Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-07-2019, 05:32 PM   #1
FieroItaliano85

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS L99
2014 Camaro SS twin turbo boost issues

I’m having problems with my setup. I had the 10lb springs in the wastegates, the over boost on my GoFastBits III was set to 10.5 #’s, and my car would only boost 7lbs. I cut the wastegate spring pressure in half, now it will only boost 3lbs!!! What the heck am I doing wrong? Can someone please help? I need to see 10lbs of boost.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:14 AM   #2
UNRIVALED SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Send a message via Yahoo to UNRIVALED SS
I would say you’re waste gate isn’t as described. It may say 10 lbs but it’s obviously not and it’s opening soon. I would try another waste gate and see what happens .
UNRIVALED SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:16 AM   #3
FieroItaliano85

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNRIVALED SS View Post
I would say you’re waste gate isn’t as described. It may say 10 lbs but it’s obviously not and it’s opening soon. I would try another waste gate and see what happens .
I have two 38mm tial wastegates, which came brand new with my AGP kit. I’m going to put the 13# springs in and cross my fingers I hit 10lbs. I’m also going to double check my couplings in case one popped slightly off. I don’t know what else to do at this point
Old 07-08-2019, 01:37 PM   #4
steve7251

Drives: 2010 camaro
Check your gaskets on your BOV's .
steve7251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:32 PM   #5
1fast
8.60 @ 157 @ 4200lbs

Drives: 2010 Gen 5
If your running a 10lbs in your blow off valve and 10lbs waste gates I'd say your blow off valve is being pushed open
1fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:52 PM   #6
scv_guy

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FieroItaliano85 View Post
I’m having problems with my setup. I had the 10lb springs in the wastegates, the over boost on my GoFastBits III was set to 10.5 #’s, and my car would only boost 7lbs. I cut the wastegate spring pressure in half, now it will only boost 3lbs!!! What the heck am I doing wrong? Can someone please help? I need to see 10lbs of boost.
What boost level are you trying achieve? The rule of thumb is you can double your waste gate spring with a boost controller.
example 10psi spring with a good boost controller should make up to 20psi.
That all being said the PSI rating of the waste gate spring is an estimate, I run 14psi spring and my setup makes 13psi. I normally see 1-2 psi difference from the stated PSI rating.

As for your over boost setting, that's only going to come into play when your using the boost controller to raise the boost. So if your running a 10psi spring and say you make 10psi of boost if the boost controller saw an over boost condition it would not be able to dump the boost because your waste gate spring is controlling the boost not the boost controller.
scv_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:16 PM   #7
FieroItaliano85

Quote:
Originally Posted by scv_guy View Post
What boost level are you trying achieve? The rule of thumb is you can double your waste gate spring with a boost controller.
example 10psi spring with a good boost controller should make up to 20psi.
That all being said the PSI rating of the waste gate spring is an estimate, I run 14psi spring and my setup makes 13psi. I normally see 1-2 psi difference from the stated PSI rating.

As for your over boost setting, that's only going to come into play when your using the boost controller to raise the boost. So if your running a 10psi spring and say you make 10psi of boost if the boost controller saw an over boost condition it would not be able to dump the boost because your waste gate spring is controlling the boost not the boost controller.
Thank you for your input! And thanks to everyone else who chimed in here. All charge pipes/couplings were intact. I did find looser clamps on the passenger side turbo that connects to the plenum, but they weren’t super loose. I tightened them back up, installed the 13# springs, and wallah. Too much traffic to do a 100% full throttle pull, but I finally saw 9.9#’s
Old 07-08-2019, 07:30 PM   #8
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
Ya, a little loose fitting can wreak havoc on boost. Check tight is the first thing to do.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:46 PM   #9
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
Tial's spring chart shows a higher PSI listed for each springs than you'll usually get. This is because the listed pressure is measured as the gate is open ____mm on a test bench with no exhaust pressure pushing on the valve to push it open. In application you usually get a lower PSI. And it also depends how the vacuum lines are run to the gates, from a higher or lower pressure part of the system. You are reading intake manifold pressure, that is where the 'BOOST' is the lowest. The pressure at the turbos is usually a couple PSI higher.

Last thing, set your "Over Boost" function at least 1psi higher than your target boost or it's going to keep hitting it for a split second and dropping you down to spring pressure.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:44 PM   #10
FieroItaliano85

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP Turbo View Post
Tial's spring chart shows a higher PSI listed for each springs than you'll usually get. This is because the listed pressure is measured as the gate is open ____mm on a test bench with no exhaust pressure pushing on the valve to push it open. In application you usually get a lower PSI. And it also depends how the vacuum lines are run to the gates, from a higher or lower pressure part of the system. You are reading intake manifold pressure, that is where the 'BOOST' is the lowest. The pressure at the turbos is usually a couple PSI higher.

Last thing, set your "Over Boost" function at least 1psi higher than your target boost or it's going to keep hitting it for a split second and dropping you down to spring pressure.
I have my boost controller hooked up to the plenum, so that is where it’s reading on the controller. I appreciate your input! I think maybe I’ll install the 8# springs, and play with the duty cycle and gain until I hit my 10#’s of consistent boost. And I will also raise my overboost to 11#’s, it’s at 10.5 now. Thanks again!
Old 07-09-2019, 09:02 PM   #11
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
The rubber vacuum line out of your GFB is going to the plenum? Or do you mean the electronic solenoid is on the plenum pressure?
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:13 AM   #12
FieroItaliano85

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP Turbo View Post
The rubber vacuum line out of your GFB is going to the plenum? Or do you mean the electronic solenoid is on the plenum pressure?
The solenoid!!! Not the vacuum line lol sorry I should have been more clear.