Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 11-23-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
MustangKillr

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I'm a bit reluctant

With a little less than 3 months left until the Camaro's release I gotta say that I'm getting a bit giddy with excitement. The only thing seperating me from buying one, however, is the lingering thought that something better is going to come out. Not neccesarily from another company, just a better version of the Camaro, such as the Z28. I would absolutely hate to throw down $36,000+ on a 2SS just to see a Z28 roll out the next year or even a couple years down the road with much more horsepower. Then I'm stuck in a debt hole paying off what was, at the time, the best Camaro on the market, and is now playing second fiddle to a whole new beast. Maybe it's just me that feels this way, but hopefully this stirs some discussion and someone can talk me out of thinking this way. I would love to have a 2SS if I knew that there wasn't another monster hiding out at GM, it's just in time for my 18th birthday too.
MustangKillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Hmmm. Your post has me a little torn myself. On one hand, I would say that if you go with your current thinking (wait and see if something better comes out), then you will never get a car because there will always be something bigger and badder down the road. Given the pressure facing GM right now, who knows what the future holds. I wouldn't think that turning out a Z28 wouldn't require a crazy amount of work, but it probably depends on what happens over the next 6-9 months for GM.

On the other hand, I am thinking if I were 18 would I really want to go $35k in debt over a car? Not so sure. Even if it is a Camaro. What do you have to lose if you wait until say August or September of next year? By then, we might know if a Z28 or something "better" will be coming out; we should know more about GM's financial position; you might even be able to pick up a Camaro for cheaper depending on how sales go.

So, I probably am not much help here and I don't think it is right for me to tell you what to do. But just read this and consider carefully. In the end, you will do the right thing for you.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
This is a silyy thing to even contemplate. At least have a pre-order and down-payment in so you can make a decision in March or April of next year with the car in front of you.. Make sure the deposit is refundable..
Old 11-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
i'm with camaropete. being over $35k in debt at 18 is not the smartest thing in the world. on top of that, your age + brand new car + lots of power = HUGE insurance premium. i don't know if you're considering college, but if so, keeping your grades up while trying to work enough to pay of your car, living expenses, insurance, gas, etc is TOUGH! (especially if your major has a big time commitment) just some things to think about.
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaropete View Post
Hmmm. Your post has me a little torn myself. On one hand, I would say that if you go with your current thinking (wait and see if something better comes out), then you will never get a car because there will always be something bigger and badder down the road. Given the pressure facing GM right now, who knows what the future holds. I wouldn't think that turning out a Z28 wouldn't require a crazy amount of work, but it probably depends on what happens over the next 6-9 months for GM.

On the other hand, I am thinking if I were 18 would I really want to go $35k in debt over a car? Not so sure. Even if it is a Camaro. What do you have to lose if you wait until say August or September of next year? By then, we might know if a Z28 or something "better" will be coming out; we should know more about GM's financial position; you might even be able to pick up a Camaro for cheaper depending on how sales go.

So, I probably am not much help here and I don't think it is right for me to tell you what to do. But just read this and consider carefully. In the end, you will do the right thing for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
This is a silyy thing to even contemplate. At least have a pre-order and down-payment in so you can make a decision in March or April of next year with the car in front of you.. Make sure the deposit is refundable..
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
i'm with camaropete. being over $35k in debt at 18 is not the smartest thing in the world. on top of that, your age + brand new car + lots of power = HUGE insurance premium. i don't know if you're considering college, but if so, keeping your grades up while trying to work enough to pay of your car, living expenses, insurance, gas, etc is TOUGH! (especially if your major has a big time commitment) just some things to think about.
Man, these guys really know what they're talking about.

Me, I'm 47, and getting older and in more pain in more places every day.

I want it all NOW! Before I can't enjoy it at all. I already think my bad back may be killing the Vette.

Who knows when Mr. Reaper will be visiting my address...

What will happen to muscle cars?

I'm gonna party like it's 1999. Damn, that sounded so futuristic when it came out.

camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:22 PM   #6
a6pk2go

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangKillr View Post
With a little less than 3 months left until the Camaro's release I gotta say that I'm getting a bit giddy with excitement. The only thing seperating me from buying one, however, is the lingering thought that something better is going to come out. Not neccesarily from another company, just a better version of the Camaro, such as the Z28. I would absolutely hate to throw down $36,000+ on a 2SS just to see a Z28 roll out the next year or even a couple years down the road with much more horsepower. Then I'm stuck in a debt hole paying off what was, at the time, the best Camaro on the market, and is now playing second fiddle to a whole new beast. Maybe it's just me that feels this way, but hopefully this stirs some discussion and someone can talk me out of thinking this way. I would love to have a 2SS if I knew that there wasn't another monster hiding out at GM, it's just in time for my 18th birthday too.

Do you seriously think you can afford a $37k car at 18 years old. What kind of koolaid have you been drinking. I make $50k a year and over $70-75K with my wife and no kids and I can't afford one. Unless of course you are going to live with you parents or they buy it and put it in their name. I would seriously check into what the insurance is going to costs not even counting the car payment. I wouldn't have ever been able to afford the insurance at your age. Just thinking your eyes are doing the thinking for you. I will probably end up getting the 1LT myself because I have bills that run over $3k a month. I'm not ordering until I can nail down a low interent loan and I have excellent credit. Just learned to thing things thought with age is all. Don't get in over your head at that age and don't get married until you are at least 27 yrs old and know a little more about life.
a6pk2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
Man, these guys really know what they're talking about.

Me, I'm 47, and getting older and in more pain in more places every day.

I want it all NOW! Before I can't enjoy it at all. I already think my bad back may be killing the Vette.

Who knows when Mr. Reaper will be visiting my address...

What will happen to muscle cars?

I'm gonna party like it's 1999. Damn, that sounded so futuristic when it came out.
Holy crap! I never thought of 47 being on death's doorstep. I hope you have lots of years to enjoy your ride.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:26 PM   #8
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Plus Killr, it looks like you have pretty nice Camaro ride right now.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:32 PM   #9
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Holy crap! I never thought of 47 being on death's doorstep. I hope you have lots of years to enjoy your ride.
45 going on 46 can be a killer also. I have a bad left knee from a tennis injury in high school. I have a bad back from carrying to many beer kegs when I owned nightclubs. And now I have 2 teenage daughters and soon to be 10 year old son. Not mentioning the 3 dogs, cat and wife.

I need my 2SS to make me at least think young again.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:40 PM   #10
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
45 going on 46 can be a killer also. I have a bad left knee from a tennis injury in high school. I have a bad back from carrying to many beer kegs when I owned nightclubs. And now I have 2 teenage daughters and soon to be 10 year old son. Not mentioning the 3 dogs, cat and wife.

Absolutely nothing wrong with feeling young again!
Old 11-23-2008, 03:40 PM   #11
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
another note on insurance... i'm almost 23 & recently quoted an 05 RX8. i've got a great driving record & it would still cost me over $2000 a year, so i reckon it would be even more for you on a SS
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:53 PM   #12
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Quote:
Thanks Pete. I smiled.

Quote:
Plus Killr, it looks like you have pretty nice Camaro ride right now.
That's a pretty nice ride, alright.

Quote:

Hi Scott - misery loves company - Thanks.

I've got GREAT news for you! When driving an LS3 Corvette, I feel NO pain!

Actually, it' starts when the engine cranks, and then ROARS to life. I can't think of anything else. Help is on the way!
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:56 PM   #13
a6pk2go

Drives: ...
Quote:

I think just having a good looking Camaro should take 25-30 yrs off our life and get us young again. LOL
a6pk2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:10 PM   #14
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
I respect wanting a Camaro SS or even thinking of waiting for a Z28...at 18 there is so much more that you need to do!!

College, live life to the fullest, love interests, sports, etc, etc, etc...don't put all your hope and future in a car please!!

I was once 18 and I too thought I needed the biggest baddest ride out there but I didn't do that. I bought a 78 Mecury Monarch and was happy I had time for family, friends, school and everything else!

Enjoy your youth and enjoy it without debt! You have the rest of your life to get the things you seek!
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote