Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-20-2015, 02:34 PM   #1
Texas_RS

Drives: 2013 1LE/SS
How do I remove 1le oil Separator

So I wanted to take off the engine cover, but wasn't sure how to remove the 1LE oil separator. Is the separator like a catch can? Does it need to be checked etc? Thanks Didn't want to break anything in the process.

Also any pros/cons to having engine cover on or off?
Current mods: Stainless Power Long Tube Headers,Cat Delete,CAI Cold Air Intake,Vitesse throttle controller, Muffler/Resonator Delete w/dual tips. ADM Performance Tuned,BMR 1.25 lowering springs,R1 Concept Slotted/Dimpled Rotors.
Texas_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:56 PM   #2
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
It drains back to engine, which is why you install it over the cap, so it doesn't need maintenance except that it's not advised to be used if it's freezing outside.

The hose has a quick release; it's fairly easy to remove.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:22 PM   #3
Sidecardog1

Drives: 2015 2SS, 1LE, Dual Mode, Black
My dealer had installed the oil separator at delivery and forgot to give me the filler cap and instructions. Next morning I went back and politely asked how do you put oil in this car if needed. The mechanic came out and gave me the instruction sheet, the box the separator kit came in as well as the filler cap. After reading the instruction sheet, it was a piece of cake to remove and put the simple filler cap back on. If you would like a copy of the instruction sheet, I would be glad to dig it out, scan and post here for you.
Sidecardog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:32 PM   #4
Texas_RS

Yes please. If you could, I bought the car used so didn't come with most of the books, etc..I know that the hose has a quick release, but it looks like you have to remove the whole separator housing before you can take off the engine cover. I didn't know if it's something that screws on/off or pulls, etc...thanks a lot
Current mods: Stainless Power Long Tube Headers,Cat Delete,CAI Cold Air Intake,Vitesse throttle controller, Muffler/Resonator Delete w/dual tips. ADM Performance Tuned,BMR 1.25 lowering springs,R1 Concept Slotted/Dimpled Rotors.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:53 PM   #5
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
The separator takes the place of the oil fill cap. So once the tube is disconnected via the quick connect fitting, then you just rotate the entire oil separator CCW like you would to remove the normal oil fill cap. The entire separator will come off the engine then. In my link below there is a picture of the separator from the chevy website and you can see that the bottom of the oil separator is an exact copy of the bottom of the oil fill cap to fit inside the oil fill tube and lock it into place.

Also you do not need to have the engine cover on to use the oil separator with. I removed my engine cover and the extra insulator cover over top of the intake manifold and left them off. I didn't want the extra heat being trapped on top of the engine.

You can see pics of my engine bay in the Z/28 CAI intake thread here:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...385592&page=10

Look at post# 248 and I have some pictures of my engine after the Z/28 CAI install. You can see there is no engine cover on and the oil separator is still installed.

Last edited by Nick S; 04-20-2015 at 08:37 PM.
Nick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:25 PM   #6
Texas_RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
The separator takes the place of the oil fill cap. So ones the tube is disconnected via the quick connect fitting, then you just rotate the entire oil separator CCW like you would to remove the normal oil fill cap. The entire separator will come off the engine then. In my link below there is a picture of the separate from the chevy website and you can see that the bottom of the oil separator is an exact copy of the bottom of the oil fill cap to fit inside the oil fill tube and lock it into place.

Also you do not need to have the engine cover on to use the oil separator with. I removed my engine cover and the extra insulator cover over top of the intake manifold and left them off. I didn't want the extra heat being trapped on top of the engine.

You can see pics of my engine bay in the Z/28 CAI intake thread here:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...385592&page=10

Look at post# 248 and I have some pictures of my engine after the Z/28 CAI install. You can see there is no engine cover on and the oil separator is still installed.
Thanks man, exactly what I needed to know!
Old 04-20-2015, 05:00 PM   #7
Sidecardog1

I think you got the info that you needed. Once the quick disconnect is used to connect the tube from the separator housing just twist the separator off like Texas_RS indicated. I am missing page 1 of the instructions in English, but have it in French & Spanish ! If you still want them let me know. I'll post what I have tomorrow.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:00 AM   #8
Sidecardog1

1LE Oil Separator Instructions

Here is pages 2 & 3 on the instructions which was all I got from the dealer at delivery. My separator system was installed at delivery and using these instructions it was easy to figure out how to install the stock system back. So if your separator system is installed (hopefully the original owner gave you the stock PCV tube that was removed to install the separator system), all you need to do is disconnect the tube at the separator main housing (where the stock oil cap should go). Once you have the tube off, then twist the separator main body 120 degree CCW and remove it to put oil in. If you want the engine cover off, the instructions indicate how. Hope this helps. I put my stock PCV system back on as I was concerned that a dealer tech might break it during an oil change as this was their first 1LE delivered and new to them. - Chris
Attached Images
File Type: pdf GMinstr1LEoilSeparator.pdf (799.3 KB, 211 views)
Old 04-21-2015, 10:38 PM   #9
Texas_RS

Thanks a lot Sidecardog1! After the storms pass through here I'll be taking the engine cover off!