Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 12-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS RS 1LE
Dealer woes

Am I the only one that has a dealer that sold me the car but has not one clue what the hell a 1LE is!?

I actually had to yell at the mechanic that wanted to rotate my tires because "...they're all the same size." I almost blew a gasket and told him "It's my dam car! Put them back!"

Every time I take it in there's an issue because they don't know anything about 1LEs. I even had to explain to my salesman what it was when I bought it.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

I'm in Austin Texas by the way if anyone has a recommendation for a better dealer.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
Schluney

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Most dealers don't know anything about the 1LE you're not alone! Mine isn't too bad but my salesman had never heard of the car
Old 12-20-2014, 04:24 PM   #4
NYblack1le

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Dont go to the dealer unless you have no other choice.
NYblack1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #5
Schluney

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYblack1le View Post
Dont go to the dealer unless you have no other choice.
+1 I wouldn't let the dealer touch my car
Old 12-20-2014, 06:38 PM   #6
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

I generally don't but I did buy an extended warrenty.......

I've been going for the oil changes since it's been cheaper to have them do it than for me to even just buy the oil. By the way, Autozone and those guys are SUPPER expensive for oil. Walmart and Lowes/HD are all about half the cost for oil. Crazy, I know.

The biggest reason I bring this up is my tranny is making strange noises and is difficult to down shift into second. Personally, I've never been impressed with this tranny's operation. It's always been rather truckish and clunky. I hear reviews and videos praising it as all that and a bag of donuts but I don't see it. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE this car!

The major frustration I have is I can't take it to the dealer and ask them "...hey, this sound right to you?" I've done that twice now and they've driven it but they always come back with the same ...it works, don't mess with it answer.

The pilot bearing is loud when idling and the clutch out. Makes me feel like it's going to come apart at any time. Not comfidence inspiring.

I feel more than a little let down by the manufacture when I go to ask a question about the car I bought from them and all I get is the same blank look I get from my kids when I ask about their homework........Not good.

Is anyone hearing the same stuff from their tranny? I posted this here because it's a 1LE and not just a dealer complaint.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:05 PM   #7
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
None of these trannies are whisper quiet, they all rattle more or less, it's the nature of the beast.

I'm more concerned about your downshift problem than the noise.

Did you demonstrate to them the downshift issue?

As for the noise, switch out the tranny fluid, and seeing where you live, I wouldn't hesitate to put in Redline MTL, instead of the D4. It's a tad thicker, and a few on here have reported the tranny quieting down. A couple of well known vendors use this oil on their cars as well btw.

Camarotobeornottobe has been experimenting with the MTL as well, I think for about a year now. Like yourself, he wasn't happy with the noise, and he proceeded with a D4/MTL mix..he reported positive results. I'd him up for a report via PM or his posts in the past on here.

I'm using D4, as our mornings are cooler than yours, and I'm nervous about the bearing wear with MTL, but having owned sports cars most of my entire adult life, I'm accustomed to tranny rattles being the norm rather the exception .

In any case, I will be eventually adding a 50/50% MTL/D4 on my next flush, just to see for experiments sake, if it does quiet down even further, and I will report back, but it won't be for a while longer.

Good luck
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #8
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schluney View Post
Most dealers don't know anything about the 1LE you're not alone! Mine isn't too bad but my salesman had never heard of the car
Dealership sales people generally dont know shit about anything but how to figure their commission....

My salesman, the people in the shop that did PDI, even the General manager didnt know wtf a 1LE was. They were all good to work with, not jerks or anything. But they have no clue what something is unless its something they sell every day. I've had my 1LE since last February and to this day the guys in the wash rack there remember me and my car, its the only 1LE my dealership has ever seen.
TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:22 PM   #9
NYblack1le

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Dealers dont like doing anything preventative. My opinion would be to change all you're own fluids,do all you're own preventative maintenance and if something breaks bring it in.
NYblack1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:28 PM   #10
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
None of these trannies are whisper quiet, they all rattle more or less, it's the nature of the beast.

I'm more concerned about your downshift problem than the noise.

Did you demonstrate to them the downshift issue?

As for the noise, switch out the tranny fluid, and seeing where you live, I wouldn't hesitate to put in Redline MTL, instead of the D4. It's a tad thicker, and a few on here have reported the tranny quieting down. A couple of well known vendors use this oil on their cars as well btw.

Camarotobeornottobe has been experimenting with the MTL as well, I think for about a year now. Like yourself, he wasn't happy with the noise, and he proceeded with a D4/MTL mix..he reported positive results. I'd him up for a report via PM or his posts in the past on here.

I'm using D4, as our mornings are cooler than yours, and I'm nervous about the bearing wear with MTL, but having owned sports cars most of my entire adult life, I'm accustomed to tranny rattles being the norm rather the exception .

In any case, I will be eventually adding a 50/50% MTL/D4 on my next flush, just to see for experiments sake, if it does quiet down even further, and I will report back, but it won't be for a while longer.

Good luck
The noise part isn't really a "gear" noise. It's definitely the pilot bearing. It's only heard while the car is in neutral and the clutch is out. I don't have any sound issues with the gear set inside. That part is rock solid. I'll be changing out all of my fluids here very soon now that I got my Quick Jacks. I've not been able to lift the car up with the body kit on it until they showed up this week. Now it's game on.

I'll look to get some of the fluids you mentioned here soon. Sunday is family/shopping day and Monday I'm installing four corners of R1 Concepts brakes all the way around with ceramic pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBandit911 View Post
Dealership sales people generally dont know shit about anything but how to figure their commission....

My salesman, the people in the shop that did PDI, even the General manager didnt know wtf a 1LE was. They were all good to work with, not jerks or anything. But they have no clue what something is unless its something they sell every day. I've had my 1LE since last February and to this day the guys in the wash rack there remember me and my car, its the only 1LE my dealership has ever seen.
I know what you mean. I've worked at several dealers in my youth and that's how its been with most sales people. If you find a good one, hold on to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYblack1le View Post
Dealers dont like doing anything preventative. My opinion would be to change all you're own fluids,do all you're own preventative maintenance and if something breaks bring it in.
As I mentioned above. Now that I can get under my car I'll be doing everything that doesn't require special equipment or large cost of parts.

Overall I'm hearing y'all saying stuff about gear noise and that's not what I'm dealing with. It's pilot bearing in neutral and the second gear sincro sounds/feels like crap. Pulling it down into second feels like a two step process. It kind of clunks down a bit and then falls again if you keep pulling.

I really need to drive another 1LE to be able to tell if it's just me or really is a problem.

Is there any difference between the trannys for the 2013 or the newer ones? If not I'll just find one on a lot or something and take it for a drive. At least then I'll know. It's driving me a bit batty.

CHEVY....I know you monitor this site. Why don't you teach your people about this? Doesn't inspire me to buy another special model down the road if I can't trust the dealer to even spell the name correctly.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:05 PM   #11
extraurban

Drives: Junker
Quote:
The noise part isn't really a "gear" noise. It's definitely the pilot bearing. It's only heard while the car is in neutral and the clutch is out. I don't have any sound issues with the gear set inside.
When you're in neutral and clutch is out (i.e. engaged) you will hear the input shaft spinning from the cabin.
If it is your pilot bearing, it probably sounds a little more squeaky like this:

Quote:
Pulling it down into second feels like a two step process. It kind of clunks down a bit and then falls again if you keep pulling.
not to critique your shifting, but make sure you're putting more pressure towards the left side of the gates, rather than down. shifts should be relatively effortless (like with your fingers)...except maybe engaging 1st shortly after startup when it's cold outside (sub 0 centigrade), when you really have to jam that bastard in.

but in all seriousness, try to find a local private mechanic that services more performance oriented cars, there's nothing that says you have to service your car at a dealer, except for warrantied parts + labour.
extraurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:43 PM   #12
guerrillakilla13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Why didn't you let them rotate your tires?

I get your frustration though. What Good is a warranty if they don't know what they're doing.
guerrillakilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:51 PM   #13
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
It can work to your advantage..... Like the dealer I bought my 2014 from, the car was bought orginally at a different dealer 300 miles away and the original owner really wanted a vette, but they did not have one, so he bought the 1le. Fast forward 22 days and 200 miles later, he finds the vette (at the dealer I bought mine from) he dreamed of, drives the 1le to the dealer and trades it in. Next day it is on ebay as a plain jane ss, I can't belive my eyes......A 2014 1LE 2ss with NAV and NPP with less than 500 miles on the clock..BUY IT NOW $32,000!......CLICK! 9 days later the truck pulls up with my new (100% as new condition) car, tucked away in the back of all the books and manuals is the $42,300 window sticker! :-)
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:34 AM   #14
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extraurban View Post
When you're in neutral and clutch is out (i.e. engaged) you will hear the input shaft spinning from the cabin.
If it is your pilot bearing, it probably sounds a little more squeaky like this:

not to critique your shifting, but make sure you're putting more pressure towards the left side of the gates, rather than down. shifts should be relatively effortless (like with your fingers)...except maybe engaging 1st shortly after startup when it's cold outside (sub 0 centigrade), when you really have to jam that bastard in.

but in all seriousness, try to find a local private mechanic that services more performance oriented cars, there's nothing that says you have to service your car at a dealer, except for warrantied parts + labour.
VERY Cool of you to take the time and put a video up for me to hear it! Thanks. I think I heard what you're pointing out. It wasn't constant, more of a rattling/squeak and only lasted for a little bit....? It didn't stay constant, or did I miss something. Everyone in the house is still asleep so I can't turn it up loud to hear more detail yet.

Concerning shifting style. I generally pull toward the left a bit anyway. Strange part is, is it's easier to downshift into 1st at a slow roll than it is to pull it into second at anytime. That alone makes me think the second gear sincros are junk. If memory serves, second and reverse sincros are linked in some way right? Or is that only on the older style five speeds?

I wont have time to do it today however, tomorrow when I put her up on my new lifts I'll shoot a video and see if I can catch the sound on my GoPro. Then I'll spend an hour or so trying to figure out how you put it in here. LOL.

Most of the time shifting is fairly "smooth." But second on this car is clunky and takes more effort than any of the other gears to pull it into gear. I've had the Service Manager drive it twice and he really doesn't think there's an issue. He does admit there could be something going on but doesn't know beans about 1LEs and doesn't want to tell me somethings wrong when it might be part of the beast. That said, he was going to set up a meeting for his boss, (one of the owners), himself and I to sit down and figure out what to do about it since I've been in a couple of times about the same "problem." That never happened and that was a couple months ago now....Big surprise. I agree with him whole heartily I don't want them to tear into things and find nothing and end up creating an issue. This is the main point of my frustration, I JUST DON'T KNOW enough and they can't tell me anything because THEY don't know enough either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillakilla13 View Post
Why didn't you let them rotate your tires?

I get your frustration though. What Good is a warranty if they don't know what they're doing.
Our cars have different size rims. The backs are 11" wide and the fronts are 10" wide. The staggered fit was done to improve the driving characteristics of the car. The rubber is the same size all the way around but, unless you dismount the rubber and rotate them that way you can't just swap rims front to back like he was trying to do.

I forgot to mention, it was written on the work order DO NOT ROTATE TIRES in big handwritten letters. Yet he was still trying to do it anyway. Frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
It can work to your advantage..... Like the dealer I bought my 2014 from, the car was bought orginally at a different dealer 300 miles away and the original owner really wanted a vette, but they did not have one, so he bought the 1le. Fast forward 22 days and 200 miles later, he finds the vette (at the dealer I bought mine from) he dreamed of, drives the 1le to the dealer and trades it in. Next day it is on ebay as a plain jane ss, I can't belive my eyes......A 2014 1LE 2ss with NAV and NPP with less than 500 miles on the clock..BUY IT NOW $32,000!......CLICK! 9 days later the truck pulls up with my new (100% as new condition) car, tucked away in the back of all the books and manuals is the $42,300 window sticker! :-)
You sir, have powerful Chi! I love getting deals like that. Good on ya sir.

I want to thank y'all for the knowledge. Few things I hate more is not knowing what's going on with my car and not being able to get what I feel are simple answers.