Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
BA RS
Big B

Drives: 2016 2SS Summit White
Grill lighting and how to wire.

Ok brothers , I have looked in the DIY section for some help but can't find anything. So I bought some LEDs for my grill and I need ya'lls help with wording. I bought a switch that I will install inside to control the light. However I am confused on where to wire them . I tried to wire the power to the fuse box but when I did a test it didn't work. So if you guys help I know I can do this. Thanks

2016 2SS,NPP exhauset, A8, Black and White interior, black rims, black center stripe.
BA RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
KMAN114

Drives: 2010 Black LS
You also need to wire it to a ground, you didn't mention grounding it so just making sure you know
KMAN114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
BA RS
Big B

Yes I did do that so the switch I have as three prongs. 2 are silver and 1 is gold. I assume the gold is for the power that is going to be connected to a constant power source. But when I connect the power wire from the LED to one other the other prongs and then I connected a ground wire to the other prong and then connect it to a ground and the ground wire for the Led I grounded it as well and still it wont light up. Now I know it works cause I took the led and connected it directly to the battery and it lite up. So what did I do wrong?

2016 2SS,NPP exhauset, A8, Black and White interior, black rims, black center stripe.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
Jerry7297

Drives: 2018 2SS/ 1LE
The odd prong may be the ground. The ground symbol is typically like the pic below. Does it have that marking on it by a prong?
Jerry7297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
2011 RJT

Drives: 2011 RJT/RS
Just run the ground to a grounding point, not the switch. Just the power wires to the switch. I have a feeling its a single pole,double throw switch from what you described. I think the middle would be constant power(from battery) and the others to led or power source.
Attached Images

2011 RJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #6
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
its pretty easy. there are plenty of grounds within the engine bay and you can either power it straight to the battery terminal or to a switch
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
LnLSS
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2015 Red Hot ZL1
Center is always power from source, this leaves one side as ground and the other is power to lights. Ground does not need to be used if you don't want your switch lighted so you can just ground leds. Once center power is connected you can test either side for power when switched.
LnLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
The only reason for the third prong is for a small led light on the switch itself. As was mentioned above, it's not really needed.

Since I am not sure where you are wiring it inside of the car, may I suggest the following location:

The add-a-fuse line in my picture below is a constant 12v source and it how I have my grill lights wired. This is the fuse box on the driver's side interior. From this picture, the wire runs like this:

fuse (power source) - switch - grill lights

lights - ground

If you have a third pole, you can run it to a gound as well and the light on the switch will light up when the switch is powered on.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
BA RS
Big B

Jerry no there is no symbol like that one you showed. I do believe that I did see one of the prongs on the sides that had a + on it . Ok that gives me some good info and hopefully be able to do it tonight when I get home. Thanks guys.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
BA RS
Big B

So Deke if I am hearing you correctly I from the add a fuse on the fuse box inside then that wire will go to the switch . Then I need the power wire from the LED to the other prong on the switch . Then the ground wire from the LED needs to be grounded somewhere , then I will need to ground the switch . Does that sound about right?

Old 02-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
2011 RJT

Drives: 2011 RJT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA RS View Post
So Deke if I am hearing you correctly I from the add a fuse on the fuse box inside then that wire will go to the switch . Then I need the power wire from the LED to the other prong on the switch . Then the ground wire from the LED needs to be grounded somewhere , then I will need to ground the switch . Does that sound about right?
Yes. But depending on the switch,you may not want to ground on the switch. try it like you said. If it still doesn't work,try removing the ground and grounding seperate. Easiest way is to set it up on a table using a 9v battery. I have a few leads with alligator clips(small) on the ends. I can play around before I finally hook anything up.
2011 RJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #12
BA RS
Big B

the switch is just a 2 position switch that has a little red light that lights up when its powered on to let me know the lights are on.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #13
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA RS View Post
That is absolutely correct. The ground from the switch (the third prong) is only for the light on the switch itself. You do not need to use it if you don't want to. To ground the LED's themselves, you can use a point in the engine bay or use a ground next to the fuse panel. Whichever is easiest for you!
Old 02-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #14
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke736 View Post
That is absolutely correct. The ground from the switch (the third prong) is only for the light on the switch itself. You do not need to use it if you don't want to. To ground the LED's themselves, you can use a point in the engine bay or use a ground next to the fuse panel. Whichever is easiest for you!
+1
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote