Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
J_Vibe92

Drives: 2013 Mustang 5.0
Subs or new speaker? Help!

okay. I have a 2011 Camero LS and I was wondering what would be best. should I put subs and a new amp or just buy new kicker speakers to replace the door subs?

what would around beat in general for a good cheap price

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
Visual mods: Eagle Eyes w/5k hids, Custom Hood Spears, Heritage Grille, Stage 2 LED Dome lights,Transformer Emblems, PD Bezels, 19in Chevy rims with pirellis, Blue painted calipers, GM GFX Front Splitter, 35/20 % Tint, TailLight Tint(charcoal)
1/4 Mile: 13.65 sec @ 102.53 mph R.I.P.
J_Vibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
TheGhosty

Drives: '11 SW 1LT RS
TheGhosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
J_Vibe92

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhosty View Post
-__-
Old 12-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
DraggnFrameGMC

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro LT
Replace everything and add a sub/amp
DraggnFrameGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #5
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
The best way to go about, it in my opinion, is add an amp first. Then add a sub (or two depending on what you like) since the car is severely lacking in bass. Then replace the speakers.

Thats what I'll be doing as my next few mods

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
TheGhosty

Drives: '11 SW 1LT RS
The whole reason I was excited was the "cheap price." Nothing that was suggested was cheap..
TheGhosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #7
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
Everything is totally dependent on your budget. If you have the money, then yes, rip it all out and start over. Buy what you want and install it all while the car is torn apart.
For those on a certian budget, you may need to do things in stages as your funds become available. If doing it in stages, I always recommend waiting till last to change out the speakers and put your finds where it counts first like an amp swap or a sub addition.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:01 AM   #8
J_Vibe92

so is just putting a new amp and a box in the trunk a bad idea?

Visual mods: Eagle Eyes w/5k hids, Custom Hood Spears, Heritage Grille, Stage 2 LED Dome lights,Transformer Emblems, PD Bezels, 19in Chevy rims with pirellis, Blue painted calipers, GM GFX Front Splitter, 35/20 % Tint, TailLight Tint(charcoal)
1/4 Mile: 13.65 sec @ 102.53 mph R.I.P.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:15 AM   #9
lscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhosty View Post
The whole reason I was excited was the "cheap price." Nothing that was suggested was cheap..
I guess that depends on your definition of cheap huh?

Old 12-10-2012, 01:17 AM   #10
lscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Vibe92 View Post
so is just putting a new amp and a box in the trunk a bad idea?

No, it's not a bad idea. I'd just be careful on the amp because if you supply your stock speakers with too much power, they will eventually blow. You have to understand that stock speakers, compared to decent aftermarket sets, are garbage. They aren't terribly bad but you will greatly benefit from an aftermarket set.

Having said that, I think a few members have replaced the stock amp and then added a sub.

I'm going to be doing it in stages because I want some really good front speakers since, in my opinion, that's the heart of the whole system. So I need to save a little more for some real good front speakers.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #11
TeamTCA

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS #21068
ADDING a subwoofer, nice box, & sub amp will be the most noticeable. As $$$ allow, then upgrade front spkrs & amp, then rears, then processor, and at your option, replace the headunit. Although you can make is sound very nice with the OEM headunit. Keep in mind you get what you pay for too!!!

Kenwood Excelon, Rockford Fosgate, JBL, Hertz, Audison, Illusion Audio,
Mosconi, Diamond Audio, Hybrid Audio, WetSounds, & more
TeamTCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #12
J_Vibe92

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTCA View Post
ADDING a subwoofer, nice box, & sub amp will be the most noticeable. As $$$ allow, then upgrade front spkrs & amp, then rears, then processor, and at your option, replace the headunit. Although you can make is sound very nice with the OEM headunit. Keep in mind you get what you pay for too!!!

Would I be better to replace to 6x9 subs on the doors with good subwoofers ? I'm not looking for people to hear me down the street but I wanna sound nice from 10-15 yards or so.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #13
Supermaro585HP
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS
I started out just wanting to change my back speakers. I took it to my local shop and next thing I know I was putting a whole new system in. 2 12" subs 2 amps and a head unit with all new speakers. About $6000 later and the damn thing is so loud that I can't turn it up past 20 without blowing my ear drumbs out. LOL Exactly what I wanted. LOL Check out ARC audio. I got ARC black 12" subs. Sorry to go on and on but I love this shit. LOL If you go on the shops website they use my car for their feature. www.audioworkx.com Check it out. I did change the wheels to TSW Valencia black ..

Last edited by Supermaro585HP; 12-10-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Supermaro585HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #14
drpotter

Drives: 2012 SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTCA View Post
******** said it and so did TeamTCA. Subs and Amp.

If you shop around you can get a decent set up for $500-$700 (installing yourself) and once adding you can lower the bass on the HU which allows for a cleaner sound out of your stock speakers at higher volume levels.

What ever you do, don't buy a wiring kit. You will be paying too much since the wires you will be splicing into and the battery are all in the trunk you don't need as much wire as they supply in most kits.
drpotter is offline   Reply With Quote