Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-16-2011, 07:23 AM   #1
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
matte black paint job

so I've already seen a few camaros with the flat black paint job...one with the vinyl wrap and think it really makes the camaro look deadly. I've never had a matte paint job and was wondering if anybody who has could chime in on their experience and if it was worth it. I've heard that with a satin clear coat you can still wax and polish it like any other paint job. any recommendations are welcome.

thanks
Old 09-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

bump
Old 09-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
so I've already seen a few camaros with the flat black paint job...one with the vinyl wrap and think it really makes the camaro look deadly. I've never had a matte paint job and was wondering if anybody who has could chime in on their experience and if it was worth it. I've heard that with a satin clear coat you can still wax and polish it like any other paint job. any recommendations are welcome.

thanks
I had a RS many years ago that the entire hood and roof was.....and I could do exactly what you discribed. wasn't any different than taking care of any other paint.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
I've seen a few people running around here with matte finishes and they look terrible. They may have tried to do it themselves but it looks like the finish is uneven and you can see the paint strokes. I've seen a nissan 350 Z with flat black vinyl and that was by far the best lookiing because the finish was entirely even across the whole car. The pluses to vinyl wrapping is its removable and its cheaper. At night these cars look amazing, it almost looks like some kind of creature just came out of the street and start moving. Really kick ass.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

thanks for the input. i saw a flat black dodge magnum and in low light, street lights, it looked like shit. exactly what you said about the paint strokes. i know to get it done RIGHT it will cost $$$. im still on the fence about it right now because it still looks like a beast once its all shined up. right now i hate the paint GM used on it...its thin and chips too easily. gonna try and get it repainted with some german engineered paint thanks for again.