Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-22-2015, 11:46 AM   #1
Hetfield03

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Black/IOM
Thank you dump truck passing me opposite lane...

On a two lane in a construction zone with cones dividing us as the dump truck passed I hear a rock hit the roof that sounds right over my head. Are you serious??! Fuming as I can't even pull over to look for another two miles, I finally see the damage. Two inches above the windshield. Two dents one kinda deep and it wrinkled the metal pretty good too.

My pdr friend says he doesn't think he can fix it so I go to a body shop. Gonna have to remove the panel and fix it that way. Make the whole roof look new again. They gotta drop the ceiling and remove the Xm antenna. Metalwork, paint, clear... $848. Only thing that makes me feel a little better is it had a few hideouss cratches and some kind of spot that resembles tree sap that adhered itself to the paint that will be fixed as well. Bright sides, am I right?
Attached Images

ZL1 Factory Reproduction Wheels, Airaid CAI, MRT V 2.0 Axle Back Installed by PIE Customs, Painted IOM Rally Stripes, Bowties by Danny Taylor Louisville KY, IOM Engine Cover and Fusebox Cover by River City Creations and Lighting San Antonio TX.
Hetfield03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:54 AM   #2
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Glad it did not hit lower and go through the windshield, that would have cost less to replace the glass, but not your face.

Still sucks though.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:55 AM   #3
Trip

Drives: 2015 White RS 2SS 1LE
Dang, that sucks!! I was behind a dumptruck one time that dropped a rock that actually bounced on the road in front of me and landed right on my windshield and smashed it real bad. I feel your pain, you want them to be responsible but I don't know how you could go about doing it and they always have some little sign claiming they're not responsible.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:04 PM   #4
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Trucks that drop stuff suck. It happens way to often.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:33 PM   #5
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Must have been a hell of a rock to cause that big of a dent. Glad it wasn't any worse and you're okay.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:44 PM   #6
NYCamOwner
"Katy"

Drives: 2014 2LT A6 'Vert
Yea, I have had a few run ins with dump trucks and stones.. They have the signs on them that display that they are not responsible for stones kicking up.. I got hit with one a while back, and I asked the guy "So who IS responsible for your truck and the stone it kicked up? Me?" His company broke down and paid for my new windshield because I got really ticked at them and would not let it go.

Possible next mods:
Throttle Body
Exhaust

Upstate C5 Member

No, that is not me in the avatar..... I just love hot girls and hot cars.... or hot girls IN hot cars....
NYCamOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:03 PM   #7
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Those signs are misleading, they are responsible they just don't want to be.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:25 PM   #8
Hetfield03

Well, that's the other thing, I couldn't turn around to get his plate or company name.
ZL1 Factory Reproduction Wheels, Airaid CAI, MRT V 2.0 Axle Back Installed by PIE Customs, Painted IOM Rally Stripes, Bowties by Danny Taylor Louisville KY, IOM Engine Cover and Fusebox Cover by River City Creations and Lighting San Antonio TX.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:26 PM   #9
Hetfield03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenring View Post
Glad it did not hit lower and go through the windshield, that would have cost less to replace the glass, but not your face.

Still sucks though.
Not my face, I'm too pretteh. Lol.
Thank you everybody for your concern.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:37 PM   #10
Tenring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfield03 View Post
Well, that's the other thing, I couldn't turn around to get his plate or company name.
Think they passed a national law awhile back that trucks are not responsible for cars damaged by debris.......trucks around here have signs on them.....stay back not responsible for damage to vehicles or something like that.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:38 PM   #11
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
That sucks man. Thank the Lord you weren't on a bike. For some reason, in Kentucky, dump truck drivers never cover their load. I was behind one on my Harley and he was dumping gravel every time he hit a bump. I pulled along side him and started raising cain. He did pull over and pull his tarp over the truck bed. The cops in Kentucky totally ignore dump trucks.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:47 PM   #12
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfield03 View Post
On a two lane in a construction zone with cones dividing us as the dump truck passed I hear a rock hit the roof that sounds right over my head. Are you serious??! Fuming as I can't even pull over to look for another two miles, I finally see the damage. Two inches above the windshield. Two dents one kinda deep and it wrinkled the metal pretty good too.

My pdr friend says he doesn't think he can fix it so I go to a body shop. Gonna have to remove the panel and fix it that way. Make the whole roof look new again. They gotta drop the ceiling and remove the Xm antenna. Metalwork, paint, clear... $848. Only thing that makes me feel a little better is it had a few hideouss cratches and some kind of spot that resembles tree sap that adhered itself to the paint that will be fixed as well. Bright sides, am I right?

Illegal in most states

In Texas, you have the right to call TDPS (State trooper) and follow the vehicle, wait for TDPS to pull them over to obtain their commercial insurance and a police incident report. If not, you can fill out the Texas Blue Form, damage is then covered under uninsured motorist. Hello dash cam, your mileage may vary by state.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:52 PM   #13
Tenring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
Illegal in most states

In Texas, you have the right to call TDPS (State trooper) and follow the vehicle, wait for TDPS to pull them over to obtain their commercial insurance and a police incident report. If not, you can fill out the Texas Blue Form, damage is then covered under uninsured motorist. Hello dash cam, your mileage may vary by state.
That is if the truck is not tarped/covered load, what if the truck is? They are not responsible?
Old 07-22-2015, 02:03 PM   #14
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenring View Post
That is if the truck is not tarped/covered load, what if the truck is? They are not responsible?
DOT language generally reads "nothing shall escape the commercial vehicle", irrelevant to being covered, tarped or otherwise thought to be secured. If in doubt, visit your local DPS office and ask to speak to an officer. They are more than willing to assist the public, at least my experience in Texas.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote