Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 04-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
lesson1
I Get Around

Drives: 2011 1LT
boost ?

i thinking of turboing my car it a2 lt and been reading post after post on rx, sts. And the supercharger as well rx, ips. Dont want sound like a noob but I am and at 19 it would be my first FI car big step up from my neon. just wondering what most are using i see a lot of comment but only a few actual have them is there a reason is the engine not good for boost? I know that going to a ss is out of the quetion plus i like my 2 lt.
lesson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
mpiper

Drives: 2011 Black 1LT RS
I don't have a SC or Turbo (yet) but I've been haunting this section for a while. I'll try to answer your question and hope others chime in and correct anything I might get wrong.

The LLT (LFX) is a Direct Injection Engine. This is the MAJOR difference between the LLT and the other engines (V8 and Ricers, etc.) that are running boost. The DI has 3 types of openings into the cylinder.The intake valve, the Exhaust valve, and the actual injector. Traditional engines only have the first two. The injectors are in the intake, spraying into the Intake Valve. This is the big issue, because normal Fuel injectors spray at 25-45 PSI, which is plenty to mix with the air as it flows past into the intake valves. DI injectors spray at over 1500 PSI. They need that pressure to be able to spray directly into the cylinder both when the intake valve is open and as the pressure starts to build as the valve closes. (secret to their power vs older engines).

So, as boost increases, the need for fuel increases. But, with the current Fuel pump, it can only provide 1500+ PSI up to the amount of fuel required for 6 pounds of boost. A new pump has been located, that seems to be able to handle much higher rates of fuel, but it's still in long term testing I believe.

The internals of the LLT are perfectly fine for boost. The block is aluminum with Iron bore liners for strength. There are 4 valves, 2 in and 2 Exhaust for better air flow. The pistons are cast aluminum, cooled by oil sprayed on the underside during the exhaust stroke. And a forged steel crankshaft.

The biggest issues for the LLT are getting enough fuel to make sure it never goes lean (death to FI engines), and some people have experienced unexpected oil loss, which can also cause engine failure. The new fuel pump should make sure there is enough fuel, and as long as you check your oil regularly (especially right before any racing) you should be good to go.

Hope that helped a little, and I'll let the real experts take it form there.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
blackTT600

Drives: 2011 2LT M6 SC
^ good, but you for got the fact that up to now only Vince at Trifecta can tune our cars, noting against him but a lot of us don't want to get involved with a mail in tune.
blackTT600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
lesson1
I Get Around

Thank for info i guess i should wait then for fuel upgrade an a tune with better options than one man. I would like to do it right the first time. I guess that what most llt are waiting on.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
blackTT600

Drives: 2011 2LT M6 SC
that and the $$ I am almost there but still kind of holding out on tune. The fuel problem less so because 6 psi is cool and you can upgrade from there.
blackTT600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
lesson1
I Get Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackTT600 View Post
that and the $$ I am almost there but still kind of holding out on tune. The fuel problem less so because 6 psi is cool and you can upgrade from there.
I have the money but just not sure what best i readed trifecta is good by some and not good by some. Also read that when he out off the office that no one else can make most update or tunes. May have to look at ipf alittle more because my car is stock.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
When you look at ipf, also consider your want/need for headers. IPF stated that they can't tune for headers yet. Just something to look at.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Each RX system is custom tuned and we have the fuel pump solution and the ONLY true oil separating crankcase evac system properly designed for the 3.6 DI that properly evacuates during both boost and non boost operation...and with these motors that is critical (ask any with the STS kit...)
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Each RX system is custom tuned and we have the fuel pump solution and the ONLY true oil separating crankcase evac system properly designed for the 3.6 DI that properly evacuates during both boost and non boost operation...and with these motors that is critical (ask any with the STS kit...)
I've seen the oil mess and STS. Not to say the kit is bad, it just needs the evac as stated.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
If you don't have the funds to replace a blown motor, don't go forced induction. So many will say, "my car has been running XXXXX miles just fine, don't worry about it!" Well, that's great and I hope it continues for them, but even if 1/15 cars crack a ringland or spin a bearing you're better safe than sorry when it comes to money, especially at your age.

Keep this in mind when modifying your car, always.

Cheap - Fast - Reliable

Pick two.

Don't fear the boost, but always be prepared for the worst case scenario.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #11
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Hmmm.....can you give an example of a LLT or LFX blown motor with FI?
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
JustFresh

Drives: 2011 1LT RS M6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Hmmm.....can you give an example of a LLT or LFX blown motor with FI?
I have only heard of one...that was CJ right?
edit: please correct me if i got that one wrong
JustFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
If you don't have the funds to replace a blown motor, don't go forced induction. So many will say, "my car has been running XXXXX miles just fine, don't worry about it!" Well, that's great and I hope it continues for them, but even if 1/15 cars crack a ringland or spin a bearing you're better safe than sorry when it comes to money, especially at your age.

Keep this in mind when modifying your car, always.

Cheap - Fast - Reliable

Pick two.

Don't fear the boost, but always be prepared for the worst case scenario.
I have to agree with this! If you are going to mod this extensively than you need to have a Plan B! Not saying not to go FI, but realize that no how reliable any one of the set ups might be, stuff still happens and when it does it will most likely be very expensive..
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #14
cjt037
boost+v6=me=:)

Drives: Turbo'd 6er
Don't bring me into this. I still watch these things
cjt037 is offline   Reply With Quote