Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: What do I do?
You've been obsessed with the convertible too long to give up now... 16 33.33%
Get the hardtop and have fun while you're still young 31 64.58%
Get another car (lexus is250, 370z, mustang, etc. etc.) 1 2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Dunno where I stand now...

I bought a little four cyl saturn so that I could have a nice easy car to trade in when the vert came out 6 months after the coupe (original announcement), so with it being pushed back to june/summer of 2010 was going to be a hard wait to do.

So after reading today that the convertible is pushed back to first few months of 2011, which means april/may delivery. so I have to wait an extra year on top of the already pushed back convertible. I don't know if I can wait that long.

I've been setting my eyes on a white vert, but more and more recently, IBM or VR hardtops are becoming VERY enticing.

Do I want to save up for the extra year and pay for the car in cash when I buy the convertible, or give in and buy a hardtop sometime early next year?

I REALLY hate waiting, but the convertible has been my first choice since i saw both of them. I live in California and would have the top down almost every day during the summer.

Do I wait for the convertible, or buy a hardtop?
Old 05-25-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
I love the convertible too, but I will be driving my car every day. I have conflict of opinions that I think you should do. I can knock one of them out if you have ridden in or owned a convertible before. I personally do not like the noise of driving with the top down. Some people don't notice it, others it bugs the crap out of them like me. So If this is something that doesn't bug you or something that you don't notice then go for it.

My old IROC had T-Tops and I only had them out when I was cruising in town with a top speed of 30 MPH. Not much noise there, Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love having them out while driving through town at slow speeds. But as soon as I hit 50-60 MPH I am wanting to put the tops back in.

My second thought is you can never have too much money in the bank. If you end up waiting for your vert, then that is just another year of savings. Trust me that is not a bad thing.

BUT!

If you are anything like me, you want to drive your car tomorrow. I honestly don't know how much longer I can stand waiting. I am a little different than you. My savings for the car has just started. I have only a quarter of the downpayment that I planned to have. So I HAVE to wait.

If you have the money right now, then I would wait for a few more months, and get an absolute, final confirmation that the Vert is waaaaaay down the road. I don't know if I am going to trust that article that came out as far as I can throw it. I am hoping for an earlier arrival for the vert. Keeping my fingers crossed. Okay, if the vert IS going to start production at the first quarter of 2011. I say Buy a camaro now! That is way to long, you will either lose your mind or buy something else like a corvette convertible

So my overall opinion is to wait a few more months for a final confimation, if the article is accurate. Order your hardtop. That's just too long to wait.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Well I'm waiting till about next March or May, putting an average of 600 a month away towards my down payment, I'll be able to put 2/3's of the car down when I order.

That is when I will order if it's a hardtop, so it's not about buying one right now.

As for the road noise, that is a very valid issues. Although, the look of it, and the sunset in the background will make it a REAL attention grabber when I take it to cruises and such.

The hardtop will be slightly faster and easier to take to the track (don't need roll bars in the hardtop if I track it), quieter inside, and I can get it sooner.

Those are the pros/cons.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Save the entire price of the car. If you've got the whole amount, then you can justify getting the coupe. I would hate to make payments on a car that wasn't exactly what I wanted.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:52 PM   #5
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
I say get the hardtop.... It will be a long wait watching everyone enjoy their camaro's while you wait for a convertable...

I'm sure once you get the hardtop you would love it and become attached to it
Old 05-25-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Verts are cool when their new but as they age they get too worn. It is after all not a luxury class car. I would be concerned with the wear of it over time.

Of course the first time your sitting in your coupe and a vert goes by you'll be longing for it.

Of course you can buy more Camaro under the hood with a coupe.

Of course the vert will hold resale better.

Of course the coupe could have a sunroof.

Of course the vert will get more looks.

Of course............................. Well, anyway, I voted convertable.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:37 PM   #7
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
If you can't get a 'vert. Get a hardtop.
If you can wait, get the 'vert. It'll be worth it.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I think you'd regret getting a coupe only to see the vert come out a year later. Just hold on. I know its difficult while driving a Saturn, but at least its one with the painted bumpers instead of the SLugly1
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Mindz -

Get the hardtop, crank up the Sawzall and make your own convertible.
Unfortunately, the top never goes up again...

Old 05-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #10
carsismeZ06
Corvette and Camaro lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro...some day...
CONVERTIBLE
Old 05-27-2009, 02:58 AM   #11
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Just a question. Is everyone voting for what they want or what they think I should get based on my situation?
Old 05-27-2009, 07:19 AM   #12
moto-camaro
CEO of the Internet

Drives: the Roflcopter
Send a message via AIM to moto-camaro Send a message via MSN to moto-camaro
in your situation, i'd get the vert. and no i'm not just saying that, i'm personally a bigger coupe fan
waiting that extra time for the vert (since the production is pushed back) is probably going to be hell, because a 4-cyl saturn simply isn't a camaro, but if you really want that convertible, i'd wait for it.
if you don't have the patience to sit on your hands and wait, obviously look at getting a couple
and as the almighty blur said "Save the entire price of the car." odds are life will be easier if you've got an extra years worth of payments/downpayment or maybe even full cash amount saved up.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:20 AM   #13
blaSSt

Drives: 98 SS, 15 COPO, 09 ZR1
Another option. It's not hard to find a 4th gen vert in great shape for a ggod price. Most of the depreciation is done, keep it a couple years sell it for a small loss, but the new 'vert. For instance Auto Trader has 90+ listings for 4th gen LS1 convertibles with less than 30,000 miles.