Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-10-2010, 05:33 AM   #1
intense1

Drives: 2011 2SS m6
Adam's question

Ok so I have used Zaino for years, but after spending some time on these boards, I've decided that Adams is the way to go. I have a 2011 IOM 2ss with white stripes. This is my plans, I will wash, and clay first using detail spray as the clay lube. Then by hand I will use swirl and haze, followed by revive. Finish it off with buttery wax. In between washes I will use detail spray and brilliant spray glaze. So this is my question should I perform all of these steps on the stripes as well, I was thinking of just using detail spray and the spray glaze on stripes, but I'm not sure. Also if any of my steps are wrong please tell me, I'm a pure novice when it comes to adams products, but looking forward to using them...
Old 07-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
For the stripes you could go that route, but the better solution is our Clear Polish.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
You probably won't notice any difference using the SHR by hand. Do you have a PC?
Old 07-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
DO NOT use SHR on the stripes!!!

and like dylan said, clear polish is all the stripes need.

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
intense1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
You probably won't notice any difference using the SHR by hand. Do you have a PC?
Nope, I'm afraid of the pc. Since I have never used one I don't want to start on this car. I will eventually get one and practice on other people's cars first. Right now the finish looks pretty good there are a few spots with some light swirl and webs, I'm hoping the SHR by hand will get those out.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #6
Alex

Drives: 2011 Camaro Silver Ice
I'm thinking of getting the factory grey stripes and was wondering about maintenance as well, should the stripes be clayed with the rest of the car?
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:01 PM   #7
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
I have CGM stripes on my rally yellow. I have clayed them before without issues. I wax them regularly. If you don't get matte stripes you can wax them without any issues.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:41 PM   #8
Alex

Drives: 2011 Camaro Silver Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LTRS View Post
I have CGM stripes on my rally yellow. I have clayed them before without issues. I wax them regularly. If you don't get matte stripes you can wax them without any issues.
Oh cool, thanks man
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
rcracer78

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by intense1 View Post
Ok so I have used Zaino for years, but after spending some time on these boards, I've decided that Adams is the way to go. I have a 2011 IOM 2ss with white stripes. This is my plans, I will wash, and clay first using detail spray as the clay lube. Then by hand I will use swirl and haze, followed by revive. Finish it off with buttery wax. In between washes I will use detail spray and brilliant spray glaze. So this is my question should I perform all of these steps on the stripes as well, I was thinking of just using detail spray and the spray glaze on stripes, but I'm not sure. Also if any of my steps are wrong please tell me, I'm a pure novice when it comes to adams products, but looking forward to using them...
Oh man!.....your arm is gonna be toast! I highly recommend you get yourself a Porter Cable. The difference in results will be night and day.
rcracer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
intense1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer78 View Post
Oh man!.....your arm is gonna be toast! I highly recommend you get yourself a Porter Cable. The difference in results will be night and day.
There's that big of a difference, I'm afraid that I might mess something up with the PC. I will eventually get one as I said before. Maybe I'll just do a clay and wax for now, then once I get some practice with the PC, I'll
try it on the camaro.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #11
Adam's Polishes

Really nothing to be afraid of with a PC - check these videos out for confirmation:

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4034

If you do decide to go by hand, just set reasonable expectations. You can REDUCE swirls and scratches by hand, but you won't REMOVE them. If you want a quick easy way to go then skip SHR and just do Clay>Revive>Buttery Wax.

SHR tends to be a bit of work by hand, but it will get you better results. Like anything detailing is a practice that you get out what you put in.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #12
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by intense1 View Post
Nope, I'm afraid of the pc. Since I have never used one I don't want to start on this car. I will eventually get one and practice on other people's cars first. Right now the finish looks pretty good there are a few spots with some light swirl and webs, I'm hoping the SHR by hand will get those out.
This product is absolutely safe, if you were near me I would let you use one on my car. Go to Adamspolishes.com and look at teh Junkman Section, he shows you actually how safe this thing is, he even lets kids do it at shows on show quality vehicle. It is very user friendly.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #13
redirish

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS/M6
How do you know if you need to use the swirl and haze remover or just the fine machine polish. I use waterless wash and I have some scratches from not using a duster before the wash. The scratches are in a straight line and not in swirls.
redirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #14
Adam's Polishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by redirish View Post
How do you know if you need to use the swirl and haze remover or just the fine machine polish. I use waterless wash and I have some scratches from not using a duster before the wash. The scratches are in a straight line and not in swirls.
trial and error, at least until you are well versed enough with the products to visually diagnose the paint.

Do a test section with the white pad and FMP... if it fixes it you have your answer, if it doesn't either do a 2nd pass or step up to Swirl & Haze Remover.

Always start with the least aggressive approach first, inspect, then proceed.