineered to have the BEST FEEL on the market.

The market is flooded with shifters that feel "just like" the original shifter from 40 years ago. That may seem nostalgic, but it feels like a toilet plunger submerged in a bucket filled with rocks.

We designed the MTI Shifter to have approximately a 24% shorter throw without adding any effort to move the stick. Anything more than this is diminishing returns. No internal bias springs, no stiffness. Pure, precise shifting with a short throw. We utilized premium materials for added strength and vibration dampening. Additionally, roller bearings are used at the pivot pin for smooth lever action. We even included high-impact/low-friction delrin bushings to replace the inadequate rubber bushings in the factory housing legs. New Stainless Steel shifter stick, roller bearings, pins, bushings and all other parts are included with instructions.

Even after 2 years on the market, the MTI Racing shifter still holds the best feel on the market today. No notchiness, no stiff action. Just quick, precise gear engagements that make a WORLD of difference.

It is standard equipment on some "tuner" Camaro packages for these reasons.
It is also chosen by car builders of professional race teams for the quick, precise action.

You can find more information HERE:
http://www.mtiracing.com/Purchase/New-2010-2011-Camaro/New-2010-2011-Camaro-Transmission-Driveline-Parts/MTI-Racing-shifter-for-2010-Camaro-V8.html

You can call us if you have any questions.
Hope that helps!

Seems like there are two options; One can use stock knob, and the other MTI option can use a que ball or other MTI knob. Basically, you choose one option or the other. Am, I understanding this correctly?
Old 05-03-2011, 11:06 AM   #10
subzero05
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by flht99b View Post
No comparison, MTI shifter wins hands down. If you have any engineering sense at all it is obvious the MTI shifter is a better designed product. 1.5 years and going strong on mine, no rattling, no slop and perfect feel. You get what you pay for.
Ed M.
hey, to each his own. If you like the Hurst, buy the Hurst. If you like the MTI or the MGW, buy that one. opinions are just that..opinions.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #11
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero05 View Post
hey, to each his own. If you like the Hurst, buy the Hurst. If you like the MTI or the MGW, buy that one. opinions are just that..opinions.
Those opinions help some people make the "right" decisions. I don't want to purchase something simply to find out I don't like it. I hear good things about all 3 of these shifters, but there are pros / cons to each so trying to get feedback from the people that actually own them.
I already own a Hurst shifter, so doesn't really matter just trying to decide if I want the MTI instead.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #12
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
I lover my LSR Tri ax shifter. It is adjustable from 20%-33% and the knob sits nice and low. The Hurst and the MTI top parts are both isolated from the bottom part of the shifter so it doesn't feel as connected as I would like. The LSR is solid mounted so it feels better IMO. Plus it kills everyone else in the cost department at under $140 shipped!
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #13
subzero05
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
Those opinions help some people make the "right" decisions. I don't want to purchase something simply to find out I don't like it. I hear good things about all 3 of these shifters, but there are pros / cons to each so trying to get feedback from the people that actually own them.
I already own a Hurst shifter, so doesn't really matter just trying to decide if I want the MTI instead.
ultimately this could be an endless debate. its all subjective really at the end of the day. Rather than swapping out the Hurst. to me I would put that $ toward some other mods. But thats "my opinion"
Old 05-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #14
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero05 View Post
ultimately this could be an endless debate. its all subjective really at the end of the day. Rather than swapping out the Hurst. to me I would put that $ toward some other mods. But thats "my opinion"
It's not installed yet, so that's why I'm asking. Don't want to install it and see it flip / flopping around like I've heard by a few folks. So, wondering if it makes more sense to go with a rod replacement like MTI or a whole shifter replacement like MGW.
There are a few things besides the longer shifts on the OEM shifter that I don't like. One is the grinding between 2 and 3rd., so based on the feedback trying to determine if any of the shifters will get rid of that grinding, and provide a smoother shorter shift.
Lot's of folks seem to like MTI and MGW, seems like Barton and Hurst are just parts, where MTI and MGW get closer to the actual shifting mechanisms closer to the tranny, and that may make a bigger difference than simply shortening the shift.