Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 07-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
camaroguy
MJ is finally home!

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS Camaro M6
So we get stuck with low end Tremec?

Looking around for more information about the Tremec TR-6060 tranny, I came across a GM link with info about the different types of tremecs. Basically the tremec in the Camaro is only rated for 430 lb -ft. of torque. All along I assumed it was 600 lb ft. according to the Camaro5 wiki.

I know its a cost cutting measure, but leaving only a 10 lb ft. torque difference in the specifications?

Gm Link - http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en..._MG9_M10_n.doc

Low maintenance
The TR6060 6-speed uses Texaco ATF Type III 1863 fluid and is certified "fill-for-life," requiring no fluid changes. The clutch is activated hydraulically, which automatically compensates for clutch disc wear, eliminating manual adjustments (except for the ZR1 which uses a traditional clutch). The Tremec TR6060 six-speed has evolved from a design that aimed to require virtually no maintenance in all but the most severe conditions.

Overview
Both the standard Corvette and the high-performance Z06 use the TR6060 designated as MM6, which is validated to 500 lb-ft of torque, while the TR6060 with the Z51 option features higher ratios and is designated as MZ6. It is validated to 430 lb-ft of torque. The ultra high performance ZR1 uses the TR6060 designated as the MH3, which is validated to 650 lb-ft of torque. The CTSv uses the MG9 version of the TR6060 validated to 560 lb-ft of torque. The Camaro uses the M10 gear set validated to 430 lb-ft
camaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
doesnt say that it broke at that power, just that its capable of holding that power... which is roughly what the LS3 puts out... isnt it?

you are reading too much into it.

how much power does the Z06 make? ~500hp.... the ZR1 makes around 650hp.... CTSv makes around 550hp....

do you think GM is going to put a transmission in there that can juuuuuuuuuuuuust barely support the existing power of the motor?
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
doesnt say that it broke at that power, just that its capable of holding that power... which is roughly what the LS3 puts out... isnt it?

how much power does the Z06 make? ~500hp.... the ZR1 makes around 650hp.... CTSv makes around 550hp....

do you think GM is going to put a transmission in there that can juuuuuuuuuuuuust barely support the existing power of the motor?
My thoughts exactly.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
InventoryGuy

Drives: Tundra
Quote:

700r4 would be a shining example. Used in Syclone and Typhoons and was easily detroyed. In fact they rated power output with the motors used in a lot of 700r4 applications to make sure they didn't exceed the trans limits on paper.
InventoryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:02 AM   #5
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroguy View Post
Looking around for more information about the Tremec TR-6060 tranny, I came across a GM link with info about the different types of tremecs. Basically the tremec in the Camaro is only rated for 430 lb -ft. of torque. All along I assumed it was 600 lb ft. according to the Camaro 5 wiki.

I know its a cost cutting measure, but leaving only a 10 lb ft. torque difference in the specifications?

Gm Link - http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en..._MG9_M10_n.doc

Low maintenance
The TR6060 6-speed uses Texaco ATF Type III 1863 fluid and is certified "fill-for-life," requiring no fluid changes. The clutch is activated hydraulically, which automatically compensates for clutch disc wear, eliminating manual adjustments (except for the ZR1 which uses a traditional clutch). The Tremec TR6060 six-speed has evolved from a design that aimed to require virtually no maintenance in all but the most severe conditions.

Overview
Both the standard Corvette and the high-performance Z06 use the TR6060 designated as MM6, which is validated to 500 lb-ft of torque, while the TR6060 with the Z51 option features higher ratios and is designated as MZ6. It is validated to 430 lb-ft of torque. The ultra high performance ZR1 uses the TR6060 designated as the MH3, which is validated to 650 lb-ft of torque. The CTSv uses the MG9 version of the TR6060 validated to 560 lb-ft of torque. The Camaro uses the M10 gear set validated to 430 lb-ft
Well, they have always made different specs of their tranny's. It's like the T56 in my Cobra is not the same as the fbody or the viper.

That being said, the CTSV's TR6060 probably does have some noticeably upgraded internals that makes it differ from the base vettes and camaro's.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:16 AM   #6
a6pk2go

Drives: ...
Gee..........I'm getting an automatic.........I guess I'm just nosey tonight or bored.
a6pk2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:34 AM   #7
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Quote:

Also, what a part is rated at and what it takes to break it are completely different numbers. Continuous load, peak load, and shear strength are just three of those ratings. The number you're looking at is continuous load. There is a safety margin built in for manufacturing tolerance also. My degree is in electronics, but I dabble in mechanical.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #8
Steve1968LS2

Drives: 1968 LS2 powered - Bad Penny
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroguy View Post
Looking around for more information about the Tremec TR-6060 tranny, I came across a GM link with info about the different types of tremecs. Basically the tremec in the Camaro is only rated for 430 lb -ft. of torque. All along I assumed it was 600 lb ft. according to the Camaro 5 wiki.

I'm sorry but you are wrong.. the Camaros have the 700-lb rated trans.. the same as is in the GT-500 Mustang, Vette, and very similar to the ZR1 version.

Don't get your tech from any Wiki page.. it's only as good as the person writing it. lol

I have two TR-6060 varients in my shop and I'm currently working with Tremec on a tech story explaining the difference between the TR-6060 (T56 Magnum) and the T56...

Being rated in the 400s is nonsense and the person that wrote that isn't very well informed.

1968 Camaro - 461 RHS LS 700hp, various stuff, called Bad Penny
1968 Camaro - In progress, called Track Rat
2010 Camaro - DSE Suspension, Baer 6S Brakes, Boze Wheels, Nitto NT05 Tires, JBA Exhaust and long tubes, Magnacharger TVS, 660rwhp Forged Eagle 416 LS3 short block, ADM fuel system, Lingenfelter GT-9 cam, G-Force axles, Anvil and Seibon CF parts, Centerforce Dual-Disc Clutch

www.fquick.com/steve1968ls2
Steve1968LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
Steve1968LS2

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
Also, what a part is rated at and what it takes to break it are completely different numbers. Continuous load, peak load, and shear strength are just three of those ratings. The number you're looking at is continuous load. There is a safety margin built in for manufacturing tolerance also. My degree is in electronics, but I dabble in mechanical.
It's rated at 700 lb-ft of torque.. however, if you toss on a set of slicks the "torque spike" when the car hooks can break the trans.

Then again, on street tires you could run 1000 hp though the trans since it will never hook.

Hard shocks is what kills transmissions.

The main differences between the various TR6060 varients is in gearing and in the front case/tail shaft areas. Acutally most have the same gearing except the ZR1 which has a very close ratio setup.

I will talking with the Tremec guy all next week.. what questions do you want me to ask?

2010 Camaro - DSE Suspension, Baer 6S Brakes, Boze Wheels, Nitto NT05 Tires, JBA Exhaust and long tubes, Magnacharger TVS, 660rwhp Forged Eagle 416 LS3 short block, ADM fuel system, Lingenfelter GT-9 cam, G-Force axles, Anvil and Seibon CF parts, Centerforce Dual-Disc Clutch

Old 07-02-2009, 05:58 PM   #10
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
It's rated at 700 lb-ft of torque.. however, if you toss on a set of slicks the "torque spike" when the car hooks can break the trans.

Then again, on street tires you could run 1000 hp though the trans since it will never hook.

Hard shocks is what kills transmissions.

The main differences between the various TR6060 varients is in gearing and in the front case/tail shaft areas. Acutally most have the same gearing except the ZR1 which has a very close ratio setup.

I will talking with the Tremec guy all next week.. what questions do you want me to ask?
Ask him how to stop people who don't know what they are talking about from posting on wikipedia.

Oh, and I assume that the different variants all use the same housing, shaft design, bearing support locations, etc., so what (besides ratios) really changes depending on application? Do they use higher grade steel for the higher hp cars?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:00 PM   #11
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Quote:
I would hope not but given the 10 bolt rear end in the previous generation, it wouldn't be totally unthinkable.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #12
Steve1968LS2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
Ask him how to stop people who don't know what they are talking about from posting on wikipedia.

Oh, and I assume that the different variants all use the same housing, shaft design, bearing support locations, etc., so what (besides ratios) really changes depending on application? Do they use higher grade steel for the higher hp cars?
No, they all have the same internal parts.. Although I'm not sure on the ZR1 varient (but I do know it has special ratios).

Since the TR6060 uses a remote shifter system that's the biggest change.. and of course there would be differences base on whether the target car is IRS or live axle.

I have the aftermarket version (called a T56 Magnum) in my orange '68 Camaro. The big diff there is that it has a direct (more traditional) shifter, but the internals are identical to the OEM version.

I will ask them next week about differences in internals.. but I'm pretty sure they are the same from a strength standpoint.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #13
Steve1968LS2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandotron View Post
I would hope not but given the 10 bolt rear end in the previous generation, it wouldn't be totally unthinkable.
You know.. this has always bugged me.. that rear was perfectly fine for the way the car came from the factory.

It's not GM's responsibility to over-engineer parts so that people can run slicks, add blowers, or do other changes to the car.

I found it fascinating that someone would add slicks, toss on a 200 shot of nitrous and then complain that the "crappy" rear blew apart. lol

Old 07-02-2009, 06:27 PM   #14
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
You know.. this has always bugged me.. that rear was perfectly fine for the way the car came from the factory.

It's not GM's responsibility to over-engineer parts so that people can run slicks, add blowers, or do other changes to the car.

I found it fascinating that someone would add slicks, toss on a 200 shot of nitrous and then complain that the "crappy" rear blew apart. lol
I disagree.

I understand not having to engineer stock parts for people with FI, nitrous, etc in mind, but SLICKS? Come on now, there are countless horror stories on ls1tech about people blowing up their rear ends on sticky tires and STOCK POWER. There are also a few about DONUTS on street tires killing 10 bolts. The way I see it, durability involves the purposeful over engineering of a wear item. The fourth gen wasn't an economy commuter car - why would they design a rear end that could juuuuust barely handle 300-350hp on street tires?