Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
E85LSX

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Stock Rocker Arm Failure- After Cam Install

The tittle pretty much explains it, I installed a new cam, springs and pushrods and had a stock rocker fail. The car was idling when I herd it start ticking, I shut her down opened the valve cover and saw this. The needle bearing that is pressed into the rocker came apart!

After researching this it looks like its not too uncommon a failure. There are even threads about this on the corvette forums, people have had this failure on unmodified ls engines.

Obviously my rockers were not up to the task of pushing those nice double springs with the bigger cam. . . lesson learned. Comp Cams makes an upgrade to the stock rocker. It replaces the stock trunion and bearings with upgraded pieces that have retaining rings to prevent the type of failure I just Experienced. Here is a link to the trunion upgrade I will be installing this week http://www.compcams.com/information/...yID=1508422545.

P.S. The aluminum after market rockers also fail, the tips where the pushrods mate up to them ocasionally break off. This is why I will be upgrading my stockers instead of buying after market aluminum ones.

This is just a heads up for all you guys changing your cams. . .
Attached Images

E85LSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Hmmm.....interesting
Old 09-26-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
Jason@RPM-Motorsports

Drives: 98 WS6
I had this happen on my 98 WS6 when it was stock with about 60K on the clock ... One of the tech's at the shop also had this happen to his car but I think his had over 100K on the clock and probally about 40K of those was with a big cam and dual springs.. I have been running a stock set that a customer gave me off his low mile LS2 with dual springs and a very aggresive cam for about 20K with no problems.. I really don't think this is a very common problem. I have seen a few others fail but only on high mileage cars. I did not know mine had done this until I changed the oil and found needle bearings on the magnet. David's at the shop was the same way he found out about his when he changed the oil. I am kinda suprised to hear about one failing on a newer car . It's just some peoples luck I guess.. I have a customer with a 140K stock LS1 that bracket races every weekend with a super aggresive cam, dual springs, stock rockers, and a 150 shot and has had zero problems doing this the past 3 years and he still drives it on the street. The Comp upgrade is the way to go if you don't want to have to worry about this problem !

Last edited by Jason@RPM-Motorsports; 09-26-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Jason@RPM-Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:34 PM   #4
Styffydawg
SSinister

Drives: Ram SS/T + Murdered Out 2SS/RS
IF you don't mind me asking why did you stop with the rocker arms instead of upgrading the whole valve train? Cost issue?

SSinister
Styffydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
E85LSX

Actually it wasn't a cost issue, I just never herd about this problem until after the fact. The comp upgrade for the stock rockers is only $130, that's pretty cheap insurance if you ask me. I wanted to post this so other people changing cans out there could consider upgrading the rockers at the same time, this may not happen with every cam change but just in case I think it's smart to upgrade anyway.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
freemaSSon
Pat @ ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: CGM SS/RS M6
LPE has been running VERY AGGRESSIVE cam profiles with the most aggressive proprietary lobe ramp rates you can buy on STOCK ROCKERS.

This failure is actually very very UNCOMMON. The "Yella Terra", one the most expensive aftermarket rockers fail all the time.

If anyone plans to run an aftermarket rocker it would behoove you to research Harland Sharp at http://www.harlandsharp.com. I personally ran his MODIFIED stock rockers. This picture is merely an example for these are LS7 rockers. HS replaces the bearing system with sealed neddle bearings.

"There are two types of racers: cheaters...and losers."
Smokey Yunick

freemaSSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
SSRS Steve

Drives: 2000 Z28 sold
I had 2 different cams in my Z06 Ls6 stock rockers no problems
SSRS Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:29 AM   #8
SSRS Steve

Drives: 2000 Z28 sold
HS make great rockers
SSRS Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #9
Jason@RPM-Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemaSSon View Post
This failure is actually very very UNCOMMON. The "Yella Terra", one the most expensive aftermarket rockers fail all the time.

I agree with the stock rockers for sure... As far as the Yella Terra goes we have sold/installed a ton of these with ZERO failures... Now Harland Sharp we have seen more than a couple of those break. Harland Sharp has made some changes to make them better from what Billy has told me . When it comes to anything performance related, parts are going to break. You will read about everyones parts breaking at some point.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
freemaSSon
Pat @ ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: CGM SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbadz28 View Post
When it comes to anything performance related, parts are going to break. You will read about everyones parts breaking at some point.
AMEN! It is all RUSSIAN RULLET at the end of the day.

I am just a proponent of anything OEM that is hearty enough to do the job then that is what you use. Harland Sharp modifies the stockers to PREVENT the exact failure the original poster had.

"There are two types of racers: cheaters...and losers."
Smokey Yunick

freemaSSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:40 AM   #11
Jason@RPM-Motorsports

Quote:
AMEN! It is all RUSSIAN RULLET at the end of the day.

I am just a proponent of anything OEM that is hearty enough to do the job then that is what you use. Harland Sharp modifies the stockers to PREVENT the exact failure the original poster had.

Yeah you always hear about that one failure and nerver about the 1000's that perform flawless day after day. Yeah I heard their modified stockers are sweet ! Thats what TSP runs on there record holding Heads cam car.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #12
kaltech tuning

Drives: All GM
Quote:
LPE has been running VERY AGGRESSIVE cam profiles with the most aggressive proprietary lobe ramp rates you can buy on STOCK ROCKERS.

If anyone plans to run an aftermarket rocker it would behoove you to research Harland Sharp at http://www.harlandsharp.com. I personally ran his MODIFIED stock rockers. This picture is merely an example for these are LS7 rockers. HS replaces the bearing system with sealed neddle bearings.

There have been plenty of these failures with stock rockers on the vettes since the introduction of the ls3. It does predominently seem to be an issue with the intake (offset) rockers on these motors. However this has been happening since the ls1 has been out, I just wonder if something about the offset rocker makes it worse. I've also seen breakage with yella terra and harland sharp rockers.
The upgrade the OP is refering to from comp does the same thing that Harland Shop does witht the stock rockers. My preference is to upgrade the bearings and reatain the stock rockers as they're lighter than the aftermarket options and I've yet to see the body of a stock rocker break, where I've seen that with aftermarket rockers.
kaltech tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #13
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
There have been rocker failures since the ls1 came out. Your going to have needle bearings in your oil pan.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #14
E85LSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
There have been rocker failures since the ls1 came out. Your going to have needle bearings in your oil pan.
I might drop the oil pan to take a look, I have to see what that job involves.

Kaltech, thanks for the advice on Saturday, I ordered the Comp upgrade and will post the pics and results as soon as I get them. I'm looking forward to getting her on your dyno again after I tune the cam in!