Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-04-2009, 10:36 AM   #99
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
I'd take AK Mike's advice over mine since he's done the time. I was told a long time ago that about 90% of the reason you have a gun when you're fishing is to be a security blanket so you don't take off running. Having a reasonable defense helps make you calm so you can stand still or back up slowly or whatever you think is best instead of trying to outsprint a bear.

I personally carry a gun, but the bears really don't seem to care about you. They just keep on fishing.

To my knowledge, the only 3 animals in North America that attack and eat people in a purposeful way are mountain lions, alligators, and polar bears. I used to think it was the first 2, but I just watched a documentary about polar bears hunting people and the people hunting back. IMHO the animal that scares me the most in the wild is a moose.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #100
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
I'd take AK Mike's advice over mine since he's done the time. I was told a long time ago that about 90% of the reason you have a gun when you're fishing is to be a security blanket so you don't take off running. Having a reasonable defense helps make you calm so you can stand still or back up slowly or whatever you think is best instead of trying to outsprint a bear.

I personally carry a gun, but the bears really don't seem to care about you. They just keep on fishing.

To my knowledge, the only 3 animals in North America that attack and eat people in a purposeful way are mountain lions, alligators, and polar bears. I used to think it was the first 2, but I just watched a documentary about polar bears hunting people and the people hunting back. IMHO the animal that scares me the most in the wild is a moose.
Yea I've seen some scary shit about Polar Bears.... in fact just last week a kid had to kill one because the bear had been stalking him. That said, if there was one animal I wouldn't want to be anywhere near in the wild it'd probably be a Siberian Tiger. (Yes. Hypothetical) Those things are ridiculous. They hunt and eat grizzlies.

I'm not a fan off Moose, but at least with them I know I could climb a tree. lol.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:21 AM   #101
Curt@BMCPerformance

Drives: 2005 Ford Mustang GT
Isn't there some crazy hybrid bear now to it's a combo of a grizzly bear and a polar bear?
Curt@BMCPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #102
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt@BMCPerformance View Post
Isn't there some crazy hybrid bear now to it's a combo of a grizzly bear and a polar bear?
And it carries a chain saw.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #103
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Yea I've seen some scary shit about Polar Bears.... in fact just last week a kid had to kill one because the bear had been stalking him. That said, if there was one animal I wouldn't want to be anywhere near in the wild it'd probably be a Siberian Tiger. (Yes. Hypothetical) Those things are ridiculous. They hunt and eat grizzlies.

I'm not a fan off Moose, but at least with them I know I could climb a tree. lol.
LOL well if you find yourself in Asia facing down Siberian Tigers- then good luck to you lol.

Quote:
I think so. I don't know much about them accept that they (scientists) were concerned because of melting glaciers blah blah blah that their ranges were closer and you'd see more of them.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #104
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
LOL well if you find yourself in Asia facing down Siberian Tigers- then good luck to you lol.
I'd really be screwed.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:56 AM   #105
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised. If the polar bears' habitat is as threatened as the experts say it is, it would make sense that they would begin to move inland and possibly mate with grizzlies. The resulting hybrid would be more adapted to the new climate.

I know i've read about coyote/wolf hybrids in the states that are beginning to fill some of the niche's that wolves used to. Very interesting to see evolution in progress.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #106
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Hybrid.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #107
Brokinarrow

Quote:

Hybrid.
Guess I can't really spot the grizzly characteristics there. I'm sure there are, I just don't know what to look for vs a purebred polar bear....
Old 12-04-2009, 12:14 PM   #108
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Guess I can't really spot the grizzly characteristics there. I'm sure there are, I just don't know what to look for vs a purebred polar bear....
Claws, facial structure, overall build and the 'dark' in the face. Look's more like a white Grizzly than a brown polar bear.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #109
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Claws, facial structure, overall build and the 'dark' in the face. Look's more like a white Grizzly than a brown polar bear.
ok, gotcha. Very interesting.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #110
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
I havn't read this thread yet but i would stick to either the 44 mag, 454, or 50 smith and wesson on handguns. Anything else just isn't big enough.

I would personally bring a small lever gun in .45-70.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:25 AM   #111
orangetwk

Drives: 2010 IOM CAMARO
i would go with S&W 460 or my favorite BMG 50cal, 50 cal is to heavy whan tring to fish! I will try to post picts tomarrow.
orangetwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:53 AM   #112
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
I personally would just invite along MacGuyver and Chuck Norris as fishing buddies. MacGuyver to carry the paper clip that Chuck would kill the bear with.