Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-08-2011, 01:10 AM   #1
TMoneySS

Drives: 2007 Shelby GT500
JRE Posi Mod Questions!

Hey I had a few questions on this. Can I do just the posi mod? Do I need a tune if I dont replace the gears? Will this affect warranty? These might be stupid questions but i want to be informed as well as possible. Any help on the subject would be great! Thanks!

TMoneySS (Taylor)

P.S.
Yes i did but didnt find the answers i was looking for!
TMoneySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #2
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMoneySS View Post
Hey I had a few questions on this. Can I do just the posi mod? Do I need a tune if I dont replace the gears? Will this affect warranty? These might be stupid questions but i want to be informed as well as possible. Any help on the subject would be great! Thanks!

TMoneySS (Taylor)

P.S.

Can you just do the posi mod? Are you asking if you can add this to the stock gears? If so, than yes.

You will NOT need a tune if you don't replace the gears.

Technically, yes, you will have voided some portion of the warranty but the chance of them actually seeing this done is very slim. Most likely you will be fine.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
kevin1106

Drives: 2015 ZO6 3LZ Stage 2 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Can you just do the posi mod? Are you asking if you can add this to the stock gears? If so, than yes.

You will NOT need a tune if you don't replace the gears.

Technically, yes, you will have voided some portion of the warranty but the chance of them actually seeing this done is very slim. Most likely you will be fine.
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
StreetStrip
Tyranny is Closing In

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:

TMoneySS (Taylor)

P.S.

Yes, it's an easy install and the instructions are simple.

No you will not need a tune.

If you're not going yo change the gears while you're in there, BE SURE TO MARK THE RING AND PINION such that when you place the differential back into the case, the teeth mesh/mate together as they were originally. If you don't do this, there is a chance you could end up with a whining rear end.
StreetStrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
TMoneySS

Drives: 2007 Shelby GT500
Thanks guys! i will probably have a speed shop do the install while they are doing my bushing etc. Also what about the JRE billet caps, any opinions on those? Also what does this mod all entail doing?

Last edited by TMoneySS; 05-08-2011 at 05:53 PM.
TMoneySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
StreetStrip
Tyranny is Closing In

Quote:
Thanks guys! i will probably have a speed shop do the install while they are doing my bushing etc. Also what about the JRE billet caps, any opinions on those? Also what does this mod all entail doing?
Personally I don't think the billet caps offer much additional strength.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
Capthowdy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to Capthowdy
I did the caps and the stock ones are bad for the flexing that causes a lot of people blowing up gears..the billet caps fix this problem...
Old 05-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #8
StreetStrip
Tyranny is Closing In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthowdy View Post
I did the caps and the stock ones are bad for the flexing that causes a lot of people blowing up gears..the billet caps fix this problem...
There's a guy here that shredded his 3.73 gears and he had the billet caps. They do not solve that problem, in fact, if they're not machined properly they can exacerbate it.

If the carrier is shimmed correctly, installed using a case spreader, and the cap bolts are installed with loctite and torqued to spec, the billet caps are unnecessary IMO.