Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-10-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
shanongw

Drives: Black 2LT w/RS
Send a message via AIM to shanongw
Improve Gas Mileage

Ok, I realize this may not be the best of questions considering I am driving a sports car, but it would help if anyone had any advice. My parents recently purchased me a camaro and I was wondering what is the best way to improve my gas mileage? As of this day, I have had the car 2 weeks and I have filled up my gas tank 3 times.
shanongw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Hi! Welcome to the forum and the club!
Must be nice!
Watch the right foot...that'll save ya some gas!
6M or 6A? Manual or automatic?
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
MikeL

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS
Drive a bit slower between lights. Dont take off really fast from dead stops. In general drive a little slower (dont know if thats possible in this car). Also if your engine isnt "Broken in" yet I heard they get way better gas mileage after a few miles are put on.
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
blkngldbabe
Barossa's handler

Drives: 2LT/RS RJT
My mileage significantly improved after a long trip on the highway (200 miles). Once i had 1500km it went from 15.6L/100km to 12.9.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
shanongw

Drives: Black 2LT w/RS
Send a message via AIM to shanongw
Its an automatic. And I guess that does make sense that when it's broken in it will have a little bit better gas mileage.
shanongw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
sprtplt

Drives: Corvette
I think taking off slow from stops gets WORSE mileage. You want to get the mass rolling in a higher gear as soon as possible. My unscientific checking bears this out. It does seem to be true that you have to drive like there is an egg under the gas pedal otherwise, for the best hyper-miling. Can't make myself do this in the Camaro but often do in the Silverado.
sprtplt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
If I try to go soft on the pedal to accelerate the car reacts badly. It feels overly sluggish and sometimes bucks a bit in addition to what feels like the AFM kicking on/off.

For most driving I accelerate at a reasonable pace, but I try to keep my distance from other cars so I do not have to Brake as much. That saves me some gas at least.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: Boeing 757/767+2010 IBM 2SS
Avoid drive-thru food..idling in the drive-thru costs money

Keep tires properly inflated--soft tires=more friction and less fuel economy

Plan 1 trip to run several errands (which allows engine to thermal-cycle 1 time) instead of multiple short trips which take more gas and see you retracing your steps

Avoid traffic---Rush hour sucks down gas

Drive sensibly...as others have said...rapid acceleration drinks down a lot of gas.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #9
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Welcome to the site and congrats on the car!

First rule of Camaro5.com --- the Camaro is not a sports car

As far as MPG, either you go slower off the line up to your desired speed or go faster off the line quicker to your desired speed, it's really awash.

It's like driving a truck with the tailgate down or up, either way with it up it creates a vortex in the bed which produces drag or if you put it down, the air then is sucked under the truck creating a vacuum under the truck. the difference in mpg is neglible.

There are studies out there showing the mpg difference is neglible for both accelerating quickly to highway speed or getting to highway speed slower. If take longer, you are still using gas, you'll theoretically use the same amount of gas as you would if you went faster to that speed in less time. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but seems logical.
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #10
trudawg660

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger / 2SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanongw View Post
Ok, I realize this may not be the best of questions considering I am driving a sports car, but it would help if anyone had any advice. My parents recently purchased me a camaro and I was wondering what is the best way to improve my gas mileage? As of this day, I have had the car 2 weeks and I have filled up my gas tank 3 times.
wish i had the mpg of the v6. the price we pay for a bigger engine
trudawg660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #11
SS4PK

Drives: 2010SS
Ours gets well over 100mpg when it's in the garage, although it seldom sits in the garage, I've learned you just drive what you want and put gas in it, It is "the cost of doing business". Welcome to the site.

Her Hot Rod.
SS4PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #12
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
On average you should be seeing a combined MPG of about 21-23mpg in the V6 auto.

How many miles are you getting per tank of gas?
What are your driving conditions like (stop/go, freeway, city, idling, etc...)?

I know people say that mileage improves as everything breaks in but I'm not so sure that's the case with the V6. I've got 14k+ miles worth of MPG tracking for mine and it's held pretty steady at just over 21mpg combined since day 1.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #13
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Driving speed under 35mph open your windows if its hot out, 35mph+ turn on AC. Don't use AC if you don't need to. I tend to find driving in Sports mode while on the Highway helps... and driving in Drive helps when there are lots of red lights.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #14
DayDreamer
Along for the ride!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS IBM
The best way to get great gas mileage and still show off your car would be to push it...

When I really want to save gas I avoid the break like the plague, do my best to time lights where they are green, get up 30 min earlier for work so I beat traffic, normal acceleration as opposed to open throttle. That was all the legal stuff. Then there is neutral coasting if you have long stretches of down hill road, or even shutting off the engine if you have down hill roads for a mile or more, but that is extreme... Just drive like you are 70 and you will notice an increase.
DayDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote